• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I received a quote of over $10,000 to pour three slabs about 15'x16' over existing loose gravel and level. Is this a fair price for this project?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    3 x (15'x16') = 720 square feet
    $10,000 / 720 = $13.88 per square foot

Seems very expensive, but without knowing what their reasoning is, no way to say for sure. I would get another price or two.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    3 x (15'x16') = 720 square feet
    $10,000 / 720 = $13.88 per square foot

Seems very expensive, but without knowing what their reasoning is, no way to say for sure. I would get another price or two.
    This - and let each know that you're getting multiple quotes. We renovated part of the house a couple of years ago and got about 5 quotes given the size of the job. Four quotes clustered around the same price and one quoted us 3X the price of the first four. The last one was telling us that he didn't want the job without telling us that he didn't want the job

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Look at this article. It seems on the higher end could have to do with site access and how far they have to buggy the material

That article is either a bit out of date or from another region.

Here in central Maryland, today, concrete is $180 a cubic yard. One of our contractors (high volume) just told me that's what he's paying right now, and to fully satisfy my curiosity I'm waiting for another quote from Chaney in Annapolis.

ETA: Chaney quoted me (our company) $267/CY delivered to Millersville 10 yards at a time. The $180 above was definitely a high-volume price to our contractor who runs thousands of yards a year.

Last edited:

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Does this price include forming, reinforcing (assuming wire mesh) but heavier loading means larger rebar, and as mentioned distance of concrete truck to placement. Any special edging/tooling by finishers? Expansion joints? Oh yea is this 4500 psi concrete or a higher strength?

Last edited:

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    That article is either a bit out of date or from another region.

Here in central Maryland, today, concrete is $180 a cubic yard. One of our contractors (high volume) just told me that's what he's paying right now, and to fully satisfy my curiosity I'm waiting for another quote from Chaney in Annapolis.

ETA: Chaney quoted me (our company) $267/CY delivered to Millersville 10 yards at a time. The $180 above was definitely a high-volume price to our contractor who runs thousands of yards a year.
    I paid somewhere around 140 3 years ago, 267 is insane.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I paid somewhere around 140 3 years ago, 267 is insane.
    Yes, it IS insane, but bear in mind that three years ago is a LONG time in today's financial context, and if you went and got a hopper of ready-mix yourself, we're already talking apples to oranges.

Lots of stuff went to insane levels with the WuFlu hoax and with energy prices jumping under the current mis-administration, especially transportation intense things like sand, lime, concrete. That price is/was a (small) contractor price for a 3,500 PSI mix. Lesser strength mixes can be had for less.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Yes, it IS insane, but bear in mind that three years ago is a LONG time in today's financial context, and if you went and got a hopper of ready-mix yourself, we're already talking apples to oranges.

Lots of stuff went to insane levels with the WuFlu hoax and with energy prices jumping under the current mis-administration, especially transportation intense things like sand, lime, concrete. That price is/was a (small) contractor price for a 3,500 PSI mix. Lesser strength mixes can be had for less.
    5000 psi with fiber mesh, 9 yards for context.

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    We had slab done last summer. 20’ x 30’ x 6” with 4 24” x 24” x 12” footers for a drive on lift and 6’ x 12’ side walk connection. They did all the prep, forming and lots of rebar. The area was relatively level and had packed gravel and millings already. The rebar and forming took 2 guys most of a day. The skid steer work, pour and finishing added up to about another day. $6900.

redsandman6

Dec 22, 2011
    Dundalk
    Does this price include forming, reinforcing (assuming wire mesh) but heavier loading means larger rebar, and as mentioned distance of concrete truck to placement. Any special edging/tooling by finishers? Expansion joints? Oh yea is this 4500 psi concrete or a higher strength?
    i agree details are lacking to know if this is a good price on not. especially the thickness of the concrete. a 15x16x4"= 2.96cy 15x16x6"=4.44 cy. at 4 inches you are close to 8.88 yards of concrete. i would order 10 if i were pouring it at 4 inches. at 6 inches its 13.32 yards of concrete. that 2 trucks. probably 14.5 or 15 yards, you never want to run out. its always better to send some back then to have to order an emergency short load. i would pour them all at once. but if you could only do one at a time this would raise the price of concrete because at 3 and 4 yards they would be considered short loads and the concrete companies charge extra for small orders

$267 a yard sounds about right if i had to guess. slabs at 6" is about $4k in concrete. slabs at 4" come out to be $2400 this is just the price of concrete. add gravel for base, rebar and/or wire mesh, labor time to grade if needed. labor for forming. hauling away any dirt, if digging out the pads. dump fees for the dirt. buggy rental?

i would always get 3 or 4 quotes. see if the quote is itemized so you can compare what each is charging for material vs labor. the last thing i would consider is where the pour is at. if its out in middle of nowhere it maybe hard to get concrete delivered so the price may go up.

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    A buddy of mine just had a pole building built with apron in front of garage doors and around 40 feet of sidewalk, 19 yards of concrete was $19,000 everything included labor, finishing, wire, plastic ......

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I have some guys finishing up a project out back for me in preparation for listing our house. They do it all and I’m very happy with them in every way. I will be asking them for a proposal on our new smaller house to convert a covered patio into a 4 seasons room. They are local to you also. Ask for Din. 301-401-1253

PS, anyone looking for a house in the Aspen development of Lake Linganore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom