Custom Billet Lower (resigned and machined by one of our members)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    The guy who machines them is actually a member on these boards. He lives in Southern Maryland and got his experience when working for Beretta. He now has his own shop and works on Government contracts. He's a very nice guy and also very talented. He is in between contracts right now so he figured he would design his own lowers given the current climate. All I really know about it is from what he told me.

They are machined from 7075 T7351. They are then Alodined and coated with Ceramic Powder Coat. It takes roughly 5 1/2 hours to machine a complete lower. They also have a tension screw and a Allen Head bolt catch pin rather than a hammer pin.

He sells them three ways:

1. 80% plain Billet - You would need to get it finished and/or coated after milling.

2. 80% Alodined and Ceramic Powder Coated - after milling it is ready for a parts kit.

3. 100% complete stripped lower - obviously needs to go through FFL channels.

He has sold hundreds of these so far and all of the feedback has been good. He even had a guy who used to work for Seekins order 50 of them. This gentleman ordered one of them and after receiving it, he called Jim (the manufacture of this lower) and told him it's some of the best work he's seen and thinks the quality is better than whats coming out of Seekins. I guess he backed those statements up by ordering 50 more.

Personally, I just got done placing a BCM upper on it and they went together like they were made for each other. I didn't even need to use the tension screw which he put in the lower. Not even the slightest bit of play.

For those interested, you can PM me and I'll give you his contact info. He's a very nice guy and will answer any question you have. He will even give you his number so you can call with your questions. Below is a picture of what the lowers look like after they are machined before they are coated.

b510b8d7-aff2-4117-aca0-abfe2b7c0c6b_zpsc5fd18c9.jpg

2b02c8c7-e0d4-4ce3-99ff-c7ea0c77b447_zpsd1cc10ac.jpg

86dfbe11-287f-4069-88df-41ec4dbb5d38_zpsad6227a4.jpg

bc1dca36-ac8b-4ea0-b465-f5f825dc9201_zps7617015d.jpg

27bdc696-8dab-41b9-8486-4f954acee5e9_zpsfcbf6fb3.jpg

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Do you have a price so I know if I should even PM you? lol

LOL.....I'm sorry but I don't have his current pricing. We completed our trade almost two months ago. I'd rather not guess. I can tell you that two months ago when lowers were going for $300, his lowers weren't all that much more. Yea, you are paying a little premium but in my opinion, it was not as much as you would think.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Does he know you put his operation out there like this?

PM sent!

I'm not sure he knows I just posted this but he told me to let everyone on the forums know what I thought after I had some time with it. He has already put information on these forums regarding this lower so I'd imagine he doesn't mind me posting my thoughts along with informing others where to get them.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I'd imagine the prices reflect the cost of the type of aluminum used and that they take 10 times longer to make over your standard forged lower. He could probably charge a lot less of he could crank one out every 30 minutes but each one takes about 5 hours in a CNC.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    They are nice,I got one about 2 months ago for a pistol build.Crappy pic.

Are those CNC marks below the finish?

I was impressed with the other pictures and was interested but if CNC marks are visible I will stay with seekins.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Not be dick-ish but that looks like a 1 off of a seekins. Is it ambi bolt release also? It uses allen screws instead of pins?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Are those CNC marks below the finish?

I was impressed with the other pictures and was interested but if CNC marks are visible I will stay with seekins.

He posted a unfinished lower that was just bare Billet. Here is what they look like after they are finished.

27bdc696-8dab-41b9-8486-4f954acee5e9_zpsfcbf6fb3.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads