• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • endsjustifymeans

Sep 21, 2011
    Overlea/Hamilton
    I picked up a few boxes of this (7.62x25 tokarev ammo) at the timonium show. I just did some research and found that the "Czech load" is higher pressure than other rounds and could be dangerous in guns not designed for it.

Anyone know if a yugo tok can fire these safely or are they cz52 only?

Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I picked up a few boxes of this (7.62x25 tokarev ammo) at the timonium show. I just did some research and found that the "Czech load" is higher pressure than other rounds and could be dangerous in guns not designed for it.

Anyone know if a yugo tok can fire these safely or are they cz52 only?

They are submachine gun rounds, better let me dispose of them for you! J/k

Yeah, it's sub gun ammo, but that's not necessarily an issue.

You may well notice splits forming in the necks of some (or most) of the cases as they are being shot. If so, that's not a big concern. You won't be reloading them anyway. If you seen any with split necks before they are fired, it's best not to shoot those. Some people still do, but why shoot a load that you know is faulty?

Your Yugo Tok should handle the round fine, unless your recoil spring is totally shot (very unlikely) or the pistol is worn out. The Toks are tough guns.

Other than what's already been mentioned, if you go to a range, stand just to the left of the biggest a**h*** there. You'll be pelting him pretty hard with brass.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    I have some 7.62 Tok rounds that came as a deal with the CZ-52 I bought. They are definiately Mil Surp. Could someone help me identify them by case markings or packaging? Currently at work and don't have any here to say what the markings are. Thanks,

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    IIRC, the CZ52 was designed with the roller lock mechanism so that it could handle the slightly hotter ammo.. I've used the Czech ammo before in mine with no issues. Like I said before, SOME folks think the '52 is weak but it's a Czech pistol designed for Czech ammo.. soooo...
    I have no experience with the Tok..

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    If you are concerned about shooting them I can swap you an equal amt of Bulgarian surplus. I have shot them before in my Toks but will shoot them in my PPS-43c.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Almost daily I roll across a 52 on gunbroker with a cracked slide. I have never seen anything like that with tokarevs. I personally wouldnt shoot czech in a 52, but thats just me.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have some Czech steel core 7.62x25, but I am too hesitant to shoot it unless necessary. I hear it's a bit on the hot side, but the Tok is a rugged gun and from what I have read, able to digest it.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    Maybe Polish?

Thanks for the link. I swear even with a magnifying glass, my old eyes are squinting. So on the headstamp:

12 O'clock position it's a 21 or 2T but according to the above reference 21 is likely.

@3 it's 32
    @6 it's 21 inverted
    @9 it's 53

The packaging, paper, and well worn has a stamp(if I can read it):

7.62mm neboig
    pistoletowe
    -70szt

So, I guessing I have 1000 rds of Polish 7.62 x 25.

Anybody have an idea of when this was manufactured?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Thanks for the link. I swear even with a magnifying glass, my old eyes are squinting. So on the headstamp:

12 O'clock position it's a 21 or 2T but according to the above reference 21 is likely.

@3 it's 32
    @6 it's 21 inverted
    @9 it's 53

7.62mm neboig
    pistoletowe
    -70szt

I think the usual production dates for Polish surplus is 1953-1956

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    I think the usual production dates for Polish surplus is 1953-1956

Yellowsled, I have come to really appreciate the information and knowledge you post here on MD shooters. It would have been a great pleasure to have served with you on one of our good ships in the Navy.

So do you think that the 53 at the 9 O'clock position might related to a DOM at 1953? That would actually be cool, since one of my CZ-52s was built in 1953.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    yup, thats exactly what it is. Glad to help. I like to share knowledge as we are all here for the same reason. Love of old firearms!

With that said, Polish ammo has a unwarranted bad rep. The necks on it may be cracked before or after firing, but it is perfectly safe. Anyone that does not want to shoot polish Tok ammo, I am more than willing to take it off their hands.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

@3 it's 32
    @6 it's 21 inverted
    @9 it's 53

7.62mm neboig
    pistoletowe
    -70szt

Does it look like this package (but perhaps with different numbers)? It sounds like you have some 1953 Polish surplus. I'd disagree with Sled only in that I personally wouldn't shoot a round that already had a cracked case ... but I'm pretty cautious about ammo, and I can always pull those bullets and reload them in Starline brass.

Attachments

• Polish_Ammo.jpg
      Polish_Ammo.jpg
      6.7 KB · Views: 241

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads