• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    In addition to the NRA Womens Programs, there are a few nationally recognized women's training organizations. Have her add The Well Armed Woman to her list of resources. They are a NRA Business Affiliate. Very good basic and CCW Women only training.

http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com

I do not think the MD Chapter has any female NRA instructors nor have they set up a training schedule. I am not to sure how that would work out as they use FreeState as their range. FreeState offers its own set of classes.

mtnwisdom

Sep 9, 2012
    Sparrows Point
    I do not think the MD Chapter has any female NRA instructors nor have they set up a training schedule. I am not to sure how that would work out as they use FreeState as their range. FreeState offers its own set of classes.

Disclaimer: My wife is the only TWAW trained NRA instructor in Maryland.

She teaches at a place not far from AGC thru my company. Since I am not a paying IP on the forum I will go no farther. Go to TWAW website to find her.

And you are correct, Freestate is not hosting TWAW training.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    For what its worth, a friend of mine has a womens' training class in Iowa. They really like the weight of the small pocket guns in .380 or 9mm until they shoot them / use them. Then, they gravitate toward his old/heavy steel .38 with standard pressure ammo as a gun they really feel comfortable using/shooting. ;)

Tell her to watch a few of these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ccw+for+women&sm=3

This one is really great. She shoots them and shows recoil near the end:

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My daughter is a college educated professional in the Winchester VA area in her mid 20's. Out of the blue recently she declared she wanted to buy a gun, specifically a handgun. That's fine but I'd really rather she took an NRA women's class where she can (obviously) learn gun safety. Also I'd like her to try different weapons to see what feels best to her.

I took her to the range a couple of times when she was in college to shoot a 22 rifle and she did like it. Now that she has a job (i.e. money) I'd rather she didn't just go out and buy a gun without some more formal training and proper advice.

Can anyone suggest a range/club with women's classes? I've looked around some but google hasn't been my best friend in this case. Recommendations from folks here on the site would go a long way for me.

At least you daughter is buying her own handgun. What I got from my daughter last summer (before the Oct 1 deadline that she was well aware of): Dad, you've bought my brother 2 guns (his hunting shotgun and deer rilfe purchased when he was 12 and 14), would you buy me a handgun? No way to answer that one. She was about to turn 22 and she's been shooting since she was 6 or 7 - so I have no issues there.And, of course, we wanted to beat the looming deadline. Anyway, I took her to the range with a 1/2 dozen handguns I thought she might like and she falls in love with My Smith 19 4" barrel 357 mag after shooting light target loads, some +P factory and my moderately loaded 357 magnums. and now I'm down one Smith wheelgun after transferring last August ! On the other hand, I can't think of a better place for it to be if it's not in my collection, she has good taste in handguns and I do think it was a good choice for her! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom