• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I wanted to pass this info along to others in case you are not aware of it.

So far this season I've taken a doe and a small buck in archery season so I thought I would re-read the regulations just to be on the safe side. I always purchase a bonus antlered deer stamp when I buy my license.

Let me preface this by saying I only hunt in "Region B" so I do not know if/how this impacts Region A. Reading this year's regulations, there has been a change in how the bonus stamp works. First off, as many of you know, they have cut back on the number of bucks. You get one per weapon (bow, muzzleloader, shotgun) and you are allowed one bonus buck for a total of four antlered deer.

In the past, if you took a buck, you would have to shoot two antlerless deer before taking a second buck in that weapon season. This is where the change is. Once you have taken two antlerless deer, you are free to use the bonus buck stamp in any season for the rest of the license year.

For an example: You buy the bonus stamp with your license and you take two does in early bow. Come shotgun season you kill a buck opening day. Since you already took two antlerless deer in bow, you can go ahead and shoot a second buck in shotgun without having to shoot two more does first.

I sent an e-mail to DNR to confirm this and the response is below.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Jake,

Thank you for contacting the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

Your interpretation is correct. You can take the two antlerless deer during any combination of weapon seasons and then use your bonus antlered tag in whatever weapon season you choose (only in Region B).

Have an enjoyable hunting season.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    i never buy my bonus stamp until i need to. i hate the idea of giving this greedy ass state any more money than i have to. F Maryland

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    Just out of curiosity, what stops someone from fraudulently calling in 2 does so they can proceed to use a bonus buck stamp? It seems like a loop hole since calling in two non existent does doesn't cost you anything due to the unlimited antlerless bag limit for bow.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Just out of curiosity, what stops someone from fraudulently calling in 2 does so they can proceed to use a bonus buck stamp? It seems like a loop hole since calling in two non existent does doesn't cost you anything due to the unlimited antlerless bag limit for bow.

somewhat a loophole for those that process their own deer meat. i think it gets check if you use processors. (just thinking out loud)

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD

I wouldn't call it a loophole since that would be illegal, but yes, it is easily done and I'm sure people have done it. That was one of the first things I thought of when they moved away from the check-in stations.

If you take your deer to a processor, they have a "butcher" tag you fill out with the confirmation number. But that doesn't stop anyone from saying they just cut up the two does. For me, I process my own deer when the temperature is cool enough, but take them to someone on the hot days to get it in a cooler. I'm sure many others do something similar. So not all of my deer go to a butcher.

Makes me wonder how far off the harvest data is considering the number of people that probably have checked in a couple does so they could go after another buck. Thinking of that pisses me off though as there have been a few instances where I had a nice buck (wall worthy to me) that I could have shot, but hadn't taken the requisite two does since the first buck. In each case the buck I couldn't/didn't shoot was bigger than the first buck I put a tag on.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Cheaters are going to cheat no matter what. Under the old system I've heard of people registering a road kill or legally killed fawn at 2 different registration stations. I've also heard of people shooting a deer near end of hunting time on a warm day and registration stations are closed and the deer is never taken to the registration station the next day. Personally I really like the phone in system.

somewhat a loophole for those that process their own deer meat. i think it gets check if you use processors. (just thinking out loud)

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    I like the phone-in system too. I use that over online as I'm afraid I will forget to check it in online once everything is all said and done.

Now that we have the DNR ID's, I wish they could rework the phone system to speed it up a bit, especially for subsequent check-ins. While I hunt three different properties, they all have the same county and land codes. Would be nice if you entered the DNR ID, and it spit out county/land codes of last check-in and asked if they apply to this deer.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

nothing...just like poaching:sad20: only the honest people stay honest...

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Back in the day when they had check in stations i hear stories of guys at a deer camp checking in the same doe ten times. Each time it was by a different guy just to get there two does out if the way without shooting them.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Nothing. And it is not only subject to Bow season.

Back in the day when you had to go to a check in station, things were a bit different. Today DNR just wants the "hunter" to go through "the motions". It's really more of an "honor system" than an actual legit count. Checking Deer in has nothing to do with the knowing if the hunter is following the rules at all. It is all about population control and knowing if the species is being over harvested or if the population is too high so the people in charge can adjust the bag limits.

This is why I always laugh at the final season counts posted by DNR of how many Deer or Turkeys, were taken in the state. What you have to realize is, this count is by far accurate in reality, but, it is a wide ballpark estimate. I figure that if you add 1500 to the final count posted by DNR at the end of the year, then you'll be much closer to the actual total.

These final counts also do not include the Deer taken on a Crop Damage Permit, which does have to be accounted for by the Permit Holder. CDP Deer have to be "checked in" just like a regular hunter has to do. I also know for a fact that Deer Shooters (CDP is not Deer Hunting) with CDP's do not check in most of the Deer they kill just so they don't have to renew, or cancel a permit, after they have met their limit. This also does not include the "virtual Doe" harvests as you question.

I will also have to say that the legal counts only come from those fellas who have to take their Deer to a meat processor, or Taxidermist, where the tag and check in confirmation # is required by the processor or the Taxidermist. The first question either of these two industries asks is, "DO YOU HAVE YOUR TAG AND CONFIRMATION NUMBER ?"

If you process your own kill, nothing prevents you from not checking in those big bucks either, which is 1) Unethical and 2) Against the law. This also is a major factor in throwing the DNR final counts out the window. These examples is where my previous statement of "add 1500" comes in to play.

On a side note. It also fascinates me that any DNR can publicly state a, what they call and accurate count" of the states Deer population when you include all of the above factors and also include the fact that even I can not get an accurate count of the Deer on my own farm, muchless try to guess, how many are in the entire state of Maryland. If you really ponder the idea, I think anyone will agree that the Big Game Harvest Check-In process has nothing to do with who killed what legally.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    I wouldn't call it a loophole since that would be illegal, but yes, it is easily done and I'm sure people have done it. That was one of the first things I thought of when they moved away from the check-in stations.

If you take your deer to a processor, they have a "butcher" tag you fill out with the confirmation number. But that doesn't stop anyone from saying they just cut up the two does. For me, I process my own deer when the temperature is cool enough, but take them to someone on the hot days to get it in a cooler. I'm sure many others do something similar. So not all of my deer go to a butcher.

Makes me wonder how far off the harvest data is considering the number of people that probably have checked in a couple does so they could go after another buck. Thinking of that pisses me off though as there have been a few instances where I had a nice buck (wall worthy to me) that I could have shot, but hadn't taken the requisite two does since the first buck. In each case the buck I couldn't/didn't shoot was bigger than the first buck I put a tag on.

Being a MD Hunter Safety Instructor, we've been told it happens that people "call in" does. It happens & they know it. They statistically smooth the numbers the best they can.

I greatly appreciate your honesty & sharing this as it encourages people to do the right thing. People don't realize that the event you described is fair chase. I will share your explanation with our students.

Thank you!

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Check in stations: guy suspected of "cheating" takes a doe to be checked. So, DNR hole punches an ear.

Doe showed up there 4x when they finally called them on it.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom