• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Can anyone tell me how hardcore they are on the pet restrictions? We are headed up there after labor day and friends are staying on Elderberry loop. I would like to camp near them, but noticed that pets are only allowed in certain areas. How 'by the book' are they?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I've never camped there, but the no pets rule is for the sake of the other campers who do not want to camp 30 feet from somebody else's dog.

For someone to flout the rules and try to sneak a dog in would be EXTREMELY inconsiderate, and I am keeping my language mild.

Try it, and see how fast you're driving back home.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My usual experience is that the park follow these rules closely and other people will call in violators quickly.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    One time up there the rangers visited our site cause our fire was a little to big. A friend of mine was there with her dog and they just asked if he was in a leash.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Alright, looks like we will stay on the dog side.

I don't get why all the dog hate at this park. Shit tons of critters roaming around the woods but dogs!? Oh my garsh, DOGS! Bring a dog and you are confined to certain areas.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009

I don't get why all the dog hate at this park. Shit tons of critters roaming around the woods but dogs!? Oh my garsh, DOGS! Bring a dog and you are confined to certain areas.

I haven't been to Cunningham Falls in a very long time, I don't think they hate dogs.....just trying to control the areas where your dog might get eaten by one of those critters.....

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

A cool thing about camping is the sound of the woods at night.
    Dogs barking not so much.
    Dogs in the shower not so much.
    Dogs barking when you walk past another campsite not so much.
    I like dogs and I camp with people who take their dogs.
    People who sign up to camp at a place without dogs should be able to camp at a place without dogs.

bg71361

Apr 30, 2012
    A cool thing about camping is the sound of the woods at night.
    Dogs barking not so much.
    Dogs in the shower not so much.
    Dogs barking when you walk past another campsite not so much.
    I like dogs and I camp with people who take their dogs.
    People who sign up to camp at a place without dogs should be able to camp at a place without dogs.

Ditto!

Short story; just finished a camping trip to the Great Smokies people next to us had a nice little dog it only barked after their truck pulled out leaving it locked in all day it would stop as soon as it heard the truck pull up later in the day, the dog barked non-stop 5-6 hours a day they never knew or didn't care.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Ditto!

Short story; just finished a camping trip to the Great Smokies people next to us had a nice little dog it only barked after their truck pulled out leaving it locked in all day it would stop as soon as it heard the truck pull up later in the day, the dog barked non-stop 5-6 hours a day they never knew or didn't care.

THANK YOU!

Same thing happened to us once while camping. The owners would leave and the miserable cur would bark & howl until they came back.

What I find it pretty typical of dog owners is they just can't understand how their precious little <insert pet name here> could possibly bother anyone.

Of course we don't mean YOUR dog. YOUR dog is well behaved. :D

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I've camped the "non-dog" loop there before with a dog. As long as they are well behaved, and don't bark all the time, I would say go for it. Nobody said anything about our dog, even when the Ranger stopped by to collect payment.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I love my dogs. I love my kids.

I used to love to camp. Got away from camping when the kids left home. Retirement may bring a return to camping...maybe not as I don't fancy sleeping on the ground, in the cold and or wet, unless I'm seriously on the run...

I find I (still) don't dig misbehaved dogs or kids. I like them less when I go somewhere I don't expect to find them and yet, there they are. Now, well behaved dogs and children are always welcome by me...

Only thing left is the potential variation between your perspective of what is well behaved and mine. I suggest your (actually all of our) perspective is substantially limited by your proximity and relationship to the subject.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD

Some people genuinely don't like dogs and don't want to listen to them bark. At all. That's their right. There is no rule that says your friends cannot stay in the "dog loop" without a dog, btw.

THANK YOU!

Same thing happened to us once while camping. The owners would leave and the miserable cur would bark & howl until they came back.

What I find it pretty typical of dog owners is they just can't understand how their precious little <insert pet name here> could possibly bother anyone.

Of course we don't mean YOUR dog. YOUR dog is well behaved. :D

My dogs are fairly well behaved. Is there a kid free section of the park? All the same arguments can be made for someone with a bratty child.

:lol:

This. When we camped at Ocean City last year, there were these people down the loop from us whose bratty $&@%^&$ kids were awake and screaming and laughing by 6:30 AM. Every. Freakin. Morning.

When I was a kid, my parents got really offended once when they picked up a brochure for a campground at the RV show and then noticed that it was "child free." Now, as an adult, I totally get that and wish more places were like that.

I don't really want to listen to anything other than nature when I am camping, including barking dogs, but there really isn't anything that penetrates the sound barrier more than the gleeful shriek of a 4 year old girl... fts. It's my vacation too.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    My kids and I had a great trip. It was their first time camping (4 yo and 3 yo), and really, one of my first times too. We had a great time and made out well. My wife stayed home with the dogs (she cannot handle the insects). Someone did have an illegal dog in our loop that was barking at about 4am this morning. It was a little annoying, and I am not sure how the dog managed to bark for like 5 minutes, but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom