• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    To get the carry permit in MD, one has to take a course. Does the hunter safety course meet this requirement, or is there a particular class required? Thanks

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Contact 3rdrcn here. He offers a great course which will qualify you for MD's wear and carry permit as well as the HQL. It's a two-day course and he has a lawyer attend to answer any questions you may have. This alone is almost worth the price of the course.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    ok, next question is, when RENEWING the license, does the class have to be taken again, or is it a once in a lifetime when you take the class

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    ok, next question is, when RENEWING the license, does the class have to be taken again, or is it a once in a lifetime when you take the class

Yes, it has to be taken again, but only an 8 hour refresher.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Yes, it has to be taken again, but only an 8 hour refresher.

I disagree. Not sure how the law was written, but on the MSP website it lists exemptions. See the 2 bolded sections.

From the site.. https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Training/WearandCarryPermit.aspx
    Who needs It

Every original application and renewal application submitted after October 1, 2013, unless exempt. If you are any one of the below you are exempted.

1) You are an active law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.

2) You are a retired law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.

3) You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.

4) You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police.

5) You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I disagree. Not sure how the law was written, but on the MSP website it lists exemptions. See the 2 bolded sections.

From the site.. https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...Registration/Training/WearandCarryPermit.aspx
    Who needs It

Every original application and renewal application submitted after October 1, 2013, unless exempt. If you are any one of the below you are exempted.

1) You are an active law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.

2) You are a retired law enforcement officer with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State.

3) You are an active, retired, or honorably discharged member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard.

4) You are a Qualified Handgun Instructor registered with the Maryland State Police.

5) You have successfully completed a firearms training course given by a Qualified Handgun Instructor. (The on-line firearm safety course is no longer accepted).
    That means you still need to take the class.. Lol

Read the top portion. They are even highlighted.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    That means you still need to take the class.. Lol

Read the top portion. They are even highlighted.

Doesn't matter that MSP highlighted it on the website, what matters is that the exemption is written into the law. The exemption also applies to Leos. How would that square with the highlighted section at the top of the page?

Once you take the course, either as a new applicant or renewal, you do not have to take it again. The exemption is in the law.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    Doesn't matter that MSP highlighted it on the website, what matters is that the exemption is written into the law. The exemption also applies to Leos. How would that square with the highlighted section at the top of the page?

Once you take the course, either as a new applicant or renewal, you do not have to take it again. The exemption is in the law.

not true.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

From the site.. https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Training/WearandCarryPermit.aspx
    Who needs It

From the law:

(5) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (B) OF THIS SECTION, HAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED PRIOR TO APPLICATION AND EACH RENEWAL, A FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY THAT INCLUDES:

Emphasis is mine. A new course needs to be taken before each renewal.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Do you have permit? When did you renew yours?

I am exempt from the class for renewal as I am an Qualified instructor.

Your question does not answer the original question.

Now also I hope we are talking about non firm licenses. ie not security/armor guards and PI's. Those folks still have to jump through the hoops.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    From the law:

(5) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (B) OF THIS SECTION, HAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED PRIOR TO APPLICATION AND EACH RENEWAL, A FIREARMS TRAINING COURSE APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY THAT INCLUDES:

Emphasis is mine. A new course needs to be taken before each renewal.

My post is EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (B) OF THIS SECTION

Now what...

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am exempt from the class for renewal as I am an Qualified instructor.

Your question does not answer the original question.

Now also I hope we are talking about non firm licenses. ie not security/armor guards and PI's. Those folks still have to jump through the hoops.
    See dblas post.

You being qualifed should or need to know this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom