• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    It has been years since I reloaded my own. I've been having price shock over the cost of commercial ammo these days. I am getting back to range shooting and was wondering if any of you are reloading .45 auto and what your average cost per round is. I already have equip but have not looked into the cost of powder, primers and bullets yet. I will be doing 30-30 for an old Mod 94 as well. Thanks.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    .45 ACP:
    1k primers about $25-30
    1k bullets from Dardas about $80
    Brass:free
    Powder: about a pound makes 1k bullets (very roughly): about $20-30 depending on brand.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Any where from $5 to $7.50 is the average cost per 50 rounds for 45ACP depending on bullet used. Right now, primers and powder are hard to come by and there is a lot of price gouging so those prices will be higher. I use powdervalleyinc.com to buy my supplies and I buy in large quantities to save money on hazmat.

What kind of reloading equipment do you have?

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Don't laugh, I still have my Classic Lee Loaders. I liked going to the basement and loading up at least 50 rnds at a time. I took my time and it was fun. My stash of ammo would grow, especially in the winter. I never ran out and frequently shared with my shooting pals. I still have my scales, trimmers, go-no-go's and load guides. I might spring for a new digital scale. One thing I am still not sure of is the number of unknown (to me) ammo makers out there. I will need to research which commercial ammo makers have good brass for many reloads. Back then, we only used Win and Rem. I used IMR 4895, gave away 3 pounds to a buddy just a few years ago. I also used CCI primers and Speer bullets. The prices you guys are giving me shows that reloading will be worth it. As a side, as it is with you guys too, my reloads were very, very accurate, with each cartridge custom made for my weapons' chamber.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I cast my own 45 bullets, but I also get my lead for free, so the cost of bullets is defrayed.

Depending on what I can find primers for it costs me $4 or $ 5 per hundred loading my own. Its cheaper for me to shoot 45 auto then 22LR, and alot more fun too!

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I use any 45 brass I can find at the range with large primers...and yes, there are a fair bit that use small primers. They all are good and I use them in competitive matches out to 50 yards, and I have shot master scores using them in matches. For bullets, I have a friend that cast H&G130 185 grain bullets for me and that is what I mainly use. Other bullets that I use that I think are great and priced well are made by Zero. I discovered that it is the bullet that makes the biggest difference for accuracy. I also use mostly Tula primers, and Bullseye powder.

During reloading sessions I pick up a handful of clean brass and listen for a bell sound, which is an indicator that the brass cracked, and I keep reusing them until they crack.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I use cast bullets for range shooting.... so that also saves on cost.

Yep, cast boolits is generally a much more economical way to go - especially with .45acp. The problem is the price and availability of commercial CB's has gone nuts like everything else.

Several of us Hooligans load our own .45acp's for basically the cost of primers and powder. The cost per round is maybe 6 cents on the high end. But to get to those economics assumes having casting equipment, supplies and time plus a source for cheap or free lead to use.

The great thing is we're not "wanting" for ammo. And our loads are more accurate than factory ammo that costs MUCH more (if you can even find it).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My numbers.

Primer - 3.5 cents
    Powder - 0.02 cents - WW231 at 5.5 grains.
    Bullet - 8 cents (commerical cast 200 LSWC)

11.7 cents per round.

$11.70 per 100 or $5.85 per box of 50.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    I'm in, I'm going for it with my trusty Lee Loader, dipper and all. I just need my 1911 out of purgatory. Thanks for all your info and PM help.

maverick0379

Aug 11, 2010
    It's not really a cost per reload thing for me. It's having a quality and abundant ammo supply when panic buying ensues and the store shelves are empty. That's the way you have to look at it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Except when the store shelves are empty of ammo, they are also empty of bullets, powder, and primers. :(

FMRAO3

Semper Paratus
    Apr 17, 2013
    Annapolis
    Cost at this time to me irrelevant since I bought all of my stuff in the height of the ammo rush. Gouged prices and all. Main thing I found satisfaction in was, being able to shoot when everyone else that didn't reload was holding on to what they had. And it is a relaxing thing to sit back drink a beer and watch tv and crank out ammo. ( kidding no beer and tv). But it is relaxing to me.

jonathanglock

Oct 8, 2011
    Smithsburg, MD
    I use any 45 brass I can find at the range with large primers...and yes, there are a fair bit that use small primers. They all are good and I use them in competitive matches out to 50 yards, and I have shot master scores using them in matches. For bullets, I have a friend that cast H&G130 185 grain bullets for me and that is what I mainly use. Other bullets that I use that I think are great and priced well are made by Zero. I discovered that it is the bullet that makes the biggest difference for accuracy. I also use mostly Tula primers, and Bullseye powder.

During reloading sessions I pick up a handful of clean brass and listen for a bell sound, which is an indicator that the brass cracked, and I keep reusing them until they crack.

Why don't you use the ones with small pistol primers? Do you have to load them differently? ie. more or less powder, is it hard to find load data for .45acp with small pistol primers? I don't know, I'm new to reloading.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It has been years since I reloaded my own. I've been having price shock over the cost of commercial ammo these days. I am getting back to range shooting and was wondering if any of you are reloading .45 auto and what your average cost per round is. I already have equip but have not looked into the cost of powder, primers and bullets yet. I will be doing 30-30 for an old Mod 94 as well. Thanks.

Welcome back OP! I definitely hear you on the price shock!

I didn't pay attention to ammo prices for years. A combination of a once VERY substantial stock of factory and reloaded ammo and components, coupled with declining range time pretty much kept me out of the shops. Then a few years back, I decided that I wanted to start shooting extensively again like I once had. So with a renewed interest and a fairly depleted inventory, I stopped into Bass Pro to look around. Well, 30-30 sure wasn't $7.99 a box anymore. And .30-'06 wasn't $8.99 a box. The one that REALLY got my attention though was a long time personal favorite of mine......41 Remington Magnum. It was now $1.30 a pop at $65.00a box!

The other piece for me is the current political climate that is largely causing the ammo and component issues. Well, let's just say that my inventory is no longer depleted. And it will never be depleted again. With each round fired, and with each pull of a press handle, I feel like I am extending a heart felt middle finger salute to the many who wish to see both self sufficiency and freedom destroyed in this state and in this country.

Cost per round? To answer your question, and if you have access to free brass, figure 15 cents for .45ACP, as a give or take ballpark. Me, and in today's climate, I'm figuring each box as PRICELESS!

Hope you'll enjoy dusting off your equipment! Good luck!

maverick0379

Aug 11, 2010
    It's not really a cost per reload thing for me. It's having a quality and abundant ammo supply when panic buying ensues and the store shelves are empty. That's the way you have to look at it.

Except when the store shelves are empty of ammo, they are also empty of bullets, powder, and primers. :(

For people who are just getting into reloading now empty shelves are exactly what they are going to see. Your a little late to the game. For those of us who learned from the last panic we bought what we were going to need when the last panic died down and have more than enough to get by.

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    I reload 230 LRN and the cost goes up just a bit more to maybe .15 a round, so basically for me its anywhere from .11 to .15 which is way better than the .50-.60 a round that is being charged.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Thanks for the shout Uncle Duke:) The one sad thing I'm dealing with now, as I get back into this, a couple of my shooting and reloading pals are no longer with us. As I reload I am sure to be thinking about them and our times together in each others basement reloading and then going out to Cresap's to see who could get the tightest group. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom