• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    Any Correctional Officers out there that have their CCW permit? If so what did you have to go through to get it?
    I'd like to apply but the application says you still need a threat or assault against you...

Feel free to PM.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I am a former Corrections Officer (had a permit then and have one now for other reasons). You personally do not need to be threatened and you do not need to write up disciplinary reports against inmates. Simple incident reports will do. You should have at least 3. They do not have to be threats directed at you but can be general in nature. They do not even have to be written by you.

Example: While responding to an altercation in XX unit inmate James Jones stated "I am going to kill you CO's when I get back on the street". This statement was witnessed by Officers ______,______, ________. Make sure the incident reports gets filed with your shift commander. There are likely already reports similar to this filed by officers regularly. Ask your co-workers to give you copies.

It is beyond ridiculous that MSP requires threats for CO's since it is a regular part of the job. In any event you will be issued an unrestricted permit for off-duty carry. Good luck and thanks for keeping the bad guys locked away from the rest of us.

Last edited:

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    Its crazy that I'm already certified to carry while on duty and have to go through all that...guess i'll talk to a few people and see if they have any blanket reports

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Ive been wondering the same thing. Federal Correctional officers are covered under LEOSA and can carry concealed but state Correctional officers can't. MD correctional officers qualify per COMAR standards and must qualify every year. If I'm not mistaken, its the same course of fire that MSP does...just different weapons. I think its rediculous that Correctional officers are good enough to carry a weapon while transporting inmates etc, but once off duty are no longer worthy. COs are threatened on a daily basis...threats can be easily carried out because inmates have contact with friends and family on the outside. Many people fail to realize that. Being a weapons qualified CO should be Good and Substantial enough but its not >:(

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Its crazy that I'm already certified to carry while on duty and have to go through all that...guess i'll talk to a few people and see if they have any blanket reports

Ive been wondering the same thing. Federal Correctional officers are covered under LEOSA and can carry concealed but state Correctional officers can't. MD correctional officers qualify per COMAR standards and must qualify every year. If I'm not mistaken, its the same course of fire that MSP does...just different weapons. I think its rediculous that Correctional officers are good enough to carry a weapon while transporting inmates etc, but once off duty are no longer worthy. COs are threatened on a daily basis...threats can be easily carried out because inmates have contact with friends and family on the outside. Many people fail to realize that. Being a weapons qualified CO should be Good and Substantial enough but its not >:(

You guys are 100% right. Your best bet to change things is to fight for the rights of ALL Maryland citizens to carry! Having been where you are now all I can say is thank you for your service. Apply to MSP as soon as you can and once you can carry don't forget the rest of Maryland's citizens should be able to protect themselves too. Join MSI asap if you have not done so.

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

Being a citizen should be enough.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    Trust me, I wish Maryland would issue to everyone. I don't have any more right than anyone else to want to protect myself and my loved ones.

And thank you boundless, it's really nothing more than being an adult babysitter as I'm sure you know.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Trust me, I wish Maryland would issue to everyone. I don't have any more right than anyone else to want to protect myself and my loved ones.

And thank you boundless, it's really nothing more than being an adult babysitter as I'm sure you know.

Get into a specialized unit. It can be fun and challenging. It does get depressing at times too. I grew up with many of the inmates when I was a CO. It sucked seeing guys I played basketball and football with in the neighborhood now behind bars. Drugs change people. PM me your agency for ideas on units/assignments.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    As a police officer, I never understood why COs had to jump through hoops just to carry off duty.

They likely get threatened by folks ready and willing to follow up on said threats, and they likely fight more in a month than I did in 30 years.

Cops deal with A-Holes, but COs are locked in with and deal with highly concentrated A-Holes.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    As a police officer, I never understood why COs had to jump through hoops just to carry off duty.

They likely get threatened by folks ready and willing to follow up on said threats, and they likely fight more in a month than I did in 30 years.

Cops deal with A-Holes, but COs are locked in with and deal with highly concentrated A-Holes.

This is so true. All while unarmed. At the same time many inmates have found a way to arm themselves. It is not a job for those with low tolerance for stress.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Boundlessdyad I have always been an advocate for citizens of EVERY state to be able to carry concealed and will always support what I believe to be a natural right to defend ones self, family and property by any means necessarry. rseymorejr I TOTALLY agree with you that being a citizen is a Good and Substanital reason to carry...I was directing it more towards the fact that State Police and Federal Correctional officers can carry concealed because they are "trained" and "qualified" yet COs who have the same weapons training are only considered "trained" and "qualified" while on the clock. I moved to Maryland from WV a few years ago for mainly work purposes...by far the largest mistake I have made in my life. We are doing some upgrades to our house so we can put it on the market in hopes of selling it and moving back to a FREE state.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.

That's probably an accurate way of putting it. So many democrats in a confined area. :)

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Boundlessdyad I have always been an advocate for citizens of EVERY state to be able to carry concealed and will always support what I believe to be a natural right to defend ones self, family and property by any means necessarry. rseymorejr I TOTALLY agree with you that being a citizen is a Good and Substanital reason to carry...I was directing it more towards the fact that State Police and Federal Correctional officers can carry concealed because they are "trained" and "qualified" yet COs who have the same weapons training are only considered "trained" and "qualified" while on the clock. I moved to Maryland from WV a few years ago for mainly work purposes...by far the largest mistake I have made in my life. We are doing some upgrades to our house so we can put it on the market in hopes of selling it and moving back to a FREE state.

I didn't mean it as a get out of MD if you don't like it comment, my apologies if I came off that way. I think of leaving often myself. It sucks to not be free.

As far as LEOSA, it is MD's fault they have not classified CO's as LEO's like many states do. A few tweaks to MD law and CO's would qualify. The Feds can't fix MD's mistakes unfortunately. Usually only a few in investigative units or arrestee processing units may qualify in most places in MD.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    LEOSA as applied to state correctional officers

Federal Correctional officers are covered under LEOSA and can carry concealed but state Correctional officers can't.

With reference to the country as a whole, that is not accurate. A correctional officer employed by an agency of a state or county is covered by the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (18 USC Sec. 926b and 926c) if he meets the requirements set forth in the federal law, as follows:

(c) As used in this section, the term “qualified law enforcement officer” means an employee of a governmental agency who—

(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807 (b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);

(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;

(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

I looked into this issue several years ago when I was writing an article on LEOSA, and as I recall, the state correctional officers in some states did meet these criteria. However, I do not know whether correctional officers in Maryland meet all of the criteria -- for example, are there any circumstances under which a Maryland correctional officers "has statutory powers of arrest"? (Ignore the phrase that begins with "or apprehension . . .," which was added recently to cover certain military police officers. For everybody else, the standard is "statutory powers of arrest.")

If a correctional officer fulfills the federal requirements, then he can exercise the privilege spelled out in the federal law, in any jurisdiction -- his home state and his employer really have nothing to say about it, in my opinion. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

The question of whether a given officer qualifies under LEOSA is, of course, entirely separate and distinct from the question of whether he would be deemed to qualify for a Maryland state carry permit.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    With reference to the country as a whole, that is not accurate. A correctional officer employed by an agency of a state or county is covered by the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (18 USC Sec. 926b and 926c) if he meets the requirements set forth in the federal law, as follows:

(c) As used in this section, the term “qualified law enforcement officer” means an employee of a governmental agency who—

(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest or apprehension under section 807 (b) of title 10, United States Code (article 7(b) of the Uniform Code of Military Justice);

(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in suspension or loss of police powers;

(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and

(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

I looked into this issue several years ago when I was writing an article on LEOSA, and as I recall, the state correctional officers in some states did meet these criteria. However, I do not know whether correctional officers in Maryland meet all of the criteria -- for example, are there any circumstances under which a Maryland correctional officers "has statutory powers of arrest"? (Ignore the phrase that begins with "or apprehension . . .," which was added recently to cover certain military police officers. For everybody else, the standard is "statutory powers of arrest.")

If a correctional officer fulfills the federal requirements, then he can exercise the privilege spelled out in the federal law, in any jurisdiction -- his home state and his employer really have nothing to say about it, in my opinion. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

The question of whether a given officer qualifies under LEOSA is, of course, entirely separate and distinct from the question of whether he would be deemed to qualify for a Maryland state carry permit.

Correct. There are some Corrections Officers in MD that qualify. Most do not.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Arrest Authority for Corrections Officers and Parole & Probation in MD is limited to the following:

ARREST POWERS AND OTHER AUTHORITY –
    MISCELLANEOUS OFFICERS

Powers of Correctional Officers, Parole and Probation Officers
    Correctional employees monitoring inmates on home detention
    and parole and probation officers supervising offenders on home
    detention have the same powers to arrest these individuals as are
    set forth in this title for police officers. Correctional officers in local
    correctional facilities designated by the managing official under
    Section 11-802 of the Correctional Services Article have the same
    powers to arrest persons on the property of the facility as are set
    forth in this title for police officers.
    (See statute for actual wording)
    Criminal Procedure Article § 2-207

Authority of Parole and Probation Agents
    (a) The Director may authorize parole and probation employees of
    the Division to:
    (1) execute warrants for the retaking of offenders;
    (2) execute warrants for the arrest of probationers for whom a
    warrant is issued for an alleged violation of probation;
    (3) obtain and execute search warrants as authorized under § 6–109
    of this subtitle; and
    (4) arrest offenders in the program as authorized under § 2–207 of
    the Criminal Procedure Article.
    (b) A parole and probation employee who is authorized to make
    arrests under this section shall:
    (1) meet the minimum qualifications required by the Maryland
    Police Training Commission; and
    (2) complete satisfactorily the training prescribed by the Maryland
    Police Training Commission.
    Correctional Services Article § 6-106

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    I had no idea that in other states that COs weren't considered to be LE.

Here in NJ they are sworn LE with all powers of arrest and can carry off duty (statutory authority, no permit necessary), under LEOSA as well and also are eligible for the retired law enforcement carry permit. They go through most of the same academy as NJSP.

In fact for the superbowl they were using COs to supplement LE for sensitive areas.

ninjaroll

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 27, 2013
    I guess the larger question is how many CO's are assaulted while outside of employment in public. My guess would be very few and largely unlikely. Whereas assaults on CO's while on duty in the prison happen on a regular basis. Remember CO David McGuinn was threatened while on the job. His supervisors were aware of the threats. The inmate killed him in the prison. This is not to say a CO's job is safe or easy, but the majority of threats and assaults to CO's happen inside on duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom