• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Ended up with Ruger AR-556. Now I gotta figure out sight options.
    Get ready for sensory overload. My original varmint 223 had a 4-12x40 with a night vision clip on. But now I’m using thermal on two and a real nice day scope on the 22-250 bolt and still feel like I need guidance. What I’m really needing is more field time with someone more knowledgeable to get sorted out.

RepublicanJD

Jul 16, 2014
    AA County
    Get ready for sensory overload. My original varmint 223 had a 4-12x40 with a night vision clip on. But now I’m using thermal on two and a real nice day scope on the 22-250 bolt and still feel like I need guidance. What I’m really needing is more field time with someone more knowledgeable to get sorted out.

I just spent an hour trying to dive in and it's even more overwhelming than the gun itself. I would also love some field time trying to find coyotes with someone at night.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Im running a pulsar thermion xm30 on one rifle and a sightmark wraith on another. The thermal is amazing for detection but as range increases its harder to tell what your detecting especially with small mammals(fox,coon,coyote,dog,skunk) are pretty hard to tell apart through the thermal past 150yds or so. With the wraith i can clearly id and engage targets out to 300yds no problem. Farther with a morenpowerfull IR light than what it comes with. Ive hung up the calls for the year in anticipation of spring ...next season ill send out some invites for anybody that might like to join me one night

Wsanner

Sep 19, 2012
    Honestly I feel like this will come down to what you want to spend. I have a few friends that use the wraith and I have been impressed with it when using a better IR light. However they have had problems with them not holding zero and just not turning on in general. I also know people using ATNs on both sides of the coin. I run all thermal. A Trijicon mk2 60 on my gun, a Trijicon reap 35 on my buddy gun and I scan with a Pulsar XM30 axion. I have spent a lot of time on my thermals, so I have learned what to look for as far as identifying, but there are times that I wish I had some sort of nv to id. But honestly, after having all the cool toys, I still love going back to the red lights and a nice clear scope for some good fun.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Im running a pulsar thermion xm30 on one rifle and a sightmark wraith on another. The thermal is amazing for detection but as range increases its harder to tell what your detecting especially with small mammals(fox,coon,coyote,dog,skunk) are pretty hard to tell apart through the thermal past 150yds or so. With the wraith i can clearly id and engage targets out to 300yds no problem. Farther with a morenpowerfull IR light than what it comes with. Ive hung up the calls for the year in anticipation of spring ...next season ill send out some invites for anybody that might like to join me one night
    It'd be great to make that list. I might make a dog run tonight in Garrett and maybe one more run down south and that’ll be my season also. I only got out once this year so my progress is stagnant.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I’m thinking about doing some spring yote hunting, maybe even some night calling, at some state parks. Anyone want to join?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I’m thinking about doing some spring yote hunting, maybe even some night calling, at some state parks. Anyone want to join?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just spent an hour trying to dive in and it's even more overwhelming than the gun itself. I would also love some field time trying to find coyotes with someone at night.

The gun is the easy part! I ended up with a Super Hogster r. Haven’t been out with it, but really cool in the backyard.

I never thought I’d need cable management on a rifle, but here we are. .300 BLK. Can do a profile in the optic for subs, and one for supers. Gas block can be turned off for quieter single shots. 10.3” Noveske barrel is a tack driver.

Attachments

• 7345E117-40D3-4DF0-BE33-D0649D45BC7A.jpg
      7345E117-40D3-4DF0-BE33-D0649D45BC7A.jpg
      78.1 KB · Views: 139

U4U

Dec 28, 2016
    Omg in SC, they were so many I would simply use a Bluetooth speaker and squeaker call and pop them with an AR. I would set the speaker next to my farm pond in the middle so I could try to pop a few. They are so thick down there that DNR will give you a hunting license for life if you turn in a tagged one. It’s crazy how stupid brave they get when they have “the numbers” to drop bigger animals. I always have great luck starting 30 minutes before the sun drops when the woods start getting dark and they always showed up before twilight was over. Good luck and drop them all.

Last edited:

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    They are getting more prevalent in Carroll county. 2 weeks ago a farm on northern end of Westminster lost 2 calves. We managed to bag 2 this season and missed a chance on a group of 3 that busted us. We went out quite a bit though even if it was just a quick setup to see what happend. One of the yotes actually got caught looking out the house windows at night with a thermal to see whats out in the fields. Our farm is not far from rt26&27 intersection in Taylorsville and we seem to have a much bigger problem with red fox. More then ive ever seen the last 2 years. We lost a lot of chickens before we started thinning the numbers.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    The gun is the easy part! I ended up with a Super Hogster r. Haven’t been out with it, but really cool in the backyard.

I never thought I’d need cable management on a rifle, but here we are. .300 BLK. Can do a profile in the optic for subs, and one for supers. Gas block can be turned off for quieter single shots. 10.3” Noveske barrel is a tack driver.
    Nice rig
    I’ve heard good things about that scope

U4U

Dec 28, 2016
    Kill them all

They are getting more prevalent in Carroll county. 2 weeks ago a farm on northern end of Westminster lost 2 calves. We managed to bag 2 this season and missed a chance on a group of 3 that busted us. We went out quite a bit though even if it was just a quick setup to see what happend. One of the yotes actually got caught looking out the house windows at night with a thermal to see whats out in the fields. Our farm is not far from rt26&27 intersection in Taylorsville and we seem to have a much bigger problem with red fox. More then ive ever seen the last 2 years. We lost a lot of chickens before we started thinning the numbers.

I’ve seen a pic from a deer can with a pack of almost 30….. A few of them snatched up my neighbors Yorker and ran off into the wood line with it.
    Lol, I don’t trust foxes…. I remember getting chased by a rabid one as a kid. I wasn’t the fastest and thankfully wasn’t the slowest.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I’ve seen a pic from a deer can with a pack of almost 30….. A few of them snatched up my neighbors Yorker and ran off into the wood line with it.
    Lol, I don’t trust foxes…. I remember getting chased by a rabid one as a kid. I wasn’t the fastest and thankfully wasn’t the slowest.

A pack that size is scary. We have a horned cow thats an angus cross that can get pretty nasty id like to think she could fend off a few but a pack that size would be very bad.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    My brother had a pair of Pyrenees watching his livestock. The summers are very hard on them but they really loved the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom