• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Ok, I'm new to the AK world and I'm going to get one here before October. Perusing Atlantic's website I found a very nice looking converted VEPR, that pretty much fits the bill for exactly what I want cosmetically- wood stock (preferably red) and a side scope mounting bracket to leave myself that option in the future.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...7-62x39mm-rifle-red-wood-detail.html?Itemid=0

My question is that is this a good, reliable rifle? I'm willing to spend some money to get a good one, but this is at the top end of my price range. Is the slant cut receiver an issue at all with the filler block that's installed? And, can they accept standard double stack mags? I'll order it tomorrow if it gets the blessing of those more knowledgeable than I.

Thanks for any input!

Oh, I almost forgot, this purchase already has spousal approval! My wife rocks. :)

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's out of stock.

Crap. It seems you are correct. I woul have thought that "out of stock" should have replaced the "add to cart" button. An the search continues...

Can you put wood furniture on an Arsenal? I just really like the classic AK look.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Last question I think,

They do have a milled arsenal Sam7R in stock. Is there any concern for a cracking receiver like I've heard reports of on milled rifles. I'm assuming not since they seem to make a big deal about their inclusion of forging in the process, my guess is they resolved that issue.

My finger is itching to push that buy button. Lol.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Arsenal of Bulgaria produces milled rifles for the Bulgarian military. No worries on the quality of the SAM receiver.

Some domestically produced receivers can be over- or under-hardened which can cause failure but that is still relatively rare and generally becomes a "known" issue like on the early Century Golanis.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Just put down a deposit on that arsenal. As soon as I can talk to engage tomorrow I'll be paying my balance.

I am a happy camper.

BBQMAN

Jul 3, 2013
    Freeland
    The Veprs are excellent rifles. Check Centerfire Systems. They had a few last time I looked

Don't bother with Centerfire Systems. I tried to order a Vepr in 54r two weeks ago. Got a call a few days later when they were about to ship it and the guy tells me brand new company policy no semi auto rifles to Md.

Does anyone know if there is any real effect in barrel length from 16 to 20 to 23 with the 54r? I'm between a 16" and 20" right now.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Don't bother with Centerfire Systems. I tried to order a Vepr in 54r two weeks ago. Got a call a few days later when they were about to ship it and the guy tells me brand new company policy no semi auto rifles to Md.

Unbelievable - and the "life-saving" law :sad20: doesn't even go into effect until 10/01.

Sirex