• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maesy

Mar 11, 2011
    Commonwealth of VA
    I think I want a Marlin model 70PSS

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/70pss.asp

I need somethine light that can handle just about any kind of terrain.
    OH and something SMALL. the youth models work well. I love the synthetic/stainless build that marlin offers. the ruger 10-22's i looked at didn't have that.

I was just wondering if any of y'all have experience with the marlin papoose??

I've also been told a 17 something or other can be a nice coon hunting gun?

thoughts?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It was my first rifle. I liked it. Didnot have issues with it. I used it for plinking when I had it.

Somebody here have couple. He may chime in. ( forgot who)

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    My papoose has dropped about a dozen groundhogs. Great little rifle, wish i had the stainless, mine is blued with wood stock. Never have had a jam or misfire with it, added a compact 4x scope too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Have a wood/ blue . Currently has WalMart 2.5x scope .
    The OE iron sight is worthless. I am tempted to order a set of irons such as on current M795 . With those would probably remove scope to maximize compactness.

Other than that 100% reliable, no complaints. Accuraccy as expected from a M60 based design.

As to a good 'coon gun , very wide selection, pick whatever apeals to you.

If you want other than .22lr , the flat 200yd trajectory of a 17MHR is probably moot even dealing with a really tall tree. A .22WMR will give a signifigent boost in power , if that's what you're after.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's

OH and something SMALL. the youth models work well. I love the synthetic/stainless build that marlin offers. the ruger 10-22's i looked at didn't have that.

thoughts?

Here ya go.

Ruger 10/22 synthetic/stainless

maesy

Mar 11, 2011
    Commonwealth of VA
    that ruger looks nice! and i had fun at the range shooting them on a table...but I'm 4'11and my redbone and I have been known to run wide open. like 10 miles in a night. and we get stuck in swamps. I need a small, light gun. but nothing cheapo.

I looked at some of the Thompson Centers but they felt like toy guns.

how do I find out if they have a youth model like that synthetic/stainless ruger? i did not see a section on their site for them.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Oh like at beer cans and politician's yard signs in cow pastures? hahaha that's my favorite kind of shooting!

:D:thumbsup:

the papoose is a nice rifle w/ appropriate ammo.. for what you need, it should work. from what i understand about coon hunting.. you really not that far away from your target. also its great that you can take it apart and fits in a little nice case. :thumbsup:

bward1028

Dec 27, 2010
    PG County
    my house mate has an ooold papoose which shoots great. it's incredibly accurate and the way it breaks down is a nice feature. plus it takes the same mags as my 795.

maesy

Mar 11, 2011
    Commonwealth of VA
    i know someone else with an ooooold papoose which i think is a good sign of quality. my friend keeeps on telling me to get the ruger 10-22 because of all the special gadgets and modifications you can make. but I don't need all that jazz..and I assume I can just as easily put a nice scope on a papoose

and you're right, i usually am not too far from my target.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What's up if you shoot upward at a coon but miss the shot, or the bullet goes through the coon and above the tree? Do you go for a head shot or chest shot?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i know someone else with an ooooold papoose which i think is a good sign of quality. my friend keeeps on telling me to get the ruger 10-22 because of all the special gadgets and modifications you can make. but I don't need all that jazz..and I assume I can just as easily put a nice scope on a papoose

and you're right, i usually am not too far from my target.

just get a basic 10/22 and leave it at that....its a dependable .22

maesy

Mar 11, 2011
    Commonwealth of VA
    actually, hitting the paws so you knock it out live is what I prefer. and what alot of the guys i know usually try to do. my redbone, Hana takes hold and does her thing and doesn't make holes in the hide. sometimes you can't get that kind of shot. and you take what you can get.

kill season is out, so I'll just be chasing until october. but i LOVE hunting in the warmer months :)

Goldengoose

Oct 15, 2009
    Fawn Grove, Pennnsylvania

thoughts?
    That Marlin is a good choice for what you are wanting to do.....but it kinda surprises me since you are an avid coon hunter that you didn't mention the other things that you run into hunting coon's (Black Bear) Virginia. And a 22 isn't going to stop them....we use to use a sling shot, pellet pistol to knock the Coon's down out of the tree, we would run Blue's (Blue Tick Hounds) and most of us would carry a 44 Magnum pistol just for that eventful time that we would corner a bear too....not sure what kind of coon's you are running that you would run ten miles a night, we would go down to the creek catch the scent and let the hounds loose and a lot of the times we would build a fire and sit and listen to the hounds run until one of the hounds treed the coon then we would go to the hounds, never seemed more than 1/4 mile away....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom