• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Well, just got home from a cold and rainy day at the range! Pretty busy considering the weather. MDCXD, it was great meeting you today! Look forward to seeing you more often.

PR

Gunner71

Lone Wolf
    Mar 7, 2008
    right behind you
    Kennyc01 if I'd have know you could have borrowed my earmuffs. I was just using ear plugs but I always have my mickey mouse ears just in case. I'm usually wearing a Ravens hat and I usually have some old Turk Mausers. I got there around 1 and I had no problem getting a spot on the rifle line. I had my Stevens 22-410 over-under and a turked 1888 that someone shortened. P. Ryker are you a range officer? I don't know if I've met you or not.

papilloj

Dec 1, 2008
    New kid on the block here. Don't even have a gun yet.

I have been considering getting a pellet gun (.17 cal, spring action type of thing) but will not do so unless I can find someplace to shoot safely. It seems someone disagrees with my point of view and shot out the window of a moving car just the other day, from the angles must have come from the woods behind my home.

Anyway, does anyone know if Cresap would allow me on their range with a pellet gun? Would I get laughed off the range for not having a "real" gun? I used to target shoot with a .22 cal (back at camp) and rather enjoyed it.

-J

MafiaConnected

Mar 25, 2008
    Urbana/Frederick

I have been considering getting a pellet gun (.17 cal, spring action type of thing) but will not do so unless I can find someplace to shoot safely. It seems someone disagrees with my point of view and shot out the window of a moving car just the other day, from the angles must have come from the woods behind my home.

Anyway, does anyone know if Cresap would allow me on their range with a pellet gun? Would I get laughed off the range for not having a "real" gun? I used to target shoot with a .22 cal (back at camp) and rather enjoyed it.

-J

You must be from the Villages. I live there too and read about the story. I dont see why you wouldnt be allowed to shoot it.

If you dont mind me asking, what are your intentions of getting a .17? The way you tied that into the story of someone in the woods behind your home with a BB gun makes me curious. :rolleyes:

BTW: welcome to the forum!

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck

-J

There have been people there before shooting Air Soft and Pellet guns. They got some looks but if you don't mind people looking over your shoulder to see what you are shooting go for it. You will need ear and eye protection like everyone else.

As asked above... Why a pellet gun?

papilloj

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, I am in the Villages.

Why a pellet gun? Couple of reasons I guess. None of which have anything to do with the shot taken from behind the house. The shot in the woods just reinforced in my mind that I really want to be on a range and not trying to plink in my backyard.

I have not shot a real rifle in a very very long time. I was never very good but did enjoy it. I really don't know if it is something that I will get back into or not. A pellet gun looks like a pretty inexpensive way to try things out. I used to rent .22s from a range in Virginia but you can't get a feel for your gun that way and you never know how well they are sighted.

Since at this stage of the game the only thing I am intersted in is target shooting or perhaps some plinking if I can find someplace to do that safely, a pellet gun seems a reasonable alternative.

MafiaConnected

Mar 25, 2008
    Urbana/Frederick
    yup...gotta agree on the .22. Wal-Mart usually has some decent .22's in stock priced at very affordable prices. A box of 1000's rounds of .22's wont cost you more than $15 dollars.

You're headed in the right direction with regards to safety, so Cresap should be your best bet for practice.

papilloj

Dec 1, 2008
    I think that I need to step back and look at this again. I was talking with a few gun knowledgeable people here at the office and they are echoing the opininons I am hearing here.

My drive towards a pellet gun was based on 2 assumptions that I now think are incorrect.

First, I thought that 50 yards was not that far for a 1000 fps pellet gun, it seems that it is farther than I thought and that 100 yards is WAY out there. Second, I thought that .22's were much more expensive than they actually are.

Obviously I am in the earliest stages of thinking about this, so I am greatful for all the advice. I have never owned a gun of my own before (always used the range guns) so I have to get smart as to what it means to own my own.

Questions off the top of my head...

I know I need a liscense but not how to get one. Do you have to take a safety class and a test like getting a motorcycle liscense or is it just a form you fill out at the store?

Are trigger locks the law in MD?

Is a gun safe the law in MD?

Thanks for all the advice and the patience as I try to get smart on this stuff.

-J

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I know I need a liscense but not how to get one. Do you have to take a safety class and a test like getting a motorcycle liscense or is it just a form you fill out at the store?

No liscense needed just fill out a form and a background check unless it's a handgun or regulated rifle

Are trigger locks the law in MD?

There are laws about safe storage around children

Is a gun safe the law in MD?

see above, our team of "not lawyers" can answer those better

Thanks for all the advice and the patience as I try to get smart on this stuff.

-J

hope this helps

Last edited:

MafiaConnected

Mar 25, 2008
    Urbana/Frederick
    pretty much what Adams74 said. For a .22 rifle, you would simply fill out the NICS background check form and wait while the dealer is verifying the information and/or getting the ok. Once you are cleared on the background check, its a cash and carry sale, meaning you walk out with the rifle same day (all regulated firearms require a background check as well as a waiting period).

Not sure regarding the law language on locks and safes, but it is your responsibility and duty to secure your firearms and keep them from harms reach. Safety is rule number one is the world of firearms.

I recommend that you take the on-line safety course here: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/ which once completed will provide you with a printable card stating that you have been trained in firearms handling and safety. This is required for purchase of a firearm. Most dealers offer a brief training to comply with laws, but if you do this in advance and present the card at the time of purchase, you are covered.

There are many helpful individuals here (good people) that I am sure would be willing to answer any questions you may have or show you the ropes so to speak (including myself). :thumbsup:

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Guys,

Thanks for organizing the lever gun shoot today! It was sure nice meeting everyone.

What a blast! It was very busy so it was hard to keep all of you guys together but sure was heck of a lot of fun! Good weather too! I believe the first 3 hours straight we had people waiting on rifle benches and then through to close we had people waiting on pistol benches... man, what a day! I guess everyone who has been buying guns decided to start shooting them now.

I want to thank everyone for being very safe as well. You guys made a good impression on the older members. I believe shoots like this will become easier and easier to put together in the future!

PR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom