• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Can't sleep. Just woke up sweating from a dream of a gang of pillaging hooligans in Obama masks breaking into my safe with forks and spoons!

You can always have a welder come in and tack some thick steel on the outside. Since it is in your garage you should have no issue with flame/weld sparks

Eureka!

Psucobra96 thanks to you I've just had an epiphany.

There is nothing I can do to protect the safe from a determined thief but I can certainly increase their difficulty level quite a bit. From this point going forward I'll focus on how to better secure, the admittedly flawed, safe.

First, my garage is already setup on my alarm system. Perhaps I can have them put a sensor, of some sort, on, near and/or inside the safe itself.

My original plan was to put the safe in the back of the garage. Now I think a much better spot would be in the left corner nearest to the garage door. That way, given the orientation of my garage, the safe wouldn't be visible from the outside every time I open the garage door. The fewer people that know I have a safe the better.

This location also has the added benefit of protecting the safe on both the left side and the back. A burglar would have to go through the siding and cinderblock walls of my garage, without drawing attention or triggering the alarm, just to get to those sides. Which is theoretically possible but doing so would elevate the theft attempt from a simple hammer strike to a major operation.

With two sides protected and the bottom of the safe securely bolted to the concrete floor, the only easily accessible areas remaining would be the top of the safe, the right side and of course the front door. I could conceivably put stud secured metal shelving over the safe and perhaps something similar on the right side as well, protecting those areas from a quick hammer attack or similar simple intrusion attempt.

That would leave the front of the safe as the most vulnerable area. Which, thanks to psucobra96's suggestion, I could secure with a custom fashioned welded metal plate.

Now, the question becomes, is all of this worth the trouble and how much would it cost to have a steel plate welded onto the front door of the safe. There's also the unpalatable but ever present option of cancelling the order/refusing delivery and starting over from scratch.

Any other ideas, thoughts or suggestions out there?

Last edited:

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Sorry man, wasn't trying to get you down. Still a heck of a lot better than a closet!

I would make it as difficult to attack the sides/back/top as possible. Make sure to bolt it down, and definitely keep it somewhere that can't be seen when your garage is open. It sounds like you're on the right track.

The toughest part about buying a safe is taking all that money and putting it towards a simple steel container. Soooo many other things that are more attractive buys. However, when you think of the totality of your firearm collection (also jewelry, important docs, etc), it's a no brainer. You're not so far off cost wise from a sturdy or amsec, if you can save a bit more I swear to you it is worth it. Besides, you're already worried about how thin the walls of your safe are, and we buy safes in some capacity to give us peace of mind. It has already failed you in that sense.

If it were me I'd cancel and make the painful decision to up the budget/save. But if you can't, it sounds like you're on the right track in making it more difficult to break into the one you bought. Good luck!

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    For moving a safe, I bought a steelwater safe a few years ago. Like most safe deliveries they leave it on the curb. The safe I got is about 700 lbs. My adult son and myself used a hand truck and while it wasn't exactly easy as we had to get it down a gravel driveway to the walk in basement it was manageable. Last weekend I got a hair up my rear and decided to straighten up the basement, get rid of somethings. When I was done I decided that the safe was on the wrong side of the basement from where I really would like it. Problem was that I get up real early like around 1AM. I was just puttering around the basement around 3 AM when I decided to move the safe of course no one was up that could help me and I had already emptied it and was too impatient to wait for help, so with the hand truck and all the muscle I have, I just barely managed to get it moved.

If you decide to start over again on your quest for a safe, I would suggest looking at Steel waters web site, when I bought mine shipping was free and the customer service was very good. Prices seemed very reasonable to me.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Buy a workout mat and cut it to the size of the safe. Once you have it in place, bolt the safe to the floor using at least 3" long lags/concrete fasteners.

Don't give the bad guys any additional leverage to get under the safe to pry it from the floor.

If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it. These precautions are only going to prevent the honest crooks from stealing it.

As far as rust prevention, a heavy layer of good gun rust preventer. A dehumidify heat rod or 2. Anything else you can thing of to help with preventing rust.

Good Luck!

Good advice here.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You may want to do some homework.

Here is a suggested video of good things to consider when buying a safe (It's long, but very educational):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

Good luck!

Excellent advice. There are a few real safe experts on this forum, and over the years this topic has been discussed numerous times. You might want to also search this forum and peruse those threads. There are lots of options for securing firearms, other than low quality metal boxes that look like safes.

Good luck!

I cancelled my order with Home Depot.

The bottom line came down to something my compadre Pmbspyder said, the safe, no matter how I augmented it, would NEVER give me the peace of mind that my valuable items were reasonably protected.

It would be one thing if I already had the safe installed and I then realized how vulnerable it was. If that had happened I'd be calling welders today. But I was lucky. Thanks to this board I found that out BEFORE it was delivered.

In my circumstance trying to beef up a tin box by welding real steel to it just doesn't make any sense. God knows how much it would cost, how effective it would be and what it would look like when completed. I could end up with a big old country fried mess on my hands.

Why not just bite the friggin' bullet, spend a little more money and buy a real fortress of steel to start out with?

And that, my friends, is exactly what I intend to do.

Along those lines any and all suggestions on safes including manufactures, distributers, wholesalers, discouts, youtube vids, forum articles, installation tips and just about anything else are welcomed without reservation.

I'm now beginning the process to acquire a safe by becoming an educated consumer. I'm not rushing into anything. The next safe I buy will not be done with blind price conscious haste but with deliberate value conscious speed.

...If you decide to start over again on your quest for a safe, I would suggest looking at Steel waters web site, ...

I did just that! :)

They have some quality safes at fair pricing plus they offer FREEE, to the garage, delivery. Which for me is a huge selling point. There are a couple of models with 9 gauge steel that are currently discounted that are at the top of my NEW consideration list.

You may want to do some homework.

Here is a suggested video of good things to consider when buying a safe (It's long, but very educational):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

Good luck!

I watched it and recommend it to anyone considering a safe. .(Although the very knowledgeable salesman clearly is pushing Ft Knox.) It really makes clear that steel-- real steel-- is king and you can't determine that by thickness alone (that's what she said).:rolleyes:

In fact their are a ton of youtube videos on safes that I've found instructive since starting with yours.

Excellent advice. There are a few real safe experts on this forum, and over the years this topic has been discussed numerous times. You might want to also search this forum and peruse those threads. There are lots of options for securing firearms, other than low quality metal boxes that look like safes.

Good luck!

Thanks.

Just about to do a forum search for safes.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Glad you got sorted out and made an informed decision!

I'm an admitted sturdy safe fan, they have the thickest steel for the price and install commercial fire lining, not drywall (I think an extra $400 but worth it). I would give them a look, they don't charge for shipping and they have bulletproof customer service.

Also, if you end up going sturdy, call them for an official quote, it will save you several hundred off advertised web prices. Amsec was my second choice, but for the same price I got thicker steel with sturdy. Won't be a showpiece in your living room, but the thing is all business.

Most of the folks that work in the safe industry on these boards would probably recommend buying a used "TL" rated safe, but between the budget and the weight it's not realistic for a lot of folks. Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Glad you got sorted out and made an informed decision!

I'm an admitted sturdy safe fan, they have the thickest steel for the price and install commercial fire lining, not drywall (I think an extra $400 but worth it). I would give them a look, they don't charge for shipping and they have bulletproof customer service.

Also, if you end up going sturdy, call them for an official quote, it will save you several hundred off advertised web prices. Amsec was my second choice, but for the same price I got thicker steel with sturdy. Won't be a showpiece in your living room, but the thing is all business.

Most of the folks that work in the safe industry on these boards would probably recommend buying a used "TL" rated safe, but between the budget and the weight it's not realistic for a lot of folks. Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

I have a sturdy as well, and will echo these comments.
    Also, most of their safes are built to order. If you call, they may have one already built that someone canceled on or quit paying on. It will save you some wait time. Some idiot paid half of the one I have, then quit paying for over a year. So they sold me that one. And if the guy ever decides to pay it off, he will have to wait for them to build another one.

The freight company also dropped mine in the garage(still on the pallet though).

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I'll get all of you down. Anything sold as a gun safe can be gotten into with a few hand tools and 20 minutes. The best thing to make a safe secure is to position it to make it hard to get to with tools. Inset in a tight closet or even build a box around it to keep pry bars out or an area it is difficult to swing an ax in is the goal.

I am normally not a fan of alarm systems because due to the time it takes for the alarm co to get the alarm, look up the customer specified protocol and the call to work its way through the police dispatch, all they do is let you know your stuff is missing sooner. The exception is if you have a safe. Even s cheep I gun locker will keep them occupied until the police get there.

Twofer

Regular Guy
    Dec 13, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Thanks.

Just about to do a forum search for safes.

I was searching for gun safes a little over a year ago. My conclusion was: There's no possible way to spend enough money on a gun safe.

Less than $1000? Might as well gift wrap it.
    $1000? Thin steel.
    $1500? Chinese crap.
    $2000? Barely adequate.
    $20,000,000? No teleporter jamming to stop thieving space aliens.
    ... and so on.

I settled on a Liberty safe. I can't remember if it was the Franklin or the Colonial. $1800 delivered to the curb. It came on a pallet. My brother and I rocked it into place, slid it off the pallet, and bolted it to the concrete floor. I found a home depot that rented concrete drills, so that was quick and easy.

I took the cardboard box it came in, flipped it inside out, and use it to cover the safe. Kind of cheesy, but makes it a lot less obvious to someone just walking by.

The door organizer is great for handguns.

safe-franklin-35-gray-marble-gray-fabric-img-s6_g34_gp69_ch1_ce11_ci3.jpg

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't think the price on this safe is that great. Seems to me the "free" shipping is included in the price.

unclebuck

Jan 26, 2013
    Here's a link to some options to consider:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

There were some threads/flamewars on arfcom and other sites which Frank Zykan (a1abdj screen name) commented in which bring up good points to consider (what tools can get through what thickness of steel, some types of composite construction may be better options than thicker steel, will fire protection be of any use, the "safe" is just one layer of protection, etc.)

Lostinbmore

Junior grade mop slopper
    Dec 19, 2012
    Baltimore
    I don't want to be the sole voice of opposition here, I guess I am.there's obviously a difference between a gun cabinet and a gun safe. I concede the fact that not all safes are created equal and that every safe can be compromised.

The idea of putting your valuables in the safe is only to inconvenience the thieves until the authorities are arrive. Buying a quality made gun safe (even if it can be pried open with 6' pry bars and 350lb jug heads) is still a better option than not having one. I don't know about any of you, but the common thieves in my neighborhood are smashing grab young adult punks. The best prevention of thieves from attempting my safe is that they don't know it's there. Keep your safe out of sight and don't draw attention to it. Keep it in a room that the Comcast guy or the presto electric guy never gets to see it...ever. For most of us we will never live in opulent homes where professional thieves might actually turn a profit by breaking into our homes. Anyone that came to my house would be more interested in stealing Xbox's and TVs then hunting through the rooms looking for a 40 gun safe. I know that there are stories that float around these forums about people safes that were knocked over in all of their valuables were stolen but I don't believe any of them that I have read where ever substantiated., but I'm sure they exist.

But the best rated safe you can afford with the thickest steel. Don't get lost in forums written by elitists that their way is the only way or worse videos that portray every safe as being a can of spam waiting to be opened. It's just not there. Now, if your safe is attempted... Bet your ass they are coming back to see what's in that safe and they will come better equipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom