• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    May be a whacky idea, but lately I've considered buying a crossbow for groundhog control. I have zero archery experience.

Has anyone tried it successfully? At what range? Any equipment recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    When deer look at your house with you standing at the window, they are only going to "see" the house. (unless it is a sliding door and you are doing jumping jacks)

When a groundhog sees you slip the curtain just a bit to get a location on him...he sees you for sure. After the 3rd .22 miss, he is going to run just because you moved the curtain.

Don't confuse the groundhogs at APG with the ones under your shed. I can only recommend a crossbow for the boldest of groundhogs. If you miss, it gets 2x as hard to sneak around the corner each time.

I'm sure it has something to do with living in town. Don't practice on the groundhogs or you'll never get one.

:party29:

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    Crossbow for groundhogs "?" Reply to Thread

I have a Tenpoint Titan crossbow that has taken deer out to about 40 yards. A groundhog is a much smaller and more alert target than a deer. You might hit one but I bet you lose a lot of bolts, which are getting expensive, and if you find a miss, the bolt will probably be damaged. If possible, a .223 or something similar would be more effective.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    It is possible if you can get close to them - but thats not common. Ive taken one with a regular compound bow, while I was deer hunting. It was under an apple tree- I was in my tree stand. He was standing up with an apple in his hands, I aimed for the throat - and the arrow went through his throat. It probably was a 20-25 yard shot.

Attachments

• ARROWEDCHUCK.jpg
      ARROWEDCHUCK.jpg
      231 KB · Views: 1,806

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've taken 2 ground hogs with a compound bow too, but i consider myself lucky. They were both pups (they dont seem to be as smart as an adult groundhog) and they were looking away from me.

I dont think i'd try it with my crossbow though, simply due to the cost of bolts as adjuster mentioned.

I'm guessing you want to use a cross bow since you cant shoot a gun in your yard? Luckily I can get away with shooting in my yard, so i use sub sonic .22 loads from a rifle, and the neighbors dont seem to mind

i've lost count, but i've killed over 20 ground hogs in my back yard

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I had a problem with them when the State put the sound walls up on I95 in Elkridge.

Got a Havahart Live trap and some cantaloupe. Rub the cantaloupe on the trap, close one door and throw a small bait trail into the trap with a pile by the closed door. Leave a trail of 3-4 small pieces outta the trap.

I would ctch them, dig a hole in the rear of my yard along the shrubbery line, carry the trap to the hole and bust them with a .22 cal pistol in the head. Drop in the hole, cover them up and wash and reset the trap.

One day in about a 2 hour window I killed 9 of them. Thru out that summer I killed over 30 groundhogs. They were rooting under my shed and I was afraid I would have issues with the flooring.

Haven't seen one in a while now!

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    Box trap with apples or other bait. 22 short.

Good idea! Hadn't thought of the .22 short, but I don't think I have anything left that will fire them :sad20:

I've taken 2 ground hogs with a compound bow too, but i consider myself lucky. They were both pups (they dont seem to be as smart as an adult groundhog) and they were looking away from me.

I dont think i'd try it with my crossbow though, simply due to the cost of bolts as adjuster mentioned.

I'm guessing you want to use a cross bow since you cant shoot a gun in your yard? Luckily I can get away with shooting in my yard, so i use sub sonic .22 loads from a rifle, and the neighbors dont seem to mind

i've lost count, but i've killed over 20 ground hogs in my back yard

Subsonics are a great idea too!

I had a problem with them when the State put the sound walls up on I95 in Elkridge.

Got a Havahart Live trap and some cantaloupe. Rub the cantaloupe on the trap, close one door and throw a small bait trail into the trap with a pile by the closed door. Leave a trail of 3-4 small pieces outta the trap.

I would ctch them, dig a hole in the rear of my yard along the shrubbery line, carry the trap to the hole and bust them with a .22 cal pistol in the head. Drop in the hole, cover them up and wash and reset the trap.

One day in about a 2 hour window I killed 9 of them. Thru out that summer I killed over 30 groundhogs. They were rooting under my shed and I was afraid I would have issues with the flooring.

Haven't seen one in a while now!

Damn! I thought I had problems!

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I'm a varmint hunter going back many years. The groundhogs in "the country" who have been hunted heavily are very very wary critters necessitating 1-200+ yard shots.

This has been easily accomplished with my Browning bolt action heavy barrel 22-250 with 6.5x-20x Leupold scope.

But I've noticed around suburbia they're relatively tame. I've gotten to within 10 feet of them which is basically "rock throwing" range. :D

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Good idea! Hadn't thought of the .22 short, but I don't think I have anything left that will fire them :sad20:

Subsonics are a great idea too!

Damn! I thought I had problems!

I don't any more... I am sure it was due to the construction of the barrier walls along 95 (about 1/4 mile or less from my yard). 1 or two a year was the norm, but that year; it was like they declared war on me, but I turned it on them!!

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I'm a varmint hunter going back many years. The groundhogs in "the country" who have been hunted heavily are very very wary critters necessitating 1-200+ yard shots.

This has been easily accomplished with my Browning bolt action heavy barrel 22-250 with 6.5x-20x Leupold scope.

But I've noticed around suburbia they're relatively tame. I've gotten to within 10 feet of them which is basically "rock throwing" range. :D

Well said. They seem to be very tame along I-70 and are pretty bold in urban areas where they have become "de-sensatized" to all of the hustle-bustle, but out on the farm, it's a different story. If it's an open field they'll bust you from 200+ yards and run into the woods or their holes. I have to stalk hunt tree rows where I hunt them, and I have to do it very stealthily or I'll miss an opportunity. Alot of times you can get lucky on the long shots, though (e.g., when you miss on the first shot). They almost always stop at the top or their hole for one more curious glance before they dive in. This is usually their last mistake.

Last edited:

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    I killed the groundhog in my yard with a bow. Just remember a crossbow is not a Gun, take it target shooting before shooting at a critter. If your going to trap it, I read online that Cantalope is the best attractant.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Well said. They seem to be very tame along I-70 and are pretty bold in urban areas where they have become "de-sensatized" to all of the hustle-bustle, but out on the farm, it's a different story. If it's an open field they'll bust you from 200+ yards and run into the woods or their holes. I have to stalk hunt tree rows where I hunt them, and I have to do it very stealthily or I'll miss an opportunity. Alot of times you can get lucky on the long shots, though (e.g., when you miss on the first shot). They almost always stop at the top or their hole for one more curious glance before they dive in. This is usually their last mistake.

My favorite tactic was laying prone 1-2 rows back in a corn field. I could even get crows that way. Neither the Whistle Pigs nor the Crows knew what hit 'em.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    as Chunk would say "Hey you guys!"

Had to share...

When you get pretty good at killing the groundhogs, I have more challenging pest---

STINKBUGS!

Hah! I really had to laugh. One day out at AGC my wife was spotting for me at the Barnes range and called a real flyer of a miss. She mentioned to the guy sitting next to me that maybe he had a cross fire. I went to look and it was...well...not there. Must have been some sort of bug or dirt.

Hmmm...

Later on it was baaaaack! Sure enough a look through the spotting scope revealed it was in fact a stink bug. I took a shot & missed but I was close!!! Damn bug never came back that day.

Maybe he took my near miss as a warning not to mess with my target. :D

Big_Leo

May 8, 2011
    as Chunk would say "Hey you guys!"

Had to share...

When you get pretty good at killing the groundhogs, I have more challenging pest---

STINKBUGS!

last year the stink bugs were all over the backyard at moms house. after putting two holes in the siding with the air rifle, i switched to the airsoft gun. 10 mins. later my nephews, brother and I were slaughtering stinkbugs off the fence, patio and siding. the boys still talk about "sniping" those little bastards in the back yard. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom