• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Let me clarify. With this impending ban I am contemplating several buys. After paying for and picking up my new Vaquero HOPEFULLY in the next few weeks, I'd like to get an M1A since they will be banned. However Ive had an itch to get a nice "long range" bolt gun. Even though it wont be banned, Its been on my "to buy" list for a loooong time. Even though Ill probably do the M1A first Ill want to be slowly planning this rifle. I would like to do a Remington 700, but not in .308. My good friend has one and I love it, but everyone has a .308. Id like to be able to take down damn near any large game in North America, as Ive recently been talking my relatives in CO and WY about hunting with them. I don't plan on shooting this a ton so ammo cost doesnt matter. I'd like to keep the stock synthetic, as I like the SPS model. No rails, no gadgets. Harris bipod and a scope. I dont plan to use it for 1000 yard matches or anything like that. So im not looking for super insane precision builds. Im curious what you guys go with and recommend. But .308 is out as well as .223. Definitely a Leupold Scope and quality rings. Id also like it to be capable of accepting a suppressor eventually if I get it threaded. This is still up in the air, and im open to suggestions. It will be mainly paper punching, melon exploding, and a few hunting trips. Id also like to take a class with E Shell eventually.

I appreciate any help from you experienced guys.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Just get this one of these and be done with it :D

Attachments

• sako trg42.JPG
      sako trg42.JPG
      119.2 KB · Views: 314
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      98 KB · Views: 305

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Or you can go old school . Shilo Sharps 45-110 Quigley , this is all dad . I have only shot it a few times , I don't like touching it :lol2:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      102.1 KB · Views: 293
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      114.9 KB · Views: 289

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I'm probably going to go with a long range bolt as well in the future.

Either looking at a Rem 700 or back to a Tikka T3, chambered in either 300 WM or 7mm Mag.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    .30-06 is a great all around round, good for every North American game animal.

.300 WinMag gives you more velocity with similar bullets.

7mm magnums are also nice.

If I bought a TRG42 (which is in the plans) it would be in .338 Lapua Magnum. No particular reason, except I am intriged by the round.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I love the 50BMG but if I could only pick one it would either be my POF .308, since I just love the AR10, or this little guy:

I have a Savage in .300 and a 700 in .308 if you want to test drive them all one afternoon. :D

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    well, since MOST hunting in N. America takes place at less than 200 yards, the .270 round, which can almost be found EVERYWHERE for sale, and comes in a large variety of bullet weights is extremely versatile and inexpensive to shoot. It is probably good out to 400 yards with capable glass......and shooter :-).

There is also the 6.5 x 47 Lapua if you want 1/4 MOA accuracy and it is good for most N. American game, except Bear and ELk, Moose. YOu can also shoot 1000 yard competition IF you get bored. It shoots flatter than a .308 and hits almost as hard.

But, for the bigger boolits and long range also, the 7mm Magnum is probably your best bet. There really is no need for anything larger unless you would be going for Bear, in which case, the 7mm would do the job or

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , you realize the criteria is vague , and somewhat contradictory. I am going to whip out my crystal ball of mindreading your potential parameters :

Referencing blending in with typical hunters of CO and WY implies enough horsepower for Elk , and enough range for at least average Antelope.

Not having specific target shooting aspirations , or ultra long range goals implies sufficient field accuracy and precision to connect on Antelope at +/- 300-ish yards.

A reasonably decent hunting grade bolt action , with possably minor tuning can be expected to do 1.0-1.5 MOA . That will handle the above criteria. So pick any random major to semi-major brand hunting grade bolt action platform.

If you also wanted a popular , while not being embarassed to hunt on east coast , readily available choics caleber , the two most popular would indeed be .300 WinMag and 7mmRemMag . If you want a short action on purpose , look at the WSM , or RSAUM equivilents.

But since you can only bend the laws of physics but so far , they are not great candidates for suppresors.

If I read your parameters wrong , and suppressor use is more important than blending in during Elk hunting , then switch to plan B : A mild 7mm,or 6.5mm. Use a high SD super premium bullet for actual hunting , and be careful with distance , and precise shot placement. And frequently defend yourself at campfire bullsession in weatern big game camps.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Ed Shell posted in the "Remington 700, 30-06" thread and that is an education. I've had an SOS in 308 with 26" barrel for a few years. It is a piece of ordnance and will lend lots of learning to precision marksmanship for a long time. Mine is stock but shoots very as it impresses it should. You won't regret getting one.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I've had my eye on the FN tac model lately. I've already got an SPS tac Remmy in .308 so my next bolt will be something a bit larger.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Realize there is a reason that "everyone has a .308"

It is a good round. Good performance out to 1000 yards or more; short action (shorter bolt throw); readily available brass, including match brass; factory match ammo from several companies (Federal, Black Hills, Lake City, Hornady, etc); good selection of factory ammo bullets weights; "cheaper" surplus ammo for fun shooting; WELL researched, so easy to get help.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Realize there is a reason that "everyone has a .308"

It is a good round. Good performance out to 1000 yards or more; short action (shorter bolt throw); readily available brass, including match brass; factory match ammo from several companies (Federal, Black Hills, Lake City, Hornady, etc); good selection of factory ammo bullets weights; "cheaper" surplus ammo for fun shooting; WELL researched, so easy to get help.

Sure is a great round but im bored with it. I want something with more oompf

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom