• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I just got done thanking the Lord for allowing me to carry my Glock for all these years without shooting myself.

I would really like to know what the percentage is of ADs occurring with Glocks taking into account the number of them in use vs every other pistol. I am going to go out on a limb and say no more, no less.

If you don't think it is safe for you to carry a Glock, than so be it, but don't go on an on about how the pistol design is responsible for ADs.- George

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I just got done thanking the Lord for allowing me to carry my Glock for all these years without shooting myself.

I would really like to know what the percentage is of ADs occurring with Glocks taking into account the number of them in use vs every other pistol. I am going to go out on a limb and say no more, no less.

If you don't think it is safe for you to carry a Glock, than so be it, but don't go on an on about how the pistol design is responsible for ADs.- George

I'm willing to bet you dollars to donuts that the percentage of "accidental Discharges" is near non existent to the percentage of Negligent Discharges. If we're going to use terminology then let's use the correct terminology instead of making it sound good for the sheeples or trying to sugar coat someone screwing up.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm willing to bet you dollars to donuts that the percentage of "accidental Discharges" is near non existent to the percentage of Negligent Discharges. If we're going to use terminology then let's use the correct terminology instead of making it sound good for the sheeples or trying to sugar coat someone screwing up.

:thumbsup:

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County

Not sure if this was for me or not, but just to clarify, I never said that they were an unsafe design, nor did I say that I or anyone else here was unsafe or not trained enough to carry one. In fact the numbers world wide say something quite the contrary. I did say that I enjoy shooting them, but that it was not my first choice for duty carry. That in no way infers that anyone else here should follow my lead, nor was I talking down to anyone.

My reasoning for arguing against them with the local department is simple, they must set themselves up for the lowest common denominator. When you have a significant portion of your department who doesn't do any shooting or training on their own, is only marginally familiar with firearms, and then barely qualifies, IMHO a better choice would be a different sidearm. More than one police department has required them to be modified before they were adopted/allowed for carry, so I guess my thoughts are not isolated.

During my entire career with the State police I was never afforded the facilities or ammunition to train with any firearm I ever carried. I was issued my allotted rounds - just enough to qualify - each year and no more. For me this was not a problem, but a large portion of my fellow Troopers barely cleaned their weapons, let alone shoot them anytime other than when they were tasked with qualifying. In fact at one time we were forbidden to use Hoppes because a few soaked there weapons with it and then couldn't understand why no lubrication would remain on the pistol. The former culture of firearm familiarization simply does not exist in the majority of today's Law Enforcement organizations.

Proper reasoning and training aside, the bottom line there was the bottom line. Money. Even when it wasn't tight it was never spent on firearms training. Not saying that it's right, I'm just saying how it was. Would anyone really recommend a 1911 to someone who hasn't received the proper initial training and then maintained their recurrent training on that platform to maintain proficiency? I doubt it. On the other hand if you have trained to that level of proficiency then more power to you.

The Glock is a simple, reliable, accurate and easily maintained sidearm. I never said it wasn't. Again, it's just not my preferred choice of a duty weapon. I have no problem if it's yours, or anyone else's who is willing to properly train with it.

Know safety, no pain.
    No safety, know pain.

KingCrabb

Dec 28, 2008
    North East, Cecil County
    never heard of that happening :rolleyes:
    glock_04.jpg

I love my Glock but that is a little disturbing...

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Mistakes happen. I am not sure why this news worthy. A police officer probably also crashed a cruiser today, that does not make news. The highlighting of these stories reinforces the negative perception that firearms pose a more substantial risk to public safety than they actually do.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    Not limited to glocks.

you see this with just about any pistol that does not have a mechanical safety.

people try to re-holster with finger on trigger and the gun goes boom.

people manage to shoot themselves with guns with mechanical safetuies also, but it is usually different circumstances.

Swagtimecharles

I'm all out of gum.
    Sep 30, 2011
    Upper Marlboro
    Its crazy to see things like this plastered on the news. We as gun owners seem to take a hit when things like this occur. All it takes is one fool to make us all look bad. :sad20:

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I forget which site I read about this on, but this happened to a guy with his Glock. While holstering, the little coat dongle thingie that hangs down with a plastic clip (so you can cinch the coat up tight) happened to slide into the trigger area (while his finger was off of the trigger, of course). It caused the N. discharge.

So if you have one of those things hanging off of your coat or jacket, DO NOT use it while carrying.

And I'm also in agreement that the "Glock Safe Action System" is not so safe. Same with an M&P minus a safety. I like what wingedpig wrote above.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    This is one of the reasons I love my XD, and went with it over a G21. When inserting into a holster, I make sure that I am not depressing the backstrap safety. Ta-da!

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    That's something I just honest-to-God don't understand about the Glock safety. How, precisely, is a safety on the trigger supposed to keep the gun from firing? Given that modern firearms are usually drop safe and constructed such that they will never fire unless the trigger is pulled, how on earth is having a nubbin that prevents the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled useful?

To me it seems like putting a safety on your car's horn so that it won't beep unless you're pressing the horn button.

Is there something I'm missing?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I forget which site I read about this on, but this happened to a guy with his Glock. While holstering, the little coat dongle thingie that hangs down with a plastic clip (so you can cinch the coat up tight) happened to slide into the trigger area (while his finger was off of the trigger, of course). It caused the N. discharge.

So if you have one of those things hanging off of your coat or jacket, DO NOT use it while carrying.

And I'm also in agreement that the "Glock Safe Action System" is not so safe. Same with an M&P minus a safety. I like what wingedpig wrote above.

This is one of the reasons I love my XD, and went with it over a G21. When inserting into a holster, I make sure that I am not depressing the backstrap safety. Ta-da!

You guys and a few others are obviously missing the point.

1. Keep your finger off the trigger!
    2. When holstering ANY weapon make sure you have a clear path to and into the holster. When you holster a gun by just shoving it down there and don't look then you are taking the risk of shooting yourself because of something being in the path of the weapon.

There are two safeties that come with every gun. The first is your BRAIN and the second is your FINGER, if either of those two are broken then return the firearm to your dealer and find some other toy to play with, like clay or something. Don't blame stupidity or lack of training on a firearm or how it's built, that's like saying guns shoot people.

drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    Any mechanical "safety" can be defeated, intentionally, accidentally or negligently.

The very best "safety" is your brain. Be sure your brain is engaged before you do anything with a firearm. Rely on your training at the moment you need it, but when its over re-engage the rest of your brain....

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    The thing that gets me about the Glocks is the "Safe-action" claim they make in their marketing.... Just come out and say "Glocks don't really have a safety" and be done with it.... No criticism of the gun, here--- just the marketing......

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I have about 30,000 +/- rounds thrugh my 1989 Glock 22 not one accidental discharge. Also have some 1,000,000 +/- miles during my driving carrier, never "accidentaly" pushed the accelerator and ended up in a store window. You're not proficient with a weapon - practicev... being proficient with something with a mechanical safety is way more complicated and harder to achieve, something like a 1911 with a mechanical safety, a decocker and an active safety is even more complicated to become proficient.

However that was used with success, although we do not know how many died because they did not get their weapon into fire ready in time.

Would you rather be able to use your horn by just pushing it or have to flip a switch or hold down another button so that it is activated?

Down blame the weapon but the operator unless the weapon TRULY discharged by itself.

I have a safe trigger on my Glocks and my Savages, NEVER accidentally discharged EVER.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Mistakes happen. I am not sure why this news worthy. A police officer probably also crashed a cruiser today, that does not make news. The highlighting of these stories reinforces the negative perception that firearms pose a more substantial risk to public safety than they actually do.

Winner! :thumbsup:

Trigger not pressed to the rear = firearm does not fire.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    A manual safety allows you to have a brain fart and not shoot something. Trigger unintentionally pressed =/= explosion and searing leg pain. It also lets you holster your pistol without worrying about shooting yourself. I can even clear and disassemble my pistol without pulling the trigger! I wouldn't say glocks are unsafe, but they require training and constant focus while being handled. Mess with your gun without paying attention and BAM! Negligent discharge. That's harder to do with a SA/DA gun with a manual safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom