• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 6, 2009
    I want to shoot my first deer. What type of rifle and ammo should I use to do so?

Is there a law stating that I can only use a certain type of ammo?

Apr 6, 2009
    what type of shotgun? and you would have to be about how many yards away to shot a deer?

i was thinking about getting a mossberg 590 for home protection, but I would think i would need a different type of rifle for hunting, right?

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Have you taken the Hunters Safety class? Many of your Qs can be answered there. And you need it to be able to purchase a hunting License.

Buck shot is shoot out of a smooth bore barrel. Slugs are shout out of a barrel that has rifling.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Novus - I agree, but doing a very slight amt of suring can answer 90% of his questions in a fraction of the time.

I'm glad to help any novice hunter or shooter, but I think one way to help is to direct him to an appropriate website rather than just the back and forth questions/answers.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am a 23 soon to be gun owner. I'm looking foward to taking a class just need some information on it.

Welcome to the wallet draining hobby of firearms. Please for your safety, and others, take a basic firearms safety course before buying or renting a gun at a local range. As noted, you must also take a hunter safety course before you can get your hunting license. The education and practical experience you will get from formal training will last a lifetime.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I am a 23 soon to be gun owner. I'm looking foward to taking a class just need some information on it.

First of all, you should start reading all the information you can get. The department of natural resources has a nice page online, that gives you many information on hunting. Feel free to go there and look up the regulations. They also list hunting classes in your area!
    Second, go to this link and sign up for the NRA for free, or you might end up having to hunt with a stick at some point.

After that, here is my advice:
    You seem to have no experience with hunting or firearms in general. There are many ways to harvest a deer and all of them require skill to some extent and a lot of patience. You can legally use either a modern rifle or shotgun, muzzleloader, bow or crossbow. Each of them works fine if the hunter knows what he or she is doing.
    After you find one method to your liking, try the weapon of choice on the range (preferably a borrowed one). Bows and crossbows require most training, firearms somewhat less. If you feel that you can hit a deer at the most likely distance with whatever you choose, you may want to go ahead, purchase said tool and train with it some more. If your choice is a rifle, make sure of hunting opportunities, where it is allowed. Not all counties allow deer hunting with a rifle but you will see that in the regs.

Then, go hunting with an experienced partner. I doubt that you know how to field-dress a deer and transport it back (which is a pain alone) and help will be really necessary.

Another good point of advice - make yourself comfortable with the area you want to hunt in well in advance. If you want, you can go in before season and stalk your prey with a camera. That way you will know what animal to look for where.

The education and practical experience you will get from formal training will last a lifetime.
    :rofl:
    Hunting course - how not to fall out of trees and how not to shoot yourself. Common sense should tell you 95% of the things they teach you, the rest is within the grasp of a 5-year olds reasoning.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    First of all, you should start reading all the information you can get. The department of natural resources has a nice page online, that gives you many information on hunting. Feel free to go there and look up the regulations. They also list hunting classes in your area!
    Second, go to this link and sign up for the NRA for free, or you might end up having to hunt with a stick at some point.

After that, here is my advice:
    You seem to have no experience with hunting or firearms in general. There are many ways to harvest a deer and all of them require skill to some extent and a lot of patience. You can legally use either a modern rifle or shotgun, muzzleloader, bow or crossbow. Each of them works fine if the hunter knows what he or she is doing.
    After you find one method to your liking, try the weapon of choice on the range (preferably a borrowed one). Bows and crossbows require most training, firearms somewhat less. If you feel that you can hit a deer at the most likely distance with whatever you choose, you may want to go ahead, purchase said tool and train with it some more. If your choice is a rifle, make sure of hunting opportunities, where it is allowed. Not all counties allow deer hunting with a rifle but you will see that in the regs.

Then, go hunting with an experienced partner. I doubt that you know how to field-dress a deer and transport it back (which is a pain alone) and help will be really necessary.

Another good point of advice - make yourself comfortable with the area you want to hunt in well in advance. If you want, you can go in before season and stalk your prey with a camera. That way you will know what animal to look for where.

:rofl:
    Hunting course - how not to fall out of trees and how not to shoot yourself. Common sense should tell you 95% of the things they teach you, the rest is within the grasp of a 5-year olds reasoning.

I am not sure about five year olds and there may be a few, but I have heard of seven year olds passing the course.
    There is no age limit for hunting in MD from what I understand.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I am not sure about five year olds and there may be a few, but I have heard of seven year olds passing the course.
    There is no age limit for hunting in MD from what I understand.

No, but it actually has a bunch of benefits, if you are under 16 and do the hunting safety course. I can at least vouch for one 8-year old taking the course and passing, so no - there is no requirement except that they might ask a responsible adult to sit in on the course with you.

Note: Resident Junior Hunters (under 16 years of age) will be entitled to a one-time FREE annual hunting license, bow stamp, and muzzleloader stamp upon successful completion of a Hunter Safety and Education course (bring form provided by course instructor to any DNR Licensing and Registration Service Center).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom