• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Alrighty, I've decided to undo the havok I brought on this poor Chinese SKS 11 years ago. As it sits, Fiberforce Dragunov stock, detachable magazine, scoped receiver cover. Now the main question is, I'd like to go back to a more traditional style and just use the tech sight rear aperture. Thinking of either standard wood or the Choate conventional style(the ATI MC is a no go being that I fire lefty). Do any of y'all have any experience with the Choate and does anyone know of any good source at all for original fixed mags? Those things are surprisingly hard to come by lol.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Gunbroker will have everything you need.

Liberty Tree Collections is a good source too.

And replacing black plastic with black plastic is not part of the deBubbafication process.

Good luck.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Found some OK prices on Gunbroker, still hit or miss on fixed magazine at least. Will check out Liberty Tree as well, original wood is still on the table, just contemplating the Choate for its length of pull without having to add a huge wonky spacer.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Seems most pages have some really obscure small parts but damned if one can find the magazine in stock haha. Guess I'm gonna have to pony up and pay the premium for one of the ones i've found on ebay or gunbroker. Still up in the air on what stock to go with, have also been contemplating the chinese fiberglass just for something different. Thanks for the suggestions thus far, keep em coming of course

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    contemplating the Choate for its length of pull without having to add a huge wonky spacer.

Millions of conscripts throughout history have had no problem adapting to the length of pull without buying a half-assed-quality (at best) plastic stock. ;)

restore it to its proper form and enjoy it for what it is....without trying to make it something it isn't. :thumbsup:

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Ah, but why adapt to the LOP when I can adapt it to myself of course ;) I hear what you're saying without a doubt which is why I'm exploring my options thoroughly first. I didnt particularly dislike the wood stock back then, was just young and had no real options for a "tactical weapon platform", hence the current draggy style stock. Definitely intrigued by the ugly as sin chinese fiberglass though, the choate conventional just seems like a nice way to take it back to original look while making it at least slightly different than the thousands already out there. This one is in no way a collectors item or museum quality piece as well. If it were Albanian well then I'd feel very dirty changing anything on it lol.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Millions of conscripts throughout history have had no problem adapting to the length of pull without buying a half-assed-quality (at best) plastic stock. ;)

restore it to its proper form and enjoy it for what it is....without trying to make it something it isn't. :thumbsup:

I just recently put my SKS back where it belonged. Took off the scope and detachable mag and went back to basics. Luckily I had kept everything. I enjoy shooting it more now that it's the way it was meant to be.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Which is why I'm doing roughly the same, dont want pistol grip or any of that nonsense, just a fun shooter. Definitely want to give the tech sight a whirl though. Like the idea of it

Feb 28, 2013

Well said.:thumbsup:

Not to mention all the soldiers from all over Asia that fought with them.

Mine is a 1954 Tula, and WILL remain devoid of plastic as long as I can help it.

Feb 28, 2013
    Alrighty, I've decided to undo the havok I brought on this poor Chinese SKS 11 years ago. As it sits, Fiberforce Dragunov stock, detachable magazine, scoped receiver cover. Now the main question is, I'd like to go back to a more traditional style and just use the tech sight rear aperture. Thinking of either standard wood or the Choate conventional style(the ATI MC is a no go being that I fire lefty). Do any of y'all have any experience with the Choate and does anyone know of any good source at all for original fixed mags? Those things are surprisingly hard to come by lol.

Let's have a picture of this thing so we can see exactly what you're dealing with.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    Ill have to look. I might have a chinese top cover and mag still in a drawer, but i am not 100% sure on the mag, i might have already sold it.

Not a big deal, just found a magazine on ebay for not too bad, if you come across the receiver cover let me know, but not a huge deal. That magazine is the real bear to find as I've discovered in my searching. Really kicking myself for losing track of the original parts over the years.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Just looked, No mag and the original style top cover is a Yugo 59/66 cover. I do have two Norinco scope mount covers like these, but you said you want a original style

350jxo1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom