• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    What happens to guns that are otherwise in working condition that Maryland police confiscates from people not allowed to have them?

I would assume that they get melted down in this state.

However that seems like a horrible waste of otherwise valuable items that could generate a little revenue for the state/county.

Do the individual counties handle them differently than state police?

pittsaero

Mar 29, 2013
    Not sure I am correct, but I think Anne Arundel County sells them through local FFl's once they are checked for being stolen.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Under State law weapons seized as "contraband" in violation of the Public Safety Article are "destroyed." How that is implemented from jurisdiction to jurisdiction may vary, but you will never see them being resold - even if they are in perfect working order.

Morgan321

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 6, 2013
    SOMD
    I don't know about maryland, but many jurisdictions do sell confiscated firearms in bulk to distributors, who sell them to dealers, who sell them to the public. It's an income source for lots of police departments. Just like they sell their old service pistols.

Dave T

Wait a minute... now I understand that if a weapon is seized from someone committing a crime with it, they're never going to see that weapon again. But what if someone buys firearms, passes the background checks and all... but later something in their status changes which disallows them to own a firearm. Is the gov going to confiscate all their firearms with no compensation, or no ability to transfer them to someone who is eligible to own them?

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    all very interesting.

maybe we could use this. Maryland definitely cares about $$.

I can see a headline something on the lines of "Maryland destroys millions of dollars worth of items that would otherwise go to local charities and needy children"

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    My opinion is that crooked cops along the line re-sell them to drug dealers
    You do need to be careful of this. When I had 3 of mine illegally seized a few years back, one of them went "missing" for a short time. My attorney advised me to file a complaint about it with IAB immediately, so if it ever ended up as a "drop gun" there would be a paper trail linking it to the seizure.
    It also figures that of the three firearms taken it was the sole handgun that went unaccounted for.
    It took a few weeks, but they ended up tracking it down.
    It makes you wonder what was going on and what would have happened if I hadn't made the complaint.

Anyway, the LAW says the firearms get destroyed. however I know well enough to know that the police don't always follow the law. I wouldn't be surprised if stuff isn't stripped for parts, sold, and just receivers (parts with serial numbers) get destroyed, or even if certain things get "appropriated" by departments or individuals. I know everything else gets sold (cases, sights, gear, etc), appropriated, or trashed. I know Baltimore County uses propertyroom.com/.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    What happens to guns that are otherwise in working condition that Maryland police confiscates from people not allowed to have them?

I would assume that they get melted down in this state.

However that seems like a horrible waste of otherwise valuable items that could generate a little revenue for the state/county.

Do the individual counties handle them differently than state police?

Hate to be jaded, but you cannot tell me that if the cops came across a noveski, or LVOA , or Larue, that , that gun wouldn't magically be "transferred" instead of being destroyed.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Wasn't a PG county LEO recently convicted of selling confiscated firearms to others, including a criminal who used it to shoot another cop? (I might have the county wrong)

I don't remember ever seeing what his sentence was.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    Wait a minute... now I understand that if a weapon is seized from someone committing a crime with it, they're never going to see that weapon again. But what if someone buys firearms, passes the background checks and all... but later something in their status changes which disallows them to own a firearm. Is the gov going to confiscate all their firearms with no compensation, or no ability to transfer them to someone who is eligible to own them?

YES.
    I'm sure other people will say differently, but I personally have had county police illegally enter my home, search it, and seize firearms before. They pretty much do whatever the hell they want.
    And because I know you're going to ask... a girl I was seeing called 911 and said I was suicidal (I wasn't).
    Still, 12 officers showed up at my home, I met them outside, they handcuffed me, I answered their questions, cooperated fully (naively believing that was the right thing to do), and I was taken off to an ER to be evaluated (and immediately released after having spoken to doctors there).
    I didn't give them permission to do what they did, no other resident gave permission (in fact they were told to get out, but they said "we can do whatever we want"), the law didn't give them the right as no crime was committed no one was under arrest and there were no charges (so they had no right to search my immediate surroundings for weapons or evidence of a crime)

So yes, you should just expect them to come and take what they want, when they want. I never got my stuff back because the detective who had it flat out lied in order to keep it. According to him I've been hospitalized in a mental institution for 30+ days. That's funny, because the MSP, FBI, my medical records, and all the stuff I've bought since then says otherwise.
    If I wanted to see any of my stuff again I would have had to go to court, which would have cost more than the value of what was taken. What's the sense in that?
    This is the kind of crap you have to deal with in Maryland.

I know someone who is going through this now (AA county).Long story short,he's a felon who was caught with 3 guns (.22 rifle,single shot 12 and a Hawken) in his closet.AA county is releasing them to a family member.I'm not sure if this is normal protocol or not,just stating what I know about this case.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    I know someone who is going through this now (AA county).Long story short,he's a felon who was caught with 3 guns (.22 rifle,single shot 12 and a Hawken) in his closet.AA county is releasing them to a family member.I'm not sure if this is normal protocol or not,just stating what I know about this case.
    I take it he legally purchased/owned them, then the A-Team came to get them due to the felony conviction? If that's the case I can understand them allowing him to transfer them to another family member who can pass the background check. If he acquired them illegally I'd imagine they would be held as evidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom