• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Don't get too hung up on Arsenal. I have a couple good guns but not the "head and shoulders" people claim. Even in their day (e.g., SLR95) the machining was good but the finish was basically spraypaint (and yes I still covet my SLR95 and its finish is crap!)

I have been a big fan of real FEG's, that looks like abut the same as any AK parts kit jobbee. Honestly, if I was in a friendly state my top current production AKs would be:

SLR107 (ok the finish wipes off but its still a good setup)
    PAP
    Century Model 39, yes they are Century but not assembled by them. They are milled.
    Jury is still out on PSA

Stuff floating around shows

Any Mak90
    Any SLR
    Id grab one of those Iraq contractor guns that are still hanging around $500. They may be WASRs but that's pretty cool history.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I have been a big fan of real FEG's, that looks like abut the same as any AK parts kit jobbee. Honestly, if I was in a friendly state my top current production AKs would be:

So what about it makes you think it's from a parts kit? Done by the importer or done at home? The receiver is stamped FEG and Made in Hungary. I see around the web people seem to really like these AK's.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    So what about it makes you think it's from a parts kit? Done by the importer or done at home? The receiver is stamped FEG and Made in Hungary. I see around the web people seem to really like these AK's.

Its not that its a bad AK, SA85s are premium. But...........this one has very few details. A true pre-ban Kasner SA85 should have matching furniture and be stamped Kasner. $2,000 gun absolutely.

Lets move on to postban. You are looking at something that was originally a dumbhole which this one may have been

435959_02_hungarian_feg_sa_85m_ak_47_640.jpg

The gun in the picture could have looked like that, but right now its sporting a mix of poly. It may be worth it with more details, it may not. There are better deals out there. A FEG 85 was a nice AK but it was still just a low-import stamped gun, about the same quality as the early Chinese guns.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Its not that its a bad AK, SA85s are premium. But...........this one has very few details. A true pre-ban Kasner SA85 should have matching furniture and be stamped Kasner. $2,000 gun absolutely.

Lets move on to postban. You are looking at something that was originally a dumbhole which this one may have been

435959_02_hungarian_feg_sa_85m_ak_47_640.jpg

The gun in the picture could have looked like that, but right now its sporting a mix of poly. It may be worth it with more details, it may not. There are better deals out there. A FEG 85 was a nice AK but it was still just a low-import stamped gun, about the same quality as the early Chinese guns.

Soooooooooooooooo...back to my original question. Can I find a better AK under $699?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's up to you. The SA85 is a fine gun, one of the better stamped guns for fit and finish (and yes I was buying them back in the day). But there is nothing super special there that will shoot measurably better than a good Mak90. The one you are looking at has been monkeyed with, has cheap plastic parts, and you don't know what else.

If it were my money in a friendly state I would double down on PAPs and Centurions before buying that. They probably will be equal or better guns in the long run.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    That's up to you. The SA85 is a fine gun, one of the better stamped guns for fit and finish (and yes I was buying them back in the day). But there is nothing super special there that will shoot measurably better than a good Mak90. The one you are looking at has been monkeyed with, has cheap plastic parts, and you don't know what else.

If it were my money in a friendly state I would double down on PAPs and Centurions before buying that. They probably will be equal or better guns in the long run.

Gotcha, thanks for the info!

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    PA seems to have some aversion to the AK47. I hardly see any sitting in shops and anything of quality seems to get snapped up pretty quickly. I saw a Mak90 sitting used at Trop and they wanted 7 or 800 for it. It was gone in like 3 days.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I've kicked around the idea of selling a NIB pre ban Poly Spiker but, it would obviously be more than 700. It sits in the safe since I can't buy another and can't sell it in MD. Maybe I will just shoot the damn thing and keep it forever.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    At that price it's most likely a postban SA85m. I have one, the Hungarians built quality AK's. The SA85's pre and post ban are some of the best AKM's to have been imported into the US.

The rifle the OP linked( if post ban) has been debanned, meaning the butthole stock removed, gas block with bayo lug added and the muzzle threaded. Somebody also added a Russian side folder, in doing so they altered the receiver, to me as a collector this detracts from the value.

I wouldn't buy it without looking at it in person, this could be a Bubba job. They still pop up on gunbroker and WTS ads for about the same price or just a little bit more.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    you have no idea who did the trunnion work or what kind of parts they used. I wouldn't buy it for 700. New production WASR 10/63 or OPAP would be a better option. If you can swing it save up 950 and go with the SLR107-FR

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I handled about 10 different AK's at the shop, put the FEG on layaway. It was much smoother and had a better finish than a lot of the newer guns. Fingers crossed that bubba didn't do anything terrible to it!

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I handled about 10 different AK's at the shop, put the FEG on layaway. It was much smoother and had a better finish than a lot of the newer guns. Fingers crossed that bubba didn't do anything terrible to it!

Post some pics when you get a chance.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I'm just hoping it's not a Bubba build on a FEG receiver. FEG receivers were available for sale not that long ago. I hope it's really an import rifle.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm just hoping it's not a Bubba build on a FEG receiver. FEG receivers were available for sale not that long ago. I hope it's really an import rifle.
    Any distinguishing serials on those receivers? Mine is SM 00236 or something like that which I assumed was a kbi import number

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom