• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'd like to thank everyone again for their suggestions and advice. Thank you!!

I finally made the jump and bought a crossbow. I got the Wicked Ridge RDX 400 by Ten Point.

This is the 'reverse draw' model that puts the bow riser weight back between the hands and improves balance. Has a mechanical draw mechanism that reduces cocking effort. It's supposed to be pretty speedy too, 400 fps with the lightest bolts. Very narrow and relatively lightweight.

It lists for $899.00 just about everywhere and I had been looking at it, but hesitated to spend that kind of money on something like this. I was just about ready to order it from Amazon ("Prime" would have saved shipping over most other vendors) and I happened to catch a sale from Midway and the price was $699.99, so I made the jump. Shipping and Maryland sales tax drove the final cost up to $772.00+/-.

I felt like I was being somewhat extravagant, buying this one instead of the dozen cheaper models, but the mechanical cocking, better balance of the reverse draw design, high speed, sale price and the fact that this is literally my last bow purchase pushed me over the edge.

Online reviews and YouTube demos showed excellent accuracy and the only recurring problem in the reviews is with the string serving separating, which may be solved by now. Even at that, for as short as the axle-to-axle distance is (acute string angle) and the speeds it delivers, I guess something is going to have to be sacrificed from time to time...

I stopped in at MacroTech (Ft Smallwood Road, Orchard Beach) and picked up a backstop, a half-dozen arrows bolts and some mechanical broadheads. I like to support the mom & pop shops when I can. Len at MacroTech is always a pleasure to deal with and his prices on the stuff I bought were equal to or less than BassPro. I asked him about the various backstops and how hard it is to pull arrows, so Len picked up a bow and shot some of his backstops and had me pull the arrows so I could see for myself.

The crossbow is supposed to arrive sometime today and I've got everything ready. When it gets here, I'll put it together, head over to Mom's and take it down into the little patch of woods behind the house, get it zeroed and fool with it some. I'll provide a report once I get out with it. I found a place close to home to hunt whitetails and the boys on the shore keep calling me and telling me how much the Sikas are bugling, and so I'll probably try to get out with it next week.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

I finally made the jump and bought a crossbow. I got the Wicked Ridge RDX 400 by Ten Point.

This is the 'reverse draw' model that puts the bow riser weight back between the hands and improves balance. Has a mechanical draw mechanism that reduces cocking effort. It's supposed to be pretty speedy too, 400 fps with the lightest bolts. Very narrow and relatively lightweight.

It lists for $899.00 just about everywhere and I had been looking at it, but hesitated to spend that kind of money on something like this. I was just about ready to order it from Amazon ("Prime" would have saved shipping over most other vendors) and I happened to catch a sale from Midway and the price was $699.99, so I made the jump. Shipping and Maryland sales tax drove the final cost up to $772.00+/-.

I felt like I was being somewhat extravagant, buying this one instead of the dozen cheaper models, but the mechanical cocking, better balance of the reverse draw design, high speed, sale price and the fact that this is literally my last bow purchase pushed me over the edge.

Online reviews and YouTube demos showed excellent accuracy and the only recurring problem in the reviews is with the string serving separating, which may be solved by now. Even at that, for as short as the axle-to-axle distance is (acute string angle) and the speeds it delivers, I guess something is going to have to be sacrificed from time to time...

I stopped in at MacroTech (Ft Smallwood Road, Orchard Beach) and picked up a backstop, a half-dozen arrows bolts and some mechanical broadheads. I like to support the mom & pop shops when I can. Len at MacroTech is always a pleasure to deal with and his prices on the stuff I bought were equal to or less than BassPro. I asked him about the various backstops and how hard it is to pull arrows, so Len picked up a bow and shot some of his backstops and had me pull the arrows so I could see for myself.

The crossbow is supposed to arrive sometime today and I've got everything ready. When it gets here, I'll put it together, head over to Mom's and take it down into the little patch of woods behind the house, get it zeroed and fool with it some. I'll provide a report once I get out with it. I found a place close to home to hunt whitetails and the boys on the shore keep calling me and telling me how much the Sikas are bugling, and so I'll probably try to get out with it next week.
    Good luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Sounds like a sound decision Ed. Something you might think about(and I use them too) is an arrow puller, if you don't already own one.

Amazon product ASIN B00FXXPQS0
    Amazon product ASIN B0BPFGVXVR

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Congrats

That is a similar rig to what I have.

I got the first generation Horton Crossbow Innovations Storm RDX. My nephew has the wicked ridge. It will down deer.

A trick to make the pistol grip more comfortable. golf club wrapping, not the tape that leaves a sticky residue.

The crossbow shoots flat, out to 30 yards.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    George, I know one thing about crossbows from experience. Be very aware of where your fingers are on the bow before you pull the trigger. If I had not been wearing very good leather gloves one time, I would have ripped off the hide on my thumb, clear to the bone.
    It hurt like hell for a long time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Good luck!
    Thank you!
    Sounds like a sound decision Ed. Something you might think about(and I use them too) is an arrow puller, if you don't already own one.
    Thank you. I have/had one that I think is still around here someplace.

It was a necessity when I was shooting a 70# compound into high-density ethafoam. When I was recovering from surgery, I had to reduce the draw weight of the bow and still could only shoot about 5-6 arrows at a session. Shooting them was hard, but it was getting them out of the foam that was killing me and cut my sessions short.

The new backstops are compacted vinyl screen and literally two-finger arrow withdrawal.
    Congrats

That is a similar rig to what I have.

I got the first generation Horton Crossbow Innovations Storm RDX. My nephew has the wicked ridge. It will down deer.

A trick to make the pistol grip more comfortable. golf club wrapping, not the tape that leaves a sticky residue.

The crossbow shoots flat, out to 30 yards.
    Thank you. I appreciate the advice!

George, I know one thing about crossbows from experience. Be very aware of where your fingers are on the bow before you pull the trigger. If I had not been wearing very good leather gloves one time, I would have ripped off the hide on my thumb, clear to the bone.
    Thank you. I'm new at crossbows and appreciate the warning. I'm already extremely paranoid about hand position and this bow has a pretty wide shield for the support hand, but I will definitely be careful.

The owner's manual has many warnings about where NOT to put your hands, especially loading a bolt, but even the Ten Point demo video shows the shooter violating the loading rules, as well as EVERY other YouTube video I looked at. SMH...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you!

Thank you. I have/had one that I think is still around here someplace.

It was a necessity when I was shooting a 70# compound into high-density ethafoam. When I was recovering from surgery, I had to reduce the draw weight of the bow and still could only shoot about 5-6 arrows at a session. Shooting them was hard, but it was getting them out of the foam that was killing me and cut my sessions short.

The new backstops are compacted vinyl screen and literally two-finger arrow withdrawal.
    Interesting. Can you post an example of one of those backstops?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    These have a pretty wide guard to protect the fingers when gripping the forearm.

PSA, never grab a crossbow by its barrel.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Interesting. Can you post an example of one of those backstops?
    This is like the one I got:

https://www.morrelltargets.com/prod...74768135&pr_ref_pid=3774696007&pr_seq=uniform

YJTarget.jpg

BassPro has several similar items.

The drawback to the compressed vinyl screen type is that broadheads will ruin it and they are rated only for field/target points. To shoot broadheads, you'll want one of the foam targets.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I think I was on the barrel and the string is what just about ripped my thumb off.
    Yeah, don't do that again.

Lifting a crossbow from the top isn't a smart thing to do. It's like putting an appendage in front of a loaded gun barrel.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    It was my first time and no training. It was a borrowed bow and he just showed me how to load it. My hunt was over and I fired the arrow into the ground. That was some kind of pain!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is like the one I got:

https://www.morrelltargets.com/prod...74768135&pr_ref_pid=3774696007&pr_seq=uniform

View attachment 434484

BassPro has several similar items.

The drawback to the compressed vinyl screen type is that broadheads will ruin it and they are rated only for field/target points. To shoot broadheads, you'll want one of the foam targets.
    The foam ones will get shredded by broad heads too. But they will stand up a lot better. My 390fps crossbow will put my shwacker practice head straight through my hurricane compressed foam bag at 20yds. 50/50 the bolt might get stopped by the bag, but it is certainly sticking out the back. At 30yds the bolts are sometimes just sticking out the back of the bag.

My yellow jacket bag, that is also field point only, stops them better, but still usually poking out the back at 20yds with the practice head. But the bag suffers a lot more damage from the practice head.

Upside, the shwacker practice head, actual mechanicals, and the field points all seem to fly within about an inch or so of each other at 20yds.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, don't do that again.

Lifting a crossbow from the top isn't a smart thing to do. It's like putting an appendage in front of a loaded gun barrel.
    Oh yeah, ffs don't do that. I always wear gloves when shooting my crossbow. Doesn't matter if it is practice or hunting. It won't stop my hand or thumb from getting ripped up, but at least it'll probably keep my thumb attached.

My Barnett crossbows have fairly wide guards on the top of the foregrip to keep your fingers away from the track. But I am still extremely careful and I never put my fingers/hand through the string when cocked.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thank you guys for the safety advice!!

The Ten Point "Wicked Ridge" RDX400 crossbow came in last Saturday and I shot it about a dozen times. Got it zeroed at 30 yards with no issues.

The 3x scope is functional and unremarkable. The stadia lines for holdovers in the "three line" scope are slightly off, but certainly within 'minute of deer'. Because there are 20, 30 and 40 yard stadia lines/crosshairs, I decided to zero at 30 yards to split the difference.

I will say that the scope rings are absolute junk. Very bulky, typical of low quality materials that require extra thickness to be functional, and rather poorly finished, with ample burrs and sharp edges. The crossbolts that engage the Picatinny rail are only about #8, with fine, shallow threads. I stripped the threads on one crossbolt before reaching 15 inch pounds of torque, well below customary for Pic rail crossbolts. The other ring tightened normally, which I only know because I tightened that one first. As easily as the other one failed, I'd bet it would have just been a matter of time before one or the other broke anyway. I've installed more than 200 hundred rifle scopes and these are easily the crappiest rings I've ever handled. They don't need to be Badgers, but for as expensive as the crossbow is, they could have spent more than $9.95 on the rings. Luckily, I had a pair of decent 1" rings in my box and was able to get it running with minimal pain and suffering.

The bow comes with the "AccuDraw Pro" cocking device (crank style) and cocking was VERY easy and quite quiet. The original "AccuDraw" has a loud click as the pawl engages each notch, and this "Pro" model is much nicer. This particular bow/cocking device does not de-cock, but I'll have my target in the truck anyway, plus the boys always have a couple crossbow targets sitting out near the place where I'm most likely to hunt.

The single biggest thing I noticed is that it is not at all front-heavy like most crossbows I've shot, due to the reverse draw design putting the riser back between one's hands. Almost no recoil.

I realize crossbow arrows are usually referred to as "bolts", but everything by the manufacturers these days is marked "arrows", so I'm using that term too.

The crossbow package came with three 20" carbon fiber "Wicked Ridge Match 400" 400 grain target arrows. They have relatively short (3") fletching and actual weight is 412 grains including the 100 grain field points.

I used those to practice with, as well as the arrows I bought, which are 20" carbon fiber "Evo Center-Punch" 465 grain arrows. These arrows have slightly longer (3-1/2") fletching and actual weight is 468 grains including the 100 grain field points.

I have always gravitated toward heavier arrows and I am considering going to a 125 grain point, but because the arrows came with 100 gainers and I bought a three-pack of 100 grain mechanical broadheads, I'll likely stick with them for at least this season. The way the stadia lines in the scope line up with the POIs, a slightly heavier arrow will track more closely, which is another reason to go to 125s, but 25 grains isn't a lot of difference to over 450 anyway, and I've already spent an embarrassing amount of money on this outfit as it is...

$771 (tax & shipping included) for the bow, $70 for the target, $110 for a half-dozen arrows, $45 for broadheads, another $25 for the "correct" string wax and the required flight-deck lube...

After registering the crossbow purchase with Ten Point, they emailed a code to use for 10% off one purchase, so I'm going to have to spend a bunch more money to get the most out of it and make it worth using, LOL. Probably get a spare crank handle for the cocking device, spare string or two, a set of cables, another half-dozen arrows, another pack of broadheads and a decent backpack/case to carry/store it in...fucketh.

Due to the requirement to use their proprietary "Alpha-Nock", arrow selection is limited to what Ten Point sells, although that isn't especially problematic, since it is a hunting bow and they sell several decent hunting arrows. Due to many poor reviews of the durability of the lighted nock version (seems like about half fall off in flight or upon impact), and the fact that those rascals are going so fast they are almost impossible to see anyway, I opted for non-illuminated nocks right now.

I used the "Yellowjacket YJ-465" target/backstop shown above and it worked great. None of the arrows poked through, even at 20 yards. After getting zeroed at 30 yards with the "Center-Punch" arrows and warming up a little, I shot a 3 shot group from the kneeling position using two "Center-Punch" arrows and one "Match 400" arrow.

The group is pictured below and I was pleasantly surprised that the lighter arrow went into roughly the same group as the heavies. Not much difference in penetration either. The red ring of the center bullseye is 2" in diameter and two of the three arrows hit it. I think I dropped the other one. I think I could do better sitting with a sandbag rest, but my actual deer shots will most likely be under a feeder at 10-15 yards, so for an improvised position at 30 yards, I'll take it.

30Yards.jpg

I got back out with it one afternoon last week and shot 6 more arrows. Results were about the same and I am very happy with how well it shoots.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it and impressed by the performance. I just wish it cost a little less, although one could compare it to a decent deer rifle with a scope. Ten Point has a refurbished used RDX400 at their site right now for $550, which would be a pretty good deal for anyone looking at these. Had I seen that sooner, I probably would have bought that one myself.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    Sounds like a good xbow. How's the trigger? I've had 3 xbow and Excalibur had the best trigger. Almost match grade. My friends have Ravens, good bows but costly and act like a time share once you get it. Lifetime warranty has caveats on maintaining the warranty. I do like the reverse draw bows. I almost bought a Skorpyd. They use reverse draw, are narrow when cocked and don't spread too far when shot. Make sure you pay attention to limb travel before the shot. If the limb hits a tree or something it can damage the bow and you. I wound up with a Darton xbow a few years ago. shoots pretty fast but was also the only bow to put all the arrows through the same hole at 20 yds. Wish the trigger was a little better but it's kind of a bull pup design and the string release is 6 inches from the trigger so lots of linkage. still not horrid. Hope you shoot a big one.
    V

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The RDX is a flat shooter from 10 to 30 yards.

I am glad you like it, mine has put down a lot of deer.

An upgrade that is well worth the money for when you hunt the 30 minutes before dawn or after dusk. The trijicon ACOG matched to the crossbow fps is awesome.

If you have a MIL/LE/First responder backgrounds you get discounts

https://www.expertvoice.com/brand/trijicon

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Sounds like a good xbow. How's the trigger? I've had 3 xbow and Excalibur had the best trigger. Almost match grade. My friends have Ravens, good bows but costly and act like a time share once you get it. Lifetime warranty has caveats on maintaining the warranty. I do like the reverse draw bows. I almost bought a Skorpyd. They use reverse draw, are narrow when cocked and don't spread too far when shot. Make sure you pay attention to limb travel before the shot. If the limb hits a tree or something it can damage the bow and you. I wound up with a Darton xbow a few years ago. shoots pretty fast but was also the only bow to put all the arrows through the same hole at 20 yds. Wish the trigger was a little better but it's kind of a bull pup design and the string release is 6 inches from the trigger so lots of linkage. still not horrid. Hope you shoot a big one.
    V
    I didn't measure it, but subjectively speaking: A little mushy but not especially heavy. Better than expected and very easy to shoot.
    The RDX is a flat shooter from 10 too 30 yards.

I am glad you like it, mine has put down a lot of deer.

An upgrade that is well worth the money for when you hunt the 30 minutes before dawn or after dusk. The trijicon ACOG matched to the crossbow fps is awesome.

If you have a MIL/LE/First responder backgrounds you get discounts

www.expertvoice.com
    Thanks Inigoes!

Yeah,I'm pretty sure I'd be out till almost full dark/end of legal shooting hours - seems like the Sikas don't move much till then unless we can get them trained to the feeders. "In for a penny, in for a pound" I guess. I'd only waste the money on stuff to eat, gas, a place to live, etc., anyway. I am a vet so maybe it will be more affordable than I imagine.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yep,

Once your status is verified, 30 to 40% discounts can be had.

The catch, you can only buy 1 trijicon scope and 1 trijicon mount per year at reduced costs.

Edit: I would suggest a case for the crossbow too.

Allen makes a decent reverse draw croosbow case also, when you can find them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom