• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Well it was bound to happen. The invasive species has begun to cause problems. Not Coyotes. Post covid we have gotten an influx of new neighbors from the blue locust dens and they have learned of the neighborhood hunting traditions. It's not even what I would consider an organized subdivision. It's a large forest with 3-6 acres lots that were spec built over a period of 10 years. On every lot over 2 acres there is usually someone deer hunting from Sep to Jan.

Well neighborhood pets have been getting attacked and there are a lot of coyotes on trail cameras and sightings. pages and pages of nextdoor fighting pro vs anti yote. The newbies seem to be very vocal in their anger over 'Killing for fun' and 'We are the invaders'. As far as I can tell there is no way for these people to ban anyone from hunting. HOA was formally disbanded when the builder left. Going to have to get active in the voluntary community association now to proactively prevent these knuckleheads from organizing.

ATN Thor smart hd scope and new electronic call on the way. Have been a deer guy most of my adult life so this is all new to me.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    It's all fun and games, until one of their kids or pets get injured..... They can't see that far.... just to their phone screen...

Q

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    When I get the “We are the invaders”, as far as coyotes I inform them NO they are an invasive species. The east coast is not their original area of operations.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    When I get the “We are the invaders”, as far as coyotes I inform them NO they are an invasive species. The east coast is not their original area of operations.

Unless they were introduced unnaturally, they aren't considered invasive.
    If they simply walked eastward, they're just expanding their range.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Coyotes came over the land bridge from Asia when the first people did. They were "stuck" out West until humans paved the way for their expansion eastward. It was bound to happen, as they thrive where humans do.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    … It's not even what I would consider an organized subdivision. It's a large forest with 3-6 acres lots that were spec built over a period of 10 years. On every lot over 2 acres …

… As far as I can tell there is no way for these people to ban anyone from hunting. HOA was formally disbanded when the builder left. Going to have to get active in the voluntary community association now to proactively prevent these knuckleheads from organizing….

^Your^ description could be of our sprawling foothills lakeshore subdivision except our HOA is quite “alive” and with but one or two minor exceptions, all fvcking NYC’ers / Long Islanders :mad54:

And, the developer wisely LEFT OUT any mention of hunting etc in the original (pre-HOA takeover) bylaws … that was 2004 to 2014 when the HOA assumed control under NC general statute.

Everything was cozey til 2017 when, in just one, the same, annual meeting “1-month advance letter” containing proposed bylaw changes they tried to: ban hunting (altogether OR limit it to archery only) and implement an all out ban ALL and ANY firearms discharge(s).

There are 320 homesites - 1-1/2 to 10 acres - in our subdivision and less than 80 homes (stayed steady at 50 for a decade but, changing rapidly now :envy: )

That equates to a sh*t-ton of “absent” (non-resident = “in the dark”) lot owners, spread literally across the contiguous lower 48 states

So, here is what I did (within 72 hours of the HOA’s 1-month in advance “annual meeting letter” going out):

I accessed the county gis system and entered into a spreadsheet the name, lot # and mailing address for every lot owner. We’re talking in the area of 250 lot owners. I culled out the few dingbats and then

Drafted a two-page letter, methodically pointing out the asinine and myopic aspects of the Board’s intended bylaw changes; took it to Staples, had it printed front and back - on the heaviest stock their collator could tri-fold - then the wife and I printed out address labels and stamped all ~250 envelopes.

Our annual meetings usually consisted of a dozen to 18 (tops) attendees.

The 2017 meeting over 100 people showed up. So many attention was called to the fact the town hall meeting room was beyond the posted fire marshals maximum … people. were. pissed! :party29:

One couple drove overnight from Ohio!

To say we shut the *ss-licking LI’ers (and one Connecticut-ite) down is an understatement.

Their beat down was so dramatic even their few supporters predict our subdivision will be at full capacity before they ever attempt such stupidity again …. (Hopefully wife and I will be moved onto a more manageable estate by then … :lol2:

Best damn $500 and 72-hours I’ve ever spent, since post-grad …

Point being: don’t wait - get on your county gis system and start gathering mailing addresses now! :party29:

EDIT: and do all you can to keep the counter-attack under wraps; the power of surprise and ambush cannot be overstated (and the looks on their faces to this day is priceless to the rest of us in this area!)

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    ^Your^ description could be of our sprawling foothills lakeshore subdivision except our HOA is quite “alive” and with but one or two minor exceptions, all fvcking NYC’ers / Long Islanders :mad54:

And, the developer wisely LEFT OUT any mention of hunting etc in the original (pre-HOA takeover) bylaws … that was 2004 to 2014 when the HOA assumed control under NC general statute.

Everything was cozey til 2017 when, in just one, the same, annual meeting “1-month advance letter” containing proposed bylaw changes they tried to: ban hunting (altogether OR limit it to archery only) and implement an all out ban ALL and ANY firearms discharge(s).

There are 320 homesites - 1-1/2 to 10 acres - in our subdivision and less than 80 homes (stayed steady at 50 for a decade but, changing rapidly now :envy: )

That equates to a sh*t-ton of “absent” (non-resident = “in the dark”) lot owners, spread literally across the contiguous lower 48 states

So, here is what I did (within 72 hours of the HOA’s 1-month in advance “annual meeting letter” going out):

I accessed the county gis system and entered into a spreadsheet the name, lot # and mailing address for every lot owner. We’re talking in the area of 250 lot owners. I culled out the few dingbats and then

Drafted a two-page letter, methodically pointing out the asinine and myopic aspects of the Board’s intended bylaw changes; took it to Staples, had it printed front and back - on the heaviest stock their collator could tri-fold - then the wife and I printed out address labels and stamped all ~250 envelopes.

Our annual meetings usually consisted of a dozen to 18 (tops) attendees.

The 2017 meeting over 100 people showed up. So many attention was called to the fact the town hall meeting room was beyond the posted fire marshals maximum … people. were. pissed! :party29:

One couple drove overnight from Ohio!

To say we shut the *ss-licking LI’ers (and one Connecticut-ite) down is an understatement.

Their beat down was so dramatic even their few supporters predict our subdivision will be at full capacity before they ever attempt such stupidity again …. (Hopefully wife and I will be moved onto a more manageable estate by then … :lol2:

Best damn $500 and 72-hours I’ve ever spent, since post-grad …

Point being: don’t wait - get on your county gis system and start gathering mailing addresses now! :party29:

EDIT: and do all you can to keep the counter-attack under wraps; the power of surprise and ambush cannot be overstated (and the looks on their faces to this day is priceless to the rest of us in this area!)

Nice!

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Unless they were introduced unnaturally, they aren't considered invasive.
    If they simply walked eastward, they're just expanding their range.

Is walking across a bridge or catching a ride natural or unnatural? Mexicans, Hondurans are not invasive by your standards?

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Is walking across a bridge or catching a ride natural or unnatural? Mexicans, Hondurans are not invasive by your standards?

I would not call them invasive per se, but illegal definitely. This appears to be by all standards with the notable exception of libs, the real invasive species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom