• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I actually hope they vote on this bill and all gun bills including the AWB / magazine capacity on the full floor. That will get them on record. It will never become law anyway (think House) but will "out" those who are trying to have it both ways - then the NRA can go to work on those senators representing states more friendly to the 2A than is Maryland.

Harry Reid knows that hence his previous reluctance to allow a floor vote.

I hope it goes this way. Then folks can get 'Manchined' and learn a hard lesson about treachery.

ricuser

Nov 7, 2010
    Anne Arundel County
    Although it is probably never going to pass the house, this "common-sense" bill is a Trojan horse. The antis clearly mean to hang the Feinstein bill on it as an amendment and they want to gut FOPA. It is already hard enough to get through New York with guns; the last thing we need is New York police demanding we prove our innocence (read the link).

rac74

Si vis pacem,para bellum
    May 27, 2009
    Occupied Carroll County
    " The antis clearly mean to hang the Feinstein bill on it as an amendment and they want to gut FOPA."

I've see this confirmed in several different reports.........

45-70

Jan 23, 2013
    North Central MD
    From what I've read about the compromise proposal, doctors can report your name to NICS as a disqualified person. They can do this without informing you if they think you shouldn't own a gun.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    From what I've read about the compromise proposal, doctors can report your name to NICS as a disqualified person. They can do this without informing you if they think you shouldn't own a gun.

If you go back to Obama's big speech on gun control, he was pushing this notion.

And that's when we should have all gotten worried.

Putting the onus on doctor's to judge whether we should be able to have a firearm, which is the default position, is going to create a liability they won't want to take on.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Actually the WaPost has some details....the thing that interests me is they seem to be setting it up so the background check cant take more than 3 days

Which would create a fascinating preemption case here in MD

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    "online gun sales"

Am I missing something, is there a wonderland where I can buy a gun online and have it shipped to my home and bypass the whole system?

I was just about to post the same thing. I have seen this over and over:

Several Senate aides and lobbyists said the compromise would extend background checks to transactions at gun shows and online.

Also heard it on the radio. What in the hell are they talking about.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    From reading Toomey's release, this would do essentially nothing. Background checks for gun show and online sales are covered by NICS and interstate travel is covered by Peaceable Journey.

What am I missing?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    From reading Toomey's release, this would do essentially nothing. Background checks for gun show and online sales are covered by NICS and interstate travel is covered by Peaceable Journey.

What am I missing?

I want to read the bill, that is the only way to see if he is sacrificing phantom loopholes the idiot media keeps spouting off, require a background checks on internet sales and through FFLs, in exchange for real benefits like interstate handgun sales, and no NICS check from FFLs if you have a LTCF, that would be good. I don't think that is the case though, considering that Rep Metcalfe(our Smigiel)is really leery of it. I have met both, Toomey seemed cool, but when push comes to shove I don't trust him, Metcalfe has earned my trust and respect to a degree that if he is leery of Toomy's bill, I am leery of it

Here is a letter from Daryl Metcalfe, and some friends.
    View attachment ToomeyLetter.pdf

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

What am I missing?

This was what we were discussing last night, that it basically codifies existing law. We had to just go off of the subtitles and the scroll at the bottom of the screen, but the talking points seemed to be an homage to what is already the law.

The only fear I have is that it creates a habit of tinkering with the federal gun laws and gives them the mojo to keep at it until they do find something that really screws us over.

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    As Mark Levin said, "You don't have an up or down Vote on an Amendment in the Constitution! This isn't some Constitutional Convention!!"

Write your Senators and others, others' Senators' Votes will affect your life and that of your offspring.

As well, your Money can go to their opponent in the Primaries.

As to the idea that this bill does nothing, I get the sentiment. But, it does Damage. It erodes the 2nd Amendment that it would even get this far; that in some 20 years the 2nd Amendment won't resemble anything it does today - especially with the Media and Public Schools.

Don't be fooled folks.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Remember what happened in 1986? Middle of the night, oops, you lost full auto. How did that happen?!?

Fast Fwd to 2013. Don't get the vote we want, let's go strong arm a few people and then change reality. Oh, we counted wrong... Oops, you lost out on punishing criminals.

Code:
    [B]I T ' S   A   F U C K I N G   T R A P ! ! ![/B]

Attachments

• Itsatrap.jpg
      Itsatrap.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 147

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    I read Toomey's summary and not a word that clarifies what the hell they mean when they keep referring to online sales will require background checks. I mean, really what are they talking about? I've purchased a bunch of guns online and every single one of the required a background check.

however I will say if the bill went exactly as Toomey describes it I would have no problem with it.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Has any bill text been put forward yet? Please provide the link or did I miss it here?

Or are they voting on a fact sheet today? Maybe the language will be available 10 minutes before the vote...

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I read Toomey's summary and not a word that clarifies what the hell they mean when they keep referring to online sales will require background checks. I mean, really what are they talking about? I've purchased a bunch of guns online and every single one of the required a background check.

however I will say if the bill went exactly as Toomey describes it I would have no problem with it.

the bill will make it illegal to do a face to face transaction for the mosin nagant you post in the MDS classifieds. Im really surprised we are not seeing more opposition to this bill on MDS

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom