Considering moving to Maryland, trying to get the lay of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I wouldn’t make that the only reason to move to WV.
    Sure. That was just to address the interest to enjoy Frederick. I thought it was funny to have so many gun law questions involved in a decision that to me I’d look elsewhere. But I guess that depends on what you presently need for your own gun interests if you don’t think about future purchases or the law in general.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    1) Cant possess uppers in caliber .223/5.56 unless HBAR or affixed to a pre-ban lower. No HBAR restriction on other calibers. No restrictions on lowers. If you buy a lower in MD, it gets registered with state police and 7 day waiting period applies, just like a handgun.

2) AR9 carbine is fine, 9mm carbine with a multi-caliber lower (which takes .223/5.56) is fine, too. Pistols, however have to be on an approved list.

3) AR10 is fine. I seem to recall there is 1 specific one on the banned list. Restriction on this or any semi-auto center fire rifle is that it not be on the banned list, and not have 2 evil features. Flash hider is one, so is foldable stock or a grenade launcher.

4) 10 rounds mag purchase limit in MD; no possession limit.

5) Yes, it's nation wide now that they have to give you a permit. Here you gotta get training first (unless retired military or LEO) and list some references.

6) Not an expert - others will correct me if I'm wrong - but I think you need your CCW to open carry a handgun. Open carry of long guns I think you need to be aware of some Fish and Game restrictions, too.

7) OK.

8) OK if over 29" overall with collapsible stock extended, not including removable muzzle devices, otherwise needs to have a brace vice a stock.

9) Yup.

Also, when you move to MD you have to register handguns and pre-ban firearms with the state police.

You should also be aware that MD has specific restrictions about transporting firearms, too.

Some official references (the banned list for long guns, and the allowed list for handguns):

#5. Correction. Don't need to be "retired" military. Just Need a DD214 with honorable discharge. Not sure if there is a minimum term. My 4 years in the USAF qualified for the waiver. Ironic given that the USAF has the lowest level of firearms training. Once at basic. once 3 years later. Ha.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    @Boba I'll be the unpopular opinion:

Move here because we need more liberty-minded people. We'll be stronger with you...but it will be a hassle and a sacrifice.

That was a good idea .... In 1990 . Alas , that ship has already irreversibly left the station .

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    IMG_4601.jpeg

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore
    Not sure what the law is but I thought it's worth bringing up; would the ar lowers be subject to registration as 'restricted firearms'?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not sure what the law is but I thought it's worth bringing up; would the ar lowers be subject to registration as 'restricted firearms'?
    Lowers that have an upper affixed to them and make a complete rifle that is MD legal have no requirement to be "registered".

(People need to get that word OUT of their mouth when it comes to Maryland)

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore
    Lowers that have an upper affixed to them and make a complete rifle that is MD legal have no requirement to be "registered".

(People need to get that word OUT of their mouth when it comes to Maryland)
    But if the uppers are removed to comply to comply with the ar ban ...?
    The OP asked
    1. AR-15 ban: Am I able to move to the state with firearms/lowers
    Just trying to make sure all bases are covered.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    But if the uppers are removed to comply to comply with the ar ban ...?
    The OP asked

Just trying to make sure all bases are covered.
    You apparently didn't read the whole thread. All of the OPs questions were answered in post 33.

BigMac

Oct 15, 2023
    Baltimore
    You apparently didn't read the whole thread. All of the OPs questions were answered in post 33.

I did read the whole thread. The OP specified lowers and post 33 only addresses uppers. Wanted to make sure the lowers weren't overlooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom