• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    So, with the passage of Dear Jr. Leader's gun grab package, I find myself needing to get off my backside sooner than budgeted to start purchasing. Already have the AR parts on order, thanks to the Engage Gen Deux lower posts. Now, on to the handgun side of the house. Since time is short, and I have not decided how I want to play in the "license" arena, thinking of biting off the 1911 as the first choice.

Looking for one that is a consistent shooter, decent feel, but not necessarily competition grade (that will come later, after I decide what handgun competition styles I want to get into). Currently, I think I have narrowed the field down to the following, based on a couple of test fires at ranges here and in MO:

1. Sig Sauer 1911 TACOPS Carry
    2. S&W 1911TA
    I know about the external/internal extractor issues, from watching some of the posts here. Any thoughts or comments on the reliability of either platform?

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So, with the passage of Dear Jr. Leader's gun grab package, I find myself needing to get off my backside sooner than budgeted to start purchasing. Already have the AR parts on order, thanks to the Engage Gen Deux lower posts. Now, on to the handgun side of the house. Since time is short, and I have not decided how I want to play in the "license" arena, thinking of biting off the 1911 as the first choice.

Looking for one that is a consistent shooter, decent feel, but not necessarily competition grade (that will come later, after I decide what handgun competition styles I want to get into). Currently, I think I have narrowed the field down to the following, based on a couple of test fires at ranges here and in MO:

1. Sig Sauer 1911 TACOPS Carry
    2. S&W 1911TA
    I know about the external/internal extractor issues, from watching some of the posts here. Any thoughts or comments on the reliability of either platform?

S&W impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fSVKs_-2EQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTctyQhmIoU

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Springfield 1911 Loaded... 8 years, several thousands rounds, no malfunctions. And it's a nail driver!

Not a fan of non-US companies doing the 1911, and still holding a grudge against S&W (going on 2 decades) :innocent0

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I recently went thru the process of my first 1911 choice.

Came close to getting the Sig Scorpion. But ended up going more traditional with a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded Parkerized. Currently it's in purgatory for the next couple of months while I wait on MSP with everyone else..

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I already have one of these: The S&W Doug Koenig Performance Center model. 45 acp...Accurate as hell. This thing shoots the tightest groups of any hangun I have ever owned.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57754_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Today, I committed to buying one of these: SW1911 Pro Series in 9 mm. This comes with two Wilson Combat mags.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57775_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

A couple years back I had ordered a Sig 1911 but the wait got the best of me. Finally, I just took something my dealer had in stock, which was the Doug Koenig 1911.
    I have a couple other 1911's but I like the S&W the best.

TimG

Aug 14, 2012
    Sig 1911 Nightmare is my go to firearm. No matter what I pick up. I am not at all impressed the the S&W line no matter what level you look at. Springfield also produces a very nice 1911 firearms. Springfield, Sig, Kimber in the order of $ would be my picks.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Springfield 1911 Loaded... 8 years, several thousands rounds, no malfunctions. And it's a nail driver!

Not a fan of non-US companies doing the 1911, and still holding a grudge against S&W (going on 2 decades) :innocent0

Hate to tell you, but your Springfield is not a Made in The USA 1911 either.

All Springfield pistols, includng their 1911s are made in Brazil by Imbel. The Springfield "loaded" with the "Made In The USA" stamp on the side, is in fact made in Brazil, but finished in Illinois to recieve the "Made In The USA" stamp.

Last edited:

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick

Hate to tell you, but your Springfield is not a Made in The USA 1911 either.

All Springfield pistols, includng their 1911s are made in Brazil by Imbel. The Springfield "loaded" with the "Made In The USA" stamp on the side, is in fact made in Brazil, but finished in Illinois to recieve the "Made In The USA" stamp.

All of the forgings begin in Brazil. Some entire pistols are assembled and finished there, some in USA, depending on the model. There is a good amount of debate about where the steel comes from on a lot of "American" 1911s. I'm not saying this as a detractor to any of them. I have 3 Springfield Armory 1911s.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Forget the Springfields, SIGs, and Numbers. Completely overpriced and many need work to be reliable.

Mid priced:
    Remington
    Ruger
    Smith and Wesson

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I was thinking about buying a Les Bear the last couple weeks. Problem is I assumed that I would be waiting longer than I really want to (assuming I would have to order it).
    I have not checked, but thought it would be impossible to find one within driving distance and actually buy it before Oct. 1, 'cause I have no intention of doing this 'Owe'malley handgun license' thing, at least for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom