• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I was just watching channel 8, Cross-talk. The show was interviewing David Craig, County Executive for Harford County and is also running in the Republican primary for MD Governor. I was somewhat impressed by his responses, especially on tax increases and the effect on MD business.

Anyone know how he stands on 2A issues?

Fred

Last edited:

fishertodd

ΜΟΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    May 12, 2013
    I was just watching channel 8, Cross-talk. The show was interviewing David Craig, County Executive for Harford County and is also running in the Republican primary for MD Governor. I was somewhat impressed by his responses, especially on tax increases and the effect on MD business.

Fred

I cannot address his position on 2A issues as a Harford County constituent, but do know that he can increase taxes (and has) with the best of them.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    He has consistently screwed the teachers in the county. Former educator who continues to cut funding and teaching salary.
    TD

MagnumFarce

May 3, 2013
    Centreville, MD
    He has consistently screwed the teachers in the county. Former educator who continues to cut funding and teaching salary.
    TD

Would love to know how that is possible given that counties are required by the State to fund at Maintenance of Effort levels. Moreover, it is the local school boards who control which spending areas to cut in the school budgets, not the County Executive.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    Would love to know how that is possible given that counties are required by the State to fund at Maintenance of Effort levels. Moreover, it is the local school boards who control which spending areas to cut in the school budgets, not the County Executive.

If I'm not mistaken, when the state cut monetary aid to the counties last year, that loss of funds was not counted against the county as far as MOE.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    TD

This is a fact. My Mom has taught in Harford County for almost 27 years (37 years total experience) and tells me about all the BS teachers put up with to include him. There is no 2A related information on his web page so most likely he is a RINO or aka a coward on the issue.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    What about Michael Steele?
    Ugh! NO!!!!! Not only no but F NO! That guy is a progressive maroon that has been a "consultant" to speaker Boehner for the last few years. Not only that, his time spent as RNC Chair has resulted in power grabs by stupid lobbyists in the party along with failures of app/web development and a few other pants down election no successes.

Not to mention, that he has basically been supportive of our grand presidente'!

Screw that guy, even if he does love puppies.

As far as Craig goes, there was a really good op Ed he wrote a few weeks or so ago in the dagger. It laid out how per student funding from the county has actually stayed relatively level (even increased) yet the state portion of funding has decreased. Additionally, Craig sets a budget in total dollars for the board of ed to then allocate. With that, he had figures on how many more administrators have been added since his tenure as County Exec and how some of the quibbles should be laid at the union and board of ed's feet.

I'm not picking sides on who's right or who's wrong, but find the article and read it for a better understanding of the power, money, and political struggle between HCPS and Craig.

As far as my thoughts are concerned? Craig is a decent man, but I think he will be eaten alive in Annapolis. He may be tough in a red county against some of the fiscal powerhouses, but to me, his conservative nature is suspect at best. I'm beyond words at this point, I need actions. Did he sign the resolution excoriating Chairman Owe'Mao's gun grab?

railbird

Mar 13, 2013
    Harford County
    The Repubs will have to come up with somebody much better than this to even have a chance.

As stated above (for good reasons or not) he's hated by the teacher's unions. And you can't win an election in Md and be hated by the teacher's unions. OK if they are neutral on you, even OK if they endorse and campaign for the other guy but if they are campaigning against you, not much of a chance.

His Op Ed mentioned above had lots of holes in it. Some of his numbers were just plain wrong (although the union's were worse). His basic message was correct, enrollment is down, class sizes are down and the cost per pupil is way up. Also correctly stated above, he can control the amount of the county budget allocated to education but he can't control the education budget by line item. The Board of Ed decides what to cut and what not to.

Here's the link to his Op Ed:
    http://www.daggerpress.com/2013/05/...andates-rainy-day-funds-or-dedicated-revenue/

And the Sun's correction of his numbers:
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...7_1_school-budget-county-budget-budget-cuts/2

Basically enrollment down 5.8% since 2005 and school employment up 6.8%.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    How did he screw over the teachers? Please be specific...

Fred
    He really hasn't. Not any more than any of the other county agencies (sheriff, highways, ect).

There is just a huge pissing match between the teachers union and Craig in Hazzard and it has been very public. Harford county is deeply red and that won't change. When the property bubble burst, tax revenues plunged; just like other municipalities.

Right or wrong, I'm not defending nor endorsing Craig...I think he leaves a lot to be desired (being Hazzard county born and raised, I'd wish for him to do well).

I think at best he will be another Ehrlich, and that is saying something compared to the current administration or even the successor of Brown or Gansler, but...I think some of the campaign managers and inner party folks he is connected to, is just more of the corrupt machine that fails to understand what COULD win in MD.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Fred

Interestingly enough, he visited my high school (Aberdeen) when I was a freshman. Now this was about 8 years ago now, but he fielded questions from my US Gov't class and I asked him about his opinion on the Second Amendment. Even at that age I could tell I got a generic, prepared answer. Seems like he supports us but I doubt he does so passionately.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    He just screwed over the Harford county teachers again...he won't be getting my vote.

And I follow the issues with the teachers. The group hosing the teachers is the School Board. Just the other day they took away the 1% COL adjustment slated for this year, cut 80 teaching positions (but not a single administrative position), and added a $50 fee per season if a student wants to play a sport for their school.

He actually tried to issue a bonus to teachers a few years ago. There was a budget surplus and he wanted it to go back to the teachers. But the Union swooped in and cried foul, who knows why but they seemed to do everything they could to hose their own members. Craig has lowered property taxes/kept them the same every year. My feeling is he is another middle-of-the-road GOP politician.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    brown/gansler 2014!

that's what I'm hearing in this thread. the teachers bitching about craig have about as much fact on their side as piers Morgan bitching about guns. the truth is that a democrat controlled union is against him because they want more of o'malley jr.

Dec 31, 2012
    The Repubs will have to come up with somebody much better than this to even have a chance.

As stated above (for good reasons or not) he's hated by the teacher's unions. And you can't win an election in Md and be hated by the teacher's unions. OK if they are neutral on you, even OK if they endorse and campaign for the other guy but if they are campaigning against you, not much of a chance.

His Op Ed mentioned above had lots of holes in it. Some of his numbers were just plain wrong (although the union's were worse). His basic message was correct, enrollment is down, class sizes are down and the cost per pupil is way up. Also correctly stated above, he can control the amount of the county budget allocated to education but he can't control the education budget by line item. The Board of Ed decides what to cut and what not to.

Here's the link to his Op Ed:
    http://www.daggerpress.com/2013/05/...andates-rainy-day-funds-or-dedicated-revenue/

And the Sun's correction of his numbers:
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...7_1_school-budget-county-budget-budget-cuts/2

Basically enrollment down 5.8% since 2005 and school employment up 6.8%.

The Dagger is a rag of an online source for much of anything.
    Yes his and the unions numbers are wrong, but his are even more wrong. He fails to account for the increases in special student services that have been enacted in the past few years. The county/state is obligated to pay costs of special education well above and beyond what your average student receives thus inflating per pupil costs. The number of students who qualify for special needs has increased.
    My wife sees it every year. Parents suing the school system to make them pay for a private school for special johnny.
    Inclusion programs have become a pathway for lawsuits that didn't happen a decade ago. Do you know what it costs to provide special helpers for individual classrooms? Add to that the administrator's and facilitator's bloated salaries.
    Ultimately the true costs are born by the lowest rung on the ladder; the new teachers and the neediest public students who are not rock bottom special needs with parent's that are litigous. The existing teachers are taking yet another pay freeze while the newest teachers are at risk of being fired and the kids who need just a little more help don't get it because the neediest inclusion kids suck up all the resources and time. Inclusion programs influence the numbers without recognition of such influence.

Craig is a social political climber not someone that has your or our interest in mind.

Is there a better alternative? The hell if I know because this is Maryland.

That's enough non-gun ranting from me on a gun forum.

edit - add on: He's been almost as rough on other agencies, in particular the Sheriff's office as was noted in another post. This just reinforces what I already think of him. He'll sell you out to advance, plain and simple.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    The Dagger is a rag of an online source for much of anything.
    Yes his and the unions numbers are wrong, but his are even more wrong. He fails to account for the increases in special student services that have been enacted in the past few years. The county/state is obligated to pay costs of special education well above and beyond what your average student receives thus inflating per pupil costs. The number of students who qualify for special needs has increased.
    My wife sees it every year. Parents suing the school system to make them pay for a private school for special johnny.
    Inclusion programs have become a pathway for lawsuits that didn't happen a decade ago. Do you know what it costs to provide special helpers for individual classrooms? Add to that the administrator's and facilitator's bloated salaries.
    Ultimately the true costs are born by the lowest rung on the ladder; the new teachers and the neediest public students who are not rock bottom special needs with parent's that are litigous. The existing teachers are taking yet another pay freeze while the newest teachers are at risk of being fired and the kids who need just a little more help don't get it because the neediest inclusion kids suck up all the resources and time. Inclusion programs influence the numbers without recognition of such influence.

Craig is a social political climber not someone that has your or our interest in mind.

Is there a better alternative? The hell if I know because this is Maryland.

That's enough non-gun ranting from me on a gun forum.

edit - add on: He's been almost as rough on other agencies, in particular the Sheriff's office as was noted in another post. This just reinforces what I already think of him. He'll sell you out to advance, plain and simple.

Ok so let's increase property tax to make up for it!

I personally don't know jack shit about this guy but I can tell you exactly how it worked in Charles County. Home values plummeted in Charles County so there was much less money than expected so the county employees (including teachers) got their pay frozen. The teachers bitched about not getting a raise (my wife is a teacher by the way) so the county decided to up the property tax percentage to bring in more money. All this did was cater to the liberal teacher's union which is really all it takes to get elected in Charles County since there are so many teachers here. And, since the majority of teachers actually have no brain (not all, some teachers are wonderful and brilliant) they shuffle along with whatever the worthless union tells them.

You can't have it both ways. If you don't want higher taxes then public employees don't get a raise. If you want public employees to get a raise then you have to raise revenue, i.e. taxes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom