Crofton - anyone hear what sounds like large bombers ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    A B2 flew over a Redskins game in 2001 or 2002. Was really cool. I saw it well before I heard it. Was like a UFO cruising over the stadium. Did not actually hear it until it was past us. And even then was just a quit hum.

What do UFO's sound like? :innocent0 :D

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    We have a general path of flight?

I keep track of things like this, hoping we might gleam a bit more about Aurora.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    A B2 flew over a Redskins game in 2001 or 2002. Was really cool. I saw it well before I heard it. Was like a UFO cruising over the stadium. Did not actually hear it until it was past us. And even then was just a quit hum.

You like B-52 noise? We used to live right across from the runway at Ellsworth AFB. Try sleeping through a MITO Alert scramble. Windows and doors rattle and things fall off shelves. A window shattered once. Then the kids start crying. great fun...

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    We have a general path of flight?

I keep track of things like this, hoping we might gleam a bit more about Aurora.

It was so cloudy, unable to see any contrails or determine if multiple. Certainly was the conversation in the neighborhood.

Maybe other members from the area will chine in on path of flight.

Today was all quiet.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    It was so cloudy, unable to see any contrails or determine if multiple. Certainly was the conversation in the neighborhood.

Maybe other members from the area will chine in on path of flight.

Today was all quiet.

It sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvn...d=5kG9U69QOdY&annotation_id=annotation_304707

Or the one here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-rumbling-noise-reported-UK-exactly-time.html

And just found this...

https://www.google.com/fusiontables...759.7078660249999&z=3&t=1&l=col27&y=2&tmplt=2

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Since we're talking about seeing and not hearing big planes, thought I'd share a couple of experiences.

Live on the Eastern Shore in (what a pilot buddy of mine has told me) some very lightly restricted airspace. It also happens to be on a common flight path of the big boys out of Dover AFB.

When we were kids the C5-B's would come SUPER low and slow and make a sharp bank right over our house (I know they were using our house or intersection as their turn mark). After a few stiff calls from my dad they stopped...until recently.

Now its C-17's, and its at night. Recently I was in bed and saw both wing-tip lights and rough profile of a C-17 on its side.....not too much higher than the 2nd story window I happened to be looking out of. It was hustling and made exactly 0db of sound as it rolled by. Had it not been moonlight and I looking right there I would have missed it.

More recently I was outside at night with my son at night when I heard a faint rumble and turned to see the profile of COMPLETELY BLACKED OUT C-17 in HEAVY bank at high speed maybe 1K max altitude. Yeah I know how low 1K is for a C-17, it was that low. There was not a single light on it whatsoever other than a faint glow on the side (I thought maybe in the shape of a circle?).

The crazy thing was that while I was maybe 1/4 mile away from it distance wise, the only sound was a faint rumble. And it wasnt like doppler where it got loud once it passed, once it was gone it was gone and silent again.

Somewhat disconcerting to have something that big, fast and close sneak up on you and then be gone, kind of like a big shark sneaking up quietly underneath you and then noticing it.

Only thing I could find was this:

http://www.amc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123353833

SPRO consisted of day and night training.

The primary difference between day and night training is visibility. During night operations, night vision goggles are used. Clear, concise communication is important at night due to the limitation of vision.

"The night time training is probably more realistic," said Capt. Zach Walrond, 3rd AS chief of tactics. "You are going into a field that is totally blacked out but they are using covert lighting so they can only see the panels with their goggles on."

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You like B-52 noise? We used to live right across from the runway at Ellsworth AFB. Try sleeping through a MITO Alert scramble. Windows and doors rattle and things fall off shelves. A window shattered once. Then the kids start crying. great fun...

When I was in the oil patch, I had to spend time in Fort Worth training. We got a per diem so I cheaped out and found a motel that half the cost of anything else around. My first morning there, I found out why. It was at the end of a little air strip. It think it was called Carswell Field.

About way-to-early thirty in the morning, they would roll out about a half dozen B-52 bombers. Right over the motel. Close enough that if they didn't get their landing gear up fast enough, they'd knock shingles of the motel roof! One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Alarm clock or coffee not needed!

Justemily

Dec 26, 2010
    Maryland
    It was for the Ravens game; yesterday was their Veterans Day celebration. 70th anniversary of the end of WWII so they had some vintage plans do a fly over.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

there haven't been B52's at Ellsworth for a long time, But I understand what you are saying...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom