• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Comrades,
    Is the ammo below corrosive? The headstamp is ИК and the year which seem to vary from the late '70s to early '80s.
    Any help is appreciated.

-Adam

Attachments

• 7.62x39.jpg
      7.62x39.jpg
      16.9 KB · Views: 173

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Just flush out the rifle with windex to be safe. Most older surplus is corrosive, even some of the newer stuff. You can hope the internet is right, and have your rifle rust if they are wrong, or just squirt a crap load of windex/water through the barrel/gas tube/reciever etc. real quick and be safe :)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It is a fairly safe bet that ANY surplus 7.62X39, 5.45X39, 7.62X54R, 7.62X25 or 9X18 is corrosive to some degree. Some ammo is more corrosive than others, but for the most part, older ammo, and newer ammo designated for long term storage/export has the mercuric corrosive primers, every now and then you can find the more modern "non-corrosive" ammo, but it still has a small ammount of mercury salts in addition to non mercuric priming compounds, and is still somewhat corrosive although less so, this includes some of the older Wolf and Banaul branded(silver/brown/golden bear) ammo. The worst dirtiest corrosive stuff will rust within hours in a dry environment as it pulls any little bit of moisture from the air, the better surplus may take days, and the best surplus, and old commercial Wolf/Barnaul may take weeks unless there is a lot of moisture in the air. Safest thing to do is spray the action and barrel down wirth windex at the range, and when home, flush the action, barrel, and gas system with boiling water, it completely flushes the salts away, and evaporates quickly so it is less apt to cause rust on it's own.

squeky

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2007
    Frederick
    It is a fairly safe bet that ANY surplus 7.62X39, 5.45X39, 7.62X54R, 7.62X25 or 9X18 is corrosive to some degree.

I'd agree with the statement without 9x18 in there. I've got surplus Combloc 9x18 that is non-corrosive. Everything else, right on the money. Good words of wisdom.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'd agree with the statement without 9x18 in there. I've got surplus Combloc 9x18 that is non-corrosive. Everything else, right on the money. Good words of wisdom.

correction, only about 90% of 9X18 mak surplus is corrosive, I belive it is the Czech stuff that isnt

would this brass be reloadabale?

berdan primed, so for most reloaders, it's not worth the trouble. Although contrary to popular opinion it can be done http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/berdanreloading/index.asp

sergey

Dec 25, 2008
    Thanks Alucard.

I got around 400 pieces of this brass. I don't know anything about reloading, i just collected it in case i decided to get into it later. If anyone wants it they can have it for free, otherwise i will be chucking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom