• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    So I'm still new to the class 3 world , and it is still a bit confusing to me.

What I'm looking to do is have an SBR in 5.56 with a can on it.

I'm assuming what I need to do is buy a pistol, form 1 SBR it, then add stock, and do the paperwork for a can.

My questions are, what is the best pistol to get to achieve this? I keep hearing that 10.3" is a no-go, but 11.5" is okay, due to something about MD OAL? Or would it be better to just buy a stripped lower, put it together, and buy a 11.5/10.3" upper and SBR that as opposed to buying a complete pistol? If I want to buy a complete pistol, does DD or BCM offer them in pistol format? Any other brands recommended?

And if I want a dedicated can for this gun, any suggestions? I have a surefire already, but if I'm going to keep the can on this gun, is it better to go direct-thread with something instead of over a muzzle brake?

Thanks everyone.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I prefer to build my guns from the ground up. A 10.3" barrel is fine. You will have to add a little length somewhere to reach 29" OAL, but there are plenty of ways to get there. That said, I would start with a 10.5" barrel and go from there.

Which Surefire can do you have? SOCOM556 is kind of the mil spec norm, but they are heavy(I have one) and there are plenty of alternatives. For SBRs, I definitely prefer a QD brake type mount over direct thread.

sbr.jpg

10.5" Noveske 5.56 barrel
    hrt1.jpg

Colt 11.5" Commando SOCOM barrel

Last edited:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I bought a DD Mk18 pistol in 10.3". A B5 stock can just get you to the 29 OAL. A LAW tactical folder will put you well over the 29" I put a Sandman S on it. Love shooting this little beast---

IMG_0564.jpeg

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

I'm assuming what I need to do is buy a pistol, form 1 SBR it, then add stock, and do the paperwork for a can.

My questions are, what is the best pistol to get to achieve this? I keep hearing that 10.3" is a no-go, but 11.5" is okay, due to something about MD OAL? Or would it be better to just buy a stripped lower, put it together, and buy a 11.5/10.3" upper and SBR that as opposed to buying a complete pistol? If I want to buy a complete pistol, does DD or BCM offer them in pistol format? Any other brands recommended?

And if I want a dedicated can for this gun, any suggestions? I have a surefire already, but if I'm going to keep the can on this gun, is it better to go direct-thread with something instead of over a muzzle brake?

Thanks everyone.
    Could alwas go 1 stamp rifle and p/w suppressor to the barrel.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    I bought a DD Mk18 pistol in 10.3". A B5 stock can just get you to the 29 OAL. A LAW tactical folder will put you well over the 29" I put a Sandman S on it. Love shooting this little beast---

View attachment 415807
    I've read somewhere that if you have a folding stock, you can't have a flash suppresor. And a can falls under the definition of a flash suppressor.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I've read somewhere that if you have a folding stock, you can't have a flash suppresor. And a can falls under the definition of a flash suppressor.
    on most guns any muzzle device suppresses the flash.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    LAW type folders do not count as folding stocks. A gun can not be fired semi-automatically when the buffer tube is folded into the storage position.
    Perfectly legal and not considered a folding stock.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    LAW type folders do not count as folding stocks. A gun can not be fired semi-automatically when the buffer tube is folded into the storage position.
    Perfectly legal and not considered a folding stock.
    Except LAW has come out with their ARIC adapter that makes standard ARs run a captured buffer similar to the AR-180

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Except LAW has come out with their ARIC adapter that makes standard ARs run a captured buffer similar to the AR-180
    Good point. Those would be considered evil features on post 2013 guns.

As long as you stick with the ones I described in post #7, you are fine.

Delski

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2021

Thanks everyone.
    Do you want clone correct or MK18 esque?

If you want clone correct, milsurp uppers come around occasionally or agency/departmental trade-ins for decent amounts. Then it’s about finding a lower with a roll mark you want to form 1.

You could alternatively go right for a Daniel defense Mk18 and have a superb rifle either way. But this one would be factory new. Either way, it’s the same amount of paperwork. Just down to personal preference.

See attached for my MK18 clone. Everything’s clone correct with the exception of the stock, lower and charging handle. CH has NSN though. Personally I’m a fan of mine as it has more character than an off the wall rifle and I’m not afraid to abuse it but to each their own.

I’d also recommend to keep using surefire mounts and cans if you already have them for the 5.56 platform. It’s nice being able to bounce a can around to different rifles with that commonality. Additionally, I wouldn’t worry about thread on suppressors with a short barrel 5.56. Any minor benefits you might get with a thread on will be negated by how short the barrel is.

Attachments

• F84A941D-E24D-4E49-BF08-501AB5B8D99C.jpeg
      F84A941D-E24D-4E49-BF08-501AB5B8D99C.jpeg
      606.2 KB · Views: 451

Delski

MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2021
    on most guns any muzzle device suppresses the flash.
    Anything including the actual barrel of the gun suppresses the flash. If i have a 10in barrel but now replace it with a 20in barrel, that flash is now somewhat mitigated. IANAL, but most likely it’d come down to how is the item labeled? IE: Surefire Flash hider vs Surefire Muzzle Brake. Kinda how MSP gets in their feelings when a barrel is labeled HBAR despite not being truly an HBAR or so on. It’s just about how they market it IMHO, and even then, unless you go and commit a crime with it, it won’t be scrutinized.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Anything including the actual barrel of the gun suppresses the flash. If i have a 10in barrel but now replace it with a 20in barrel, that flash is now somewhat mitigated. IANAL, but most likely it’d come down to how is the item labeled? IE: Surefire Flash hider vs Surefire Muzzle Brake. Kinda how MSP gets in their feelings when a barrel is labeled HBAR despite not being truly an HBAR or so on. It’s just about how they market it IMHO, and even then, unless you go and commit a crime with it, it won’t be scrutinized.
    Yes. IMHO, the flash hider/muzzle brake arguments are moot. No one is running around from range to range metering muzzle flash. The only place it matters is with FFLs and retailers.
    Other than that, it can be used as an add-on charge if the MSP nails you for felonious moapery with intent to creep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom