• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Guys,

Many of you know me. I am one of the RSO's at Cresap and sit on the board of directors. I worked this past Sunday. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!

I believe we had the busiest day ever this past Sunday. We had 30 people in line when I unlocked the gate and lines for both pistol and rifle pretty much all day. We had people showing up 15 minutes to close who still wanted to get some trigger time in.

1. If you plan on shooting at Cresap get there early. We open at 10:00AM but being in line before we open is recommended.

2. Be patient with us. We are trying different ways to allow everyone time to shoot. This means you may be asked to get back in line after you have been at a bench for two target changes. We may run relays as well.

Now, with that said I am sure it will be better this coming weekend since we are open both Saturday and Sunday. The weather played a factor in how busy we were Sunday as well. Good days to shoot are when it is raining or a bit chilly. We have a much smaller turn out when the weather is not cooperating but since all our positions are under a roof it should not effect shooting very much!

Thanks!

Phil

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Sunday was kinda crazy. It was crowded enough that some rifle shooters were being allowed to use the black powder lanes. I had a good time with the girlfriend's dad, though.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    It was packed, but I think you guys did a great job at keeping things moving. My little one got her trigger time in, so it was good!! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• rangetime.jpg
      rangetime.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 310

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    Jonnyl,

I saw her shooting and she was being very safe. Looks like she has had a good teacher! Always great to see fathers passing down their hobby to their kids. Not enough of that going on in the world. Video games and TV / Internet seem to occupy most of the young people's time nowadays...

Thanks

Phil

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    It was packed, but I think you guys did a great job at keeping things moving. My little one got her trigger time in, so it was good!! :thumbsup:

WOW! How did you take a photo there? The last time I was there ... and I mean the LAST time I will ever go there ... I had brought my little brother for his birthday to do some shooting and tried to take a cell phone pic of him shooting and was screamed at for a solid 5 minutes about how they don't allow it...

I can't wait to take my daughter shooting someday when she's much older :)

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    Last time when I took my mom there, I asked the range officer if I can take pictures, he said ok, as long as I don't include other people in the picture.

WOW! How did you take a photo there? The last time I was there ... and I mean the LAST time I will ever go there ... I had brought my little brother for his birthday to do some shooting and tried to take a cell phone pic of him shooting and was screamed at for a solid 5 minutes about how they don't allow it...

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    Last I heard they were relaxing the draconian anti-photography rule such that it's okay to take pictures of people who consent to it (e.g. your own damn kids).

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    Last time when I took my mom there, I asked the range officer if I can take pictures, he said ok, as long as I don't include other people in the picture.

^ A perfectly reasonable request. Picture I was taking was only my little bro... not sure why I always ran into the same RO at Cresap that seemed to flip out over the most ridiculous things (he kinda looked a little like Tommy Chong, albeit on the opposite side of the 'mellow' spectrum). Shame it totally turned me off of ever going back there :sad20:

Before that I used to go like every other weekend and always had pleasant conversations with the other RO's... nice guys.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

Sorry to hear that. They did recently change the rule so you can snap some pics as long as you're not getting other people from the crowd in the photo.

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    Sorry to hear that. They did recently change the rule so you can snap some pics as long as you're not getting other people from the crowd in the photo.

Thing is ... I don't care about the rule. I actually think its a good rule and I'm guessing its so that gun owners don't get robbed by people who have made a 'shopping list' with the cameras at the range.

I'm a nice, intelligent, reasonable person who didn't deserve to be screamed at by an a-hole on a power-trip. Nor did I see the rule explicitly listed anywhere. One of the other RO's was nice enough to come talk with me after the other was done screaming at me and explain in a reasonable way why they had the rule, and I appreciated that. But I've seen the other RO fly off the handle on other occasions and never once seen him reigned in. I'm not a fan of having someone at a gun range screaming and startling people on a firing line for something as simple as not wanting me to take a photo, or that someone stood up from their shooting bench without having an action open to let their friend sit down to try their gun.

But like I said. 99% of the RO's there seem to be good people. I just choose to relieve stress by going shooting, not add more.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    I'm a nice, intelligent, reasonable person who didn't deserve to be screamed at by an a-hole on a power-trip. Nor did I see the rule explicitly listed anywhere. One of the other RO's was nice enough to come talk with me after the other was done screaming at me and explain in a reasonable way why they had the rule, and I appreciated that. But I've seen the other RO fly off the handle on other occasions and never once seen him reigned in.

You have to understand that we are a not-for-profit club that is 100% volunteer. Just like any other organization we will always have a few loose canons. I know all of the guys there and I am sure he did not mean to come across the way he did. We always place niceties a bit lower on our list than safety and following the rules so it can sometimes come across as abrasive.

We did change the rules and you are welcome to use cameras now as long as you are being careful not to take pictures of others without their permission.

Thanks

Phil

atimesublime

Mar 23, 2009
    Montgomery County MD
    You have to understand that we are a not-for-profit club that is 100% volunteer. Just like any other organization we will always have a few loose canons. I know all of the guys there and I am sure he did not mean to come across the way he did. We always place niceties a bit lower on our list than safety and following the rules so it can sometimes come across as abrasive.

We did change the rules and you are welcome to use cameras now as long as you are being careful not to take pictures of others without their permission.

Thanks

Phil

Thanks Phil. I do understand you guys are all volunteer and I appreciate the range being there and well staffed. You seem like one of the good guys that I probably ran into most of the time there.

I've always wondered why you all aren't open more days than Sat/Sun for the public? Seems like you might be able to spread out the load of people if you had more hours?

ateixeira

Don't know shit!
    Jan 5, 2009
    MD.
    Why is it only open on weekends? Seems like a waste of the space mon-fri.

Private club, volunteer members with real paying jobs, LE agencies use it during the week, NRA classes out the wazu for next to nothing, limited time for the volunteer membership to shoot. Maybe? :rolleyes:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Thanks Phil. I do understand you guys are all volunteer and I appreciate the range being there and well staffed. You seem like one of the good guys that I probably ran into most of the time there.

I've always wondered why you all aren't open more days than Sat/Sun for the public? Seems like you might be able to spread out the load of people if you had more hours?

Why is it only open on weekends? Seems like a waste of the space mon-fri.

As Alex stated...
    We allow .mil and local LE to use the range during some week days. We also preform MD Hunter's Ed Classes, and NRA Classs, as well as range maintence like grass cutting, brass clean up, and allow members to shoot. Not too many days the range is NOT in use.

At times we struggle to staff the range on the weekends. We have been working to get membership up so we will have qualified range officers to help provided a safe environment.

We recently have considered a need to increase our regular staffing by 25% to help easy the burden from the influx of people we have been seeing. In the past 3 years the amount of people who use our range on the weekends has nearly doubled while our staffing and resource pool has stayed the same.

This places an additional request/challenge on members for the benefit of the public. Every member enjoys serving the public or they would not be members. We would love to be open more but the logistics just aren't there.

The club is very much changing. There is new leadership, new members, and new ideas that are learning from what has come before us. The club's mission is to promote the shooting sport thru education and service.

While RO's may strictly enforce the rules, I can tell you that all the rules were created for a reason and if those reason no longer are valid, like SBR's and Pictures, we are working to update our policies to make the most enjoyable experience possible.

Keep in mind we are usually 4 or 5 guys (forced to where orange :o) who must ensure the safety of 60+ people, with guns, at any given time. In addition to that we must work the window, clean up brass, pefrom minor gun smithing, and offer on the spot advice to new shooters.

I worked last Sunday and as Phil said we were Crazy busy!!!!! But thanks to our customer, regulars and new comers, everyone had a good day, went home happy, and will hopefull be back next weekend!

Don't forget... We will be open Saturday!

Chris

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    As Alex stated...
    We allow .mil and local LE to use the range during some week days. We also preform MD Hunter's Ed Classes, and NRA Classs, as well as range maintence like grass cutting, brass clean up, and allow members to shoot. Not too many days the range is NOT in use.

SNIP

Don't forget... We will be open Saturday!

Chris

Don't the Frederick County LEOs have their own range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom