• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Simple answer is the largest and easiest to shoot pistol that you can comfortably conceal, chambered in the most powerful caliber you are proficint with, with a mag that holds the most rounds possible without printing too much, and all while fitting in your budget both to buy, and to feed ammo to for plenty of practice, and it must remain completely reliable.

Well said, with the Nakasone Caveat noted below:

don't go with a .380 acp, .32 or .25acp. Get a 9mm, .40S&W, .45acp, .357sig, .357mag or .38+p.

My own personal opinion on gun choice mirrors what's been said above. I will add a few things. Change your wardrobe, not your gun. Do not settle for a mousegun of insufficent calibre or of sufficent calibre, but unpleasent to practice with. My personal carry gun is a Glock 22 with a spare mag. You can conceal this thing in the worst of summer heat as long as you are willing to modify your wardrobe and still not look like a slob. It's effectivness and reliability are beyond questioning.

If you select a semi-auto, carry a spare mag, always, no exceptions. Even the best semi-suto can jam and sometimes the quickest way to get it back in the fight requires you to rip the mag out and reload. This is much easier to do with a spare mag than trying to hold one mag and manipulate the slide of the gun while under attack.

Small, lightweight guns of sufficent calibre are almost always unpleasent to shoot. You won't want to practice with it and may develop bad habits because of it. Determined shooters can make these work for them, but the casual shooter can not. I fired the all steel Ruger Sp-101 and the S&W airweight before we settled on a gun for my wife. For her, the Ruger is controlable and useful up through 158gr .38+p. The Airweight was uncomortable for her with any loads and she flinched so badly with that same load that she missed the paper at 7 yards. Long and short of that, a clunky gun may be a little harder to conceal, but you can adapt.

All of course, just my two cents.

olzkool

Feb 20, 2009
    Baltimore
    Mark 23, with suppressor... plenty of ammo, accurate as hell, doubles as a club, quiet so your ears arent left ringing, and pick up the ladies when you wear it concealed tucked in the front :innocent0

Thats how I roll at the strip clubs at night. I have to use it to beat the women off me :D

Mark C

Jul 6, 2008
    Nobody mentioned the Sig P6 yet? I'm not sure I've seen a single CCW thread go past the first page without at least one supporter. I don't carry, but that sure is a nice little gun, I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy to work with.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Nobody mentioned the Sig P6 yet? I'm not sure I've seen a single CCW thread go past the first page without at least one supporter. I don't carry, but that sure is a nice little gun, I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy to work with.

+1:thumbsup:
    Add the sig 225 to the list of guns I wish I hadn't sold over the years. I loved that piece, and it was really accurate to boot.:mad54:

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Simple answer is the largest and easiest to shoot pistol that you can comfortably conceal, chambered in the most powerful caliber you are proficint with, with a mag that holds the most rounds possible without printing too much, and all while fitting in your budget both to buy, and to feed ammo to for plenty of practice, and it must remain completely reliable.

For me this would be (if MD ever wakes up) my XD-45...esspecially now that I got the combat trigger job and trijicon night sights...

Repoman

Buying Before Ban
    Mar 30, 2009
    Silver Spring, MD
    I just bought a Ruger LCP - that thing is tiny, smooth and well-made. Loaded with HydraShock it would be a bad day for anyone on the receiving end.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I always try to steer people clear of the Glocks. Every police agency, federal, state or whatever, that has switched to the Glocks has seen a dramatic increase in unintentional discharges. And though it's true that a determined user can learn to use it safely, there are too many other, safer, guns out on the market.

I like the old stainless steel Smith & Wesson autos. But most modern guns will give you great reliability. The 1911s tend to be vastly overpriced and not as inherently reliable as some of the more modern guns. I also like the Berettas.

http://sleepless.blogs.com/george/2005/11/glock_handguns_.html

There's also this priceless video of the DEA agent who shot himself in a classroom.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Sorry Cold Steel, I don't buy it. In the article you sight, the author even states:

The truth is out there

Anecdotes tell the story, but they don't really prove anything. Here's a worthwhile project for someone with the time and money to do it. The Freedom of Information Act allows any citizen to make an inquiry of the Federal government for documents. So someone could make a FOIA request for documents indicating the number and circumstances of reported accidental handgun discharges in the U.S. armed forces within some time period.

And the state of Texas has an Open Records Act which is similar to FOIA. So the person undertaking this project could make queries of several Texas municipal police departments for reported accidental handgun discharges and the type of gun involved.

If the results show a statistically significant number then a proper comparison could be made. Any volunteers?

So, he thinks this is true, but hasn't done the research. I've carried one for over 8 years, no AD and it's not because I'm a "determined user", it's because I keep my booger hook off the trigger until it's time to fire. A lot of people don't like Glock for whatever reason and that's fine, but it's a safe pistol. If someone has to depend on a manual safety to prevent an AD than either they are an unsafe shooter or their weapon is dangerously malfunctioning.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I'd have to agree with joppaj....it all comes back to the operator error. Finger should NEVER be on the trigger until you're ready to fire. Thats goes if your firearms has an external safety or not.

ArmyDV

Krull the Warrior King
    Jan 10, 2009
    Mark 23, with suppressor... plenty of ammo, accurate as hell, doubles as a club, quiet so your ears arent left ringing, and pick up the ladies when you wear it concealed tucked in the front :innocent0

I prefer the 14k gold plated, Desert Eagle... matches ma grill yo. I can also hang it from ma chain when I "lean back" to keep me from tippin' yo.

Seriously though, I would suggest looking into the Sig P239 .40 S&W... love it! Unless you really want a double stack, then I'd go for the G26.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I'd have to agree with joppaj....it all comes back to the operator error. Finger should NEVER be on the trigger until you're ready to fire. Thats goes if your firearms has an external safety or not.

Any mechanical can fail. Your number one safety is YOU! A gun sitting on a table doesn't just go off, it goes off when you put your finger on the trigger and that's about it.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Yes, mechanical safeties are a backup. The brain is the number one safety.

Truthfully though, many police do not shoot often enough to be familiar with their firearm. Revolvers are no more safe than a GLOCK and we did not have those probloems back in the day when revolvers were the norm for PD's.

Get them to the range more often.

Splitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom