Constitutional Carry Coming To South Carolina?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    This will be good, if passed. I know because of SC's current laws, many people are disarmed if they visit the state since there's no unlicensed carry and they don't have non-resident permits(unless you own property in SC) and won't accept any 3rd party permits.

Bense

Jun 14, 2008
    That would be great. The only good thing about the Permit is that if you purchase a weapon, you do not have to have an NICS check done. Would love for them to do away with the ban on carrying into a place that alcohol is served. There have been a lot of cars broken into in restaurant parking lots and weapons stolen out of glove boxes.

Bense

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    It's weird they would would make the jump from not accepting out of state permits to constitutional carry.

Such a radical jump really shows the winds are blowing in our favor. The anti-gun club better tighten up the storm hatches.

Courts take into account things like this when issuing rulings.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    This will be good, if passed. I know because of SC's current laws, many people are disarmed if they visit the state since there's no unlicensed carry and they don't have non-resident permits(unless you own property in SC) and won't accept any 3rd party permits.

^ This!

Edit: Don't forget to hit the survey! Currently 71% in favor of dropping the permit requirement.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I think currently you are allowed to keep a loaded firearm in the center console or glove compartment of a vehicle you are riding in, but not allowed to carry on your person unless you have a SC CCW permit. So if you are driving from VA down to FL you do not have to unload your weapon when you hit SC. Just remember to leave it in the car when you get out.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    It's weird they would would make the jump from not accepting out of state permits to constitutional carry.

Such a radical jump really shows the winds are blowing in our favor. The anti-gun club better tighten up the storm hatches.

Courts take into account things like this when issuing rulings.

They do. Heller II is looking like it might be decided based on nothing more than the average of the national practice. Congressional Home Rule allowed DC to regulate guns in "normal" ways. Right now it's coming down to what is "normal" in the USA. Heller is not asking to carry in public, but Palmer is. And Palmer is one level of court below Heller. Heller might score a two-fer there. The bastard.

If you want to see a real swing state, look at what is expected in Wisconsin this year. They might go from no-carry to Constitutional Carry (still hate that loaded term) in one session. I think recent events there have only increased the odds the Senate and Assembly will act without regard to their more liberal colleagues.

I cannot wait to teach trigger discipline to my Mother In Law.

Revvin' Evan

Oct 17, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I think currently you are allowed to keep a loaded firearm in the center console or glove compartment of a vehicle you are riding in, but not allowed to carry on your person unless you have a SC CCW permit. So if you are driving from VA down to FL you do not have to unload your weapon when you hit SC. Just remember to leave it in the car when you get out.

Can this be confirmed? I hope so :thumbsup:

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    So does this, along with other states relaxing various gun laws, help our case in pending federal court cases insofar as discrediting any state government's argument regarding compelling/special interests in regulating carry?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    So does this, along with other states relaxing various gun laws, help our case in pending federal court cases insofar as discrediting any state government's argument regarding compelling/special interests in regulating carry?

It helps in that as Patrick said, the court looks at what is the norm in America, and when 40 states are doing shall issue, and number 41 is about to go live, and we are about to possibly get 2 more Constitutional carries (WY and SC), it's going to be very hard for Maryland to argue that restrictive may issue is the norm.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    SC has a LOT of good things going for it.... They have a lot of very interesting constitutional stuff going as well. They are all about states and individual rights. I own a piece of property there, it's 12.5 acres and the annual property taxes are 22 bucks.... I'll be a full time resident next June or July. They also have an organization called Grass Roots Gun Rights that does basically the same job as MSI for anyone thinking about moving down there, here's a link. http://www.scfirearms.org/

This is not entirely true, SC accepts out of state permits for some states but you have to be a resident of the state that issued the permit. They don't recognize non-resident permits like my Utah permit. Also, because I'm a property owner there I can get a permit but in SC you have to take a SLED approved handgun course beforehand. But it's perfectly legal to keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a permit so you're already better off than a lot of places.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    From the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division Web Site:

RECIPROCITY​
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

The above emphasis is mine.

You need to have a resident permit, but they offer plenty of reciprocity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mr88

Latest threads

Top Bottom