Convert a Garand to accept box magazines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Maybe a bit of a misquote on my part - by .308, I was thinking 7.62x51, which is derived from the .308 Winchester. I haven't read the article, but the article title is

"Not A Matter of Great Urgency
    7.62x51 mm NATO U.S. Navy Garand Rifles"

I was also wrong about the box conversion - don't know why I thought that because even flippping through, it shows rounds in en bloc clips - not box mags.

If I remember that article correctly the 7.62x51 rnds fit in the original en bloc clips... I sure would love to have a Garand, even a beat up one, but alas I don't have Garand Money, at least not any money my wife would let me spend on one ha! :D

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    The ATF Firearms Technology Branch interpreted ATF Ruling 85-10 to allow a C&R firearm with swapped-out sights, scope rings, or sling swivel to remain a C&R, but specifically disallows swapping a wooden stock with a synthetic one.

Not sure what happens when you make a modification that would remove a firearm from C&R status though. Do you then remove that firearm from your bound book?

No you wouldn't. Cause the purchase was for a C&R. The C&R is a form of an FFL and of course an FFL has to record all firearms transactions. I'm pretty sure that with an C&R , you just have to only record purchases that you use the license for. But, lately I've been recording all firearms purchases regardless and when I sell a gun. But the ATF is looking for transactions (buying or selling), not what firearms you posess. Of course, a purchase on the bound book implies you posess that firearm. I've never heard of any C&R license holder being audited, but I like to be ahead of the game just in case. Too much information in your bound book is always going to be far better than too little.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    No you wouldn't. Cause the purchase was for a C&R. The C&R is a form of an FFL and of course an FFL has to record all firearms transactions. I'm pretty sure that with an C&R , you just have to only record purchases that you use the license for. But, lately I've been recording all firearms purchases regardless and when I sell a gun. But the ATF is looking for transactions (buying or selling), not what firearms you posess. Of course, a purchase on the bound book implies you posess that firearm. I've never heard of any C&R license holder being audited, but I like to be ahead of the game just in case. Too much information in your bound book is always going to be far better than too little.

It's definitely an odd area I've never had to deal with. For instance, say I happened to luck into Alvin York's M1903 (or M1917 if that's your persuasion) and I acquired it on my C&R license. But then I thought, "You know, this rifle would look great if I chopped the handguards, put a nice Schnabel forend on the stock, and tapped and mounted the receiver for an Aimpoint" (not a real Aimpoint mind you, since I spent all my money on Sgt. York's rifle, just a quality Chinese copy). And then a few years later I trade it to my brother for a Yugo SKS.

Now, Sgt. York's priceless rifle has to be logged out in the "disposed" column of my bound book, so do I use the date I gave it to my brother even though it was no longer considered a C&R at that point?

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    C&R holders do get audited all the time. The auditor makes an appointment and the FFL holder is required to present those firearms in the bound book (those not disposed of). Usually it's a straight-forward affair, but I've heard stories where the auditor is a collector himself, so they end up talking guns for a while.

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    I would still record it. Its called C.Y.A....... Record everything. Date, price, to whom, everything. But, yeah if you got audited and you don't have a gun you purchased in your paperwork and its therefore unaccounted for in your paperwork, you could be in deep water. I wouldn't risk it. The C&R, while a very limited FFL.....is an limited FFL and caries similar responsibilities to FFL dealers. But, you can only sell parts of your collection here and there with it. You can't be clearly buying and then turn around and sell it for a higher price. Then you become "in the business of selling".

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    C&R holders do get audited all the time. The auditor makes an appointment and the FFL holder is required to present those firearms in the bound book (those not disposed of). Usually it's a straight-forward affair, but I've heard stories where the auditor is a collector himself, so they end up talking guns for a while.

Do you actually need a physically book you record in? I've been recording my purchases in a database on my computer with all the information required for each purchase or sale. Can I just print that out if I get audited or should I copy the information I have on my computer to a physical book?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Do you actually need a physically book you record in? I've been recording my purchases in a database on my computer with all the information required for each purchase or sale. Can I just print that out if I get audited or should I copy the information I have on my computer to a physical book?

Yes, it says "Each licensed collector shall enter into a record each receipt and disposition of firearms curios or relics. The record required by this paragraph shall be maintained in bound form under the format prescribed below." That's from page 66 (item f of section 478.125) of the book of federal laws that came with the info packet.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I would still record it. Its called C.Y.A....... Record everything. Date, price, to whom, everything. But, yeah if you got audited and you don't have a gun you purchased in your paperwork and its therefore unaccounted for in your paperwork, you could be in deep water. I wouldn't risk it. The C&R, while a very limited FFL.....is an limited FFL and caries similar responsibilities to FFL dealers. But, you can only sell parts of your collection here and there with it. You can't be clearly buying and then turn around and sell it for a higher price. Then you become "in the business of selling".

Naturally you would record a disposal of a C&R firearm. I was only wondering which date you would use in the bound book. It's semantics really.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom