• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    i understand what he's talking about...like the electronic lighters it...no charging needed...but hey to each his own I personally wouldnt buy one. as i see no benefit....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezo_ignition

I do understand the theory of the circuit, but, what I am saying is, you have to produce an electrical "spark", regardless of the ignition system, and we all know those electronic lighters don't always make spark on the first click, sometimes it takes 2-3-4 to light. If I were trying to get my smokes lit, yes, shooting at a Deer that is not liking what you are... not a chance.

As a final note on the Electra, was it worth the original retail price ? No. Is it worth the greatly reduced prices they are now ? Yes, but, I still would not own one, if I have to second guess anything on a product like that, no sale.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Point one, once the capacitor is charged the gun will fire unless discharged, even if the battery dies.
    Two, piezo electric is caused by deforming a quartz crystal, just like used to start a gas grill.
    Three, at one time several states wouldn't allow the use of the Electra for MZL or other seasons. I would check to see if it can be used in your state you plan to hunt.

Vic

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Point one, once the capacitor is charged the gun will fire unless discharged, even if the battery dies.
    Two, piezo electric is caused by deforming a quartz crystal, just like used to start a gas grill.
    Three, at one time several states wouldn't allow the use of the Electra for MZL or other seasons. I would check to see if it can be used in your state you plan to hunt.

Vic

From my experience in electronics repair... That's a chance I would not take.

My ignitor requires 2-3-4 pushes before it will light my, garage & cover kept grill. My cigarette lighter has an attitude as well.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Very useful discussion here as I was toying with the idea of getting one of those after having a 209 primer fail at the range and then seeing the same thing happen on a hunting show with an animal in the cross-hairs.

Keep them dry. And I never reuse a 209 primer.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Very useful discussion here as I was toying with the idea of getting one of those after having a 209 primer fail at the range and then seeing the same thing happen on a hunting show with an animal in the cross-hairs.

777 i havent had any problems with these...keepem dry they are fine...

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I have a TC Omega. Never had a missfire. I even carried it one time in CO for 8 days in rain, snow, etc. On day 9 I pulled the trigger to unload and it shot perfectly. I don't think you can ask more than that.

Vic

wiscman59

Nov 20, 2012
    Electra owner

I own a CVA Electra rifle. The only time it hasn't fired is when the bullet and charge has not been fully seated. That can happen with 209 primers too. While in the field the rifle has always fired. I carry an extra 9 volt battery just in case. Leaving the switch turned on all day does not wear the battery out in a day. I have the same battery in the rifle after a week of hunting and it will still fire. The rifle is very accurate too with sub minute groups.

Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    You trust the spark plugs in your car to fire millions of times without failure. The problem is not that the ignition is electronic. The problem is that it is made poorly. If they used a pizeo electric (solid state no battery) system it would be drop dead reliable.

I think one of the main points of this was a very light, smooth trigger pull due to the trigger being litle more than a switch. If you are going to use a piezzoelectric ignition system, you may as well use a conventional cap or primer.

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    Resurrecting this forum.
    I have had no problems whatsoever with my Electra. I downed a nice 7 point with it the first year I had it. Battery drain is not a problem.
    I looked at CVA's website earlier this morning and found the Electra is not listed.
    Has the firearm been discontinued, if so, when and for what reason?
    Anyone have definitive and correct information?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom