Considering moving to Maryland, trying to get the lay of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Many of us are planning to escape to America or have already gone over the wall. No one in their right mind willingly moved to Soviet Russia and similarly no American should plot how to land in Soviet Maryland. Maryland looks at California's oppressive apparatchiks and says hold my beer, I can do way better than those left coast loons as Marylandstan drives out businesses and loads up on woke school destruction. Just don't.

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    One more guy here to tell you Maryland is fuct. There is no good reason not to go to wv if you want to be in the fredneck area. It's right down the street

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    Thanks all for the great info (and warnings)... Definitely a lot to consider, but I'll have to weigh things from a couple of different angles. I may actually be OK with just having 9mm PCCs and AR-10 .308/Creedmoor. The ban seems even more dumb the more I learn about it...
    There's so much more to the suck than gun laws. Taxes, woke bs in schools, motor vehicle, real estate, on and on. If you move here, everyone chiming in on this thread will get to collectively say I told you so.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    1) Cant possess uppers in caliber .223/5.56 unless HBAR or affixed to a pre-ban lower. No HBAR restriction on other calibers. No restrictions on lowers. If you buy a lower in MD, it gets registered with state police and 7 day waiting period applies, just like a handgun.

2) AR9 carbine is fine, 9mm carbine with a multi-caliber lower (which takes .223/5.56) is fine, too. Pistols, however have to be on an approved list.

3) AR10 is fine. I seem to recall there is 1 specific one on the banned list. Restriction on this or any semi-auto center fire rifle is that it not be on the banned list, and not have 2 evil features. Flash hider is one, so is foldable stock or a grenade launcher.

4) 10 rounds mag purchase limit in MD; no possession limit.

5) Yes, it's nation wide now that they have to give you a permit. Here you gotta get training first (unless retired military or LEO) and list some references.

6) Not an expert - others will correct me if I'm wrong - but I think you need your CCW to open carry a handgun. Open carry of long guns I think you need to be aware of some Fish and Game restrictions, too.

7) OK.

8) OK if over 29" overall with collapsible stock extended, not including removable muzzle devices, otherwise needs to have a brace vice a stock.

9) Yup.

Also, when you move to MD you have to register handguns and pre-ban firearms with the state police.

You should also be aware that MD has specific restrictions about transporting firearms, too.

Some official references (the banned list for long guns, and the allowed list for handguns):

To get a Wear & Carry in Maryland as retired Military you still have to have the training. Training is only waved for Militarry Retireee on the HQL because you are not required to have an HQL as retired military. But you MUST get the training for the W&C

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Good catches.

On the first one, though, if you don't own a pre-ban lower, they might be able to get you for "constructive possession" of a banned firearm. I've never heard of the state doing this, although the ATF has reportedly done it for federal regulations.
    Good Grief. They dont need to pass anymore restrictions on Marylanders. You guys do it to yourselves.

CatoctinOutfitters

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2023
    Frederick, MD
    Maryland is a beautiful state to visit, a lot of history and natural beauty the further you are from the overcrowded metro suburbs, but until the cost of living levels out I'd look at PA, VA , and WV. The state, from a pollical standpoint, currently isn't too friendly to gun owners or firearm enthusiasts as well.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Thanks all for the great info (and warnings)... Definitely a lot to consider, but I'll have to weigh things from a couple of different angles. I may actually be OK with just having 9mm PCCs and AR-10 .308/Creedmoor. The ban seems even more dumb the more I learn about it...
    Bingo! You already have the realization we in Maryland have, but you still have a chance to not come here and be stuck with it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    To get a Wear & Carry in Maryland as retired Military you still have to have the training. Training is only waved for Militarry Retireee on the HQL because you are not required to have an HQL as retired military. But you MUST get the training for the W&C
    Incorrect. Any/all former military with DD214 showing Honorable Discharge are exempt from the W&C permit training requirement.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Hello all. I've lived in the DMV for the past 30 years, Mostly NoVA, but for a number of reasons, I'm considering a move to Maryland (Frederick area). I've tried to compile a list of questions and concerns that I would like to get some clarification on to help me in my decision. Apologies in advance, I'm sure all of these questions are answered in various different threads on the board, but the lack of a single resource or FAQ has left me wanting. I'm just trying to get a solid handle on what kind of hurdles I would be facing should I decide to move to MD. Here goes:

1. AR-15 ban: Am I able to move to the state with firearms/lowers that I purchased in a different state after the MD ban date? Am I able to possess but not purchase?
    If purchased before Oct 1, 2013 no restriction on the upper so long as is was a complete rifle. After Oct 1, 2013, HBAR only for .223/5.56 rifles.

2. AR-9/PCC: Am I able to purchase and own these firearms so long as the lower will not allow a .223/5.56 round (Something manufactured specifically for 9mm rounds)?
    1. If so, are there any restrictions on this type of weapon?
      1. Collapsable stock so long as the total length is sufficient
      2. Foregrips
      3. Flash hiders/muzzle breaks
      4. Barrel weight
      5. Anything else I am missing

GTG, able to purchase and own in Maryland.
    3. AR-10: Am I able to purchase and own these firearms so long as the lower will not allow a .223/5.56 round (Something manufactured specifically for .308 rounds)?
    1. If so, are there any restrictions on this type of weapon?
      1. Collapsable stock so long as the total length is sufficient
      2. Foregrips
      3. Flash hiders/muzzle breaks
      4. Barrel weight
      5. Anything else I am missing
    Able to purchase and own, can't have two "evil features" (folding stock, flash hider, grenade launcher/flare launcher)

4. Magazine capacity: Limit? Ownership of higher capacity magazines legality but unable to purchase in state?
    No limit on capacity ownership, 10 round limit on what can be purchased in state.

5. Concealed carry (Firearm): Readily available and granted?
    16 hours training, $150 fee, finger prints, wait.

6. Open Carry?
    Nope, no longer legal as of Oct 1, 2023

7. Suppressors?
    Perfectly legal

Perfectly legal, MD requirement is AOL of 29", any short (Federal 26") and it's illegal per state law.

9. Castle doctrine inside of home?
    Not enshrined in state statute, common law understanding.

Are there more things I should take into consideration?

Thanks!
    There probably are, but if you hang out here long enough and ignore the "don't do it" crowd, you should be fine.

Next thing is to find local range(s) and exercise your rights in state.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Good catches.

On the first one, though, if you don't own a pre-ban lower, they might be able to get you for "constructive possession" of a banned firearm. I've never heard of the state doing this, although the ATF has reportedly done it for federal regulations.
    No. An AR Upper is not a Firearm.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    I moved to MoCo from DuPage county in Illinois so I don't see it as bad as some others. Some of the bans may get over turned by some decisions in California, just like the CCW restrictions were overturned. That said, I agree with the others that WV is probably a better option, but WV it has its own issues. Best advice is investigate, investigate, investigate before making a decision. That or rent for a while.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I lived outside of Frederick City for many years...and Montgomery County as well. Frederick has definitely turned in Montgomery County North...been happening for decades but the change is more rapid than ever.

I saw someone refer to Fredrick as “The Portland Oregon equivalent in Maryland”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I moved to MoCo from DuPage county in Illinois so I don't see it as bad as some others. Some of the bans may get over turned by some decisions in California, just like the CCW restrictions were overturned. That said, I agree with the others that WV is probably a better option, but WV it has its own issues. Best advice is investigate, investigate, investigate before making a decision. That or rent for a while.
    The District Court decisions in CA have no direct effect on laws in Maryland, although they can be used as persuasive arguments. Ultimately each states' laws need to be challenged in court separately unless the state simply caves on enforcement like MD did after Bruen on Good and Substantial for carry permits.

If SCOTUS issues clear rulings, those local suits are can be decided quickly. If there is any wiggle room in SCOTUS rulings, District and Appellate courts who are hostile to 2A seemingly foot drag on issuing decisions, leaving laws in effect. Look at the NY and the Antonyuk case in 2CA to see what happens when a state fights back against a SCOTUS ruling they disagree with.

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I don't know why any freedom loving American would voluntarily move to this political freedom hating shYthole of a State. All of the "nice things Maryland has to offer" are just not worth it.

OP, if you move here, consider yourself warned. DON'T DO IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom