• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lazylion

Jun 1, 2013
    MG
    Everyone seems to have their own way. What is the standard requirements to make a gun clean enough to not blow up after cosmoline?

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Buy mosin and make coworker jealous
    Find mosin for coworker to buy
    Leave both mosins in my office for coworker to take home and clean up
    ?????
    Get back clean cosmo free mosin
    Profit

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

J-Dog

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    When I de-cosmo'ed my SKS, I used Mineral Spirits.

I got a big aluminume turkey pan from the gorcery store, dissasembled the rifle and put the smaller metal parts in the pan with about 2 inches of mineral spirits. Then I just used a paintbrush, toothbrush and some rags to scrub the parts. Easy peasy.

For the barrel, I just poured some down the tube and swabbed it out really good, then paintbrushed/toothbrused the outside and all the nooks and crannies.

For the stock, I first slightly dampened a rag with mineral spirits and wiped off the surface cosmo, then with a dry rag wiped the any excess mineral spirits off. After that, wraped the wood stock up in newspaper, and stuffed it into a plastic trash bag. Then I put it in the dashboard of my car on a hot bright sunny day for about 5 hours. All the cosmo seeped out of the wood and was absorbed by the paper.

Then I oiled everything up really good and reassembled it. Haven't has any additional cosmo seepage or anything.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Disassemble the gun and put it in a plastic tub. Get some one gallon or so pots of water boiling on the stove. Let the pots come to a hard boil and instantly walk them from the stove and dump onto the gun parts. The metal heat lets the water wash the cosmo away. It also makes the metal hot enough that it wont rust because the water evaporates instantly. I did an sks and Mosin with this method. Took less than an hour per gun including the wood. Just be careful with the water.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    Gunk degreaser, and boiling hot water. This is going to sound like a cheap pop, but look up Point-of-Aim Productions on YouTube. I have a AK74 cosmoline removal video up.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Me:
    1) Metal parts and put them in the 30gal parts washer (mostly mineral spirits.) Flows right off with a plastic brush. Wipe dry, oil, reassemble.
    2) Take wood stocks to office and put them in the temp chamber (65C) over a pan. Wipe down every 15min or so for an hour using paper towels or until it stops oozing out. Best to do 4-5 at once and you can stay pretty busy for an hour.

Edit: Been meaning to do a stock 'cook out' gathering at the office some weekend. It'll hold a dozen mosins easy.

Last edited:
    Jun 22, 2011
    Westminster
    I use mineral spirits on metal parts. Stocks are best degreased with heat. I use a regular kitchen oven set to 200 degrees. Stuff the stock inlet with rags, wrap the whole thing tightly in old towels and pop it in for 2 hours. When you get it out the rags and towels will be swimming but the stock will be degreased. If the wood is REALLY slimy be sure to include a drip pan. You do NOT want cosmo puddles in your oven.

Jun 22, 2011
    Westminster
    Just a quick note on degreasing with heat. The shellac found on Mosins melts at a fairly low temperture. 200 degrees F is actually a bit past the safe "high end" when degreasing Mosins. 180 is a better temp for mosins, SKS and any gun that might be shellacked.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Put it in a black plastic bag and leave it on the deck for a couple hours- let the cosmoline flow out!

Knew a guy in Tx did that. Put it in a contractor garbage bag with some kitty litter and put it in his truck. After a week, there was NO cosmo in the stock and the kitty litter soaked it all up making for easy cleanup.

winterfaust

Large Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Carroll County
    boiling parts for 30 min at a time with simple green/dish soap mix... stuff comes right off... if you need to get it from the stock Zep makes a bio degradable oven cleaner (citrus) works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom