• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I told a friend of mine that I was considering this barrel in my build. He commented that the accuracy would be compromised because of its lightweight profile.

Any thoughts on that specific criticism?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I told a friend of mine that I was considering this barrel in my build. He commented that the accuracy would be compromised because of its lightweight profile.

Nonsense. The light weight barrels heat up faster causing them to be less accurate during sustained fire. It will lose some very slight accuracy but nothing you're probably going to notice.

It's going to come down to what you want in a rifle. If you want long range precision then get a heavy barrel. If you want something for quick target acquisition and less arm fatigue then get a light weight barrel.

Either way Daniel Defense is top notch.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Jester is spot on. I purchased mine from 2A and the lightweight is a huge benefit. I can't speak for accuracy just yet but knowing its Daniel Defense, it will be more accurate then how I can shoot it. Check out Mark at 2A in Jessup so them.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I just finished my last build with one of these in carbine. I wanted to do a lightweight rifle for my final build. Great barrel. I have a bravo comp lightweight also. For me there is no disadvantage of the lightweight profiles. If you are doing $15 mag dumps a 2 inch group opening up to 3 inch probably isn't an issue.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Pencil barrels are generally not as accurate in my experience. It dosent take a Bull Barrel to have a good shooting gun, but there is some middle ground.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV

I never said a damn thing about it's accuracy being "compromised" because of it's thin profile. What I said is basically the same thing Clandestine said, the pencil barrels are generally somewhat less accurate than the heavy profile barrels.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I never said a damn thing about it's accuracy being "compromised" because of it's thin profile. What I said is basically the same thing Clandestine said, the pencil barrels are generally somewhat less accurate than the heavy profile barrels.

Isn't that kind of the same thing? Less accurate = compromised accuracy - You need to get back to vacationing.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    What your friends trying to say is if you aren't a good enough shooter to throw 1" groups then you are likely not going to see a difference. 9 times out of ten it comes down to the Indian, not the arrow. :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I considered one of those, but prefer fluted stainless steel barrels instead. Weight is not that much different but they handle heat better and tend to shoot nearly as well as a solid heavy profile barrel. Daniel Defense does some of those also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom