• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Weak_Hand_Only

Mar 17, 2010
    I doubt it. They batch them. I had mine back in my hands ten days after dropoff (6 months ago), but others in the same time period were taking up to 8 weeks. I'd say luck more than anything.

They may be getting their act together. I dropped my form 4 individual off 2/11 and it arrived at my house 2/20.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    A little off topic but just wanted to post that I dropped off a Form 4 at MDSP for sign off last Tuesday and low and behold guess what was in the mail today. Damn 1 week !!! :bannana::bannana::bannana:

I dropped mine off this morning and besides dealing with a very pleasant person, I was told they are saying four weeks, but they are actually processing them much faster because they've cleared the backlog.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I dropped mine off this morning and besides dealing with a very pleasant person, I was told they are saying four weeks, but they are actually processing them much faster because they've cleared the backlog.

Got the clean background check notice in the mail this morning. Can the completed Form 4 be far behind?

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Got the clean background check notice in the mail this morning. Can the completed Form 4 be far behind?

I got my clean CJIS report on 02/17, and my OK'd Form 4s on 03/12 (but signed on 03/05). FWIW.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Please educate me here.

I mailed in a trust and a $200 check about five weeks ago for a silencer. The check has been cashed. Are you guys saying the processing time has been speeded significantly and is no longer four to six months? Or is that for something entirely different?

Call up the BATFE (304-616-4500) and find out if you've gone pending. It seems to be taking about 6 months from when you go pending, at least for those of us not using a trust.

And what is this "clean CJIS report"? I've not heard of this. Is this something in connection with a silencer and something I should be on the lookout for?

That's part of the MSP process for all NFA items (suppressors, MGs, etc.); first they do a background check via the Criminal Justice Investigative Service (CJIS) for documented reasons to not approve your purchase. Then they do something additional that requires another 2-4 weeks; I refuse to speculate on what their process is. :)

As I understand it, if you do the transfer via a trust, then the MSP isn't part of the process and it seems to be taking 4-6 months for the BATFE to complete their process, once you go pending.

Last edited:

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    Just got three more cans approved. Two of them ran 4 months but that included a paperwork screw-up by the dealer that required a correction.

Third stamp from a different dealer hit a new record for me - 3 months and a week from form mailed to stamp and can in hand.

5.56 GMT-HALO
    Mailed 12/07
    Pending 12/15
    Check Cashed 12/16
    Approved 3/09
    Received 3/13

I've never had one go pending one week from when I dropped the form in the mail before (and before they even cashed the check), that's way faster than I'm used to.

AK-47

Feb 2, 2008
    Called today about my SLR104UR on Form4 Ind. submitted back in September 2014.
    Mary told me it will be completed this month and to expect it soon.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    On my way to Duffy's to pick up my Gemtech G5
    Form4 Individual
    Check cashed Sept 30. Call from Duffy's- today March 18 :)

5.5 months. for non trust Form4.

Last edited:

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Osprey suppressor, individual (no trust):

09/29/2014 - went pending at BATFE
    03/13/2015 - Form 4 approved
    03/18/2015 - Form 4 received at Engage, picked up suppressor

So about 5.5 months from pending to pickup.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012

Hmmm I went pending early October. Hopefully not much longer.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham

How long did the MSP take?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom