• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfejp

Apr 8, 2011
    Waldorf
    Do any of the MD handgun permit holders conceal carry a full sized hand gun? I usual carry a Glock 27 or my Kimber ultra covert. But lately I have been thinking about different scenarios where magazine capacity could be an issue. So last weekend I decided to carry my Glock 22 it fit well into my crossbreed holster that I use for my Glock 27, it was surprisingly comfortable, and easy to conceal. It was way easier , and faster to draw I think I’ll start carrying my Glock 22 more often. Does anyone ells feel the same way.

somddude

Has a big Member
    Mar 14, 2010
    Brandywine, Marylandistan
    I don't have a Maryland permit, but I do have a Utah one. This time of year with heavier clothes, I carry a G22 all the time. It's all about the holster and how you dress. In warmer months, I'll go down to my G26, and when it's really warm, my S&W Bodyguard. I can almost conceal that in a speedo. :lol2:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I carry my G22 at all times. Then again I don't get a choice in that matter. Given the choice, I'd probably go with a G23 and use the G22 mags.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    On my UT permit I carry in surrounding states with my only pistol, a Springfield XD service model. I've been thinking about trading it in towards a sub-compact model. The service model, 4" barrel is just a bit uncomfortable at first. After a while I guess I get used to it. I use a Galco leather holster which sits very low. This helps to conceal it more. I usually don't have a problem with printing. An unbuttoned collard shirt does a good job concealing. Most people are so brain dead they don't even think to look, never mind guess what it actually is.

I don't understand your comment about magazine capacity. Are you saying it's too big and need to go small mag? Or concerned you might not have enough rounds in an event? You could always keep a spare mag in your pocket.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    When I go home for the winter (PA) I carry a FNP .45 USG. I am a BIG guy so I can hide a Desert Eagle .50 AE.

wolfejp

Apr 8, 2011
    Waldorf
    I’ll have to try that although I didn’t really have a problem with the size of the barrel. I think with the proper sized shirt I won’t have any issues with concealing. I’m sure that there will be some times that I will need the extra space, and in those situations Ill use the Glock 22 Mag’s with an extension. Has anyone used the below.

Attachments

• 816717.jpg
      816717.jpg
      9 KB · Views: 775

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    If glock wanted you to use more rounds in the mag wouldn't they have made them to keep ppl buying there accessories exclusively?!? On my 27 I use the extender but with no extra bullets

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    in the winter(when I can dress around the gun more with jackets), I carry my p99. I'm just able to shoot it better and quicker than my m&p9c that I carry when it's warmer out.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It depends upon the weather, clothes and what kind of concealment garment blends in. Holsters and belts also help in allowing you to carry a big gun comfortably.

In winter months.. I can pack a Glock 34/ HK USP or a 1911 with no issues. heavy guns require a good belt and holster to reduce shifting and having to re-adjust constantly. (This becomes a bad habit and is easy to spot.)

I prefer to carry a G34 or an HK USP 45 for full sized ccw. ( they can withstand moisture/ acidic sweat that would turn my 1911 rusty in hours)

wolfejp

Apr 8, 2011
    Waldorf
    The crossbreed that I’m using fits good but it’s for my Glock 27 I’m looking for a IWB Holster for my Glock 22. I would like one that would cover the barrel more.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I carry a HK USP full size year round here in Florida. In a raven phantom it disappears under a polo shirt. I have to be conscious about the way that I move sometimes (bending mostly) but I feel the trade is worth it. I'm rubbish with those pocket pistols and compacts/sub compacts.

And my philosophy is: carry what you are most comfortable with. YMMV.

wolfejp

Apr 8, 2011
    Waldorf
    I carry a HK USP full size year round here in Florida. In a raven phantom it disappears under a polo shirt. I have to be conscious about the way that I move sometimes (bending mostly) but I feel the trade is worth it. I'm rubbish with those pocket pistols and compacts/sub compacts.

And my philosophy is: carry what you are most comfortable with. YMMV.

I defiantly feel more comfortable having the larger magazine capacity. Physically it feels fine I have no problems with comfort or ability to conceal.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I used to carry larger pistols in winter, or OC, usually a full size XD(m)40 or USP45, but have ended up just carrying my G30SF all the time. With a 10rd mag it fits my hand well, or the 9rd can conceal better in the summer. Even if the bulkier pistols can be concealed, the extra size, weight, and need to train more with them when switching out CCW just removes any benefit of a couple more rounds. Now, if you carry something tiny and singlestack in the summer, I could see the purpouse of going to something larger in winter, especially with gloved hands. While it has obvious advantages, carrying a full size mag just isn't for me, the G30 X-grip is not terribly comfortable, and it makes my pistol feel different with the extra weight down low, not worth 3 more rounds before a reload, in the same way I rarely use the 1/2" shorter 9rd mag, it leaves my pinkie dangling, and slows me down. Best grip I have found for the short GLOCKS are the stock mags with a Peirce +0 floorplate.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I carry my G22 at all times. Then again I don't get a choice in that matter. Given the choice, I'd probably go with a G23 and use the G22 mags.

Glock 23 is a great choice. I've carried my gen3 glock 23 and it's very very handy. Not too big, not too small.

I've also tried a 1911, and a Hi Power and a SAA clone. Hi Power gets the vote for all around versatility.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    I carry two 8 inch .44 smith's with a beater over em. So far no complaints...

Kidding. I do carry a g32 with no problems. I actually prefer a little bit bigger gun. My normal attire is a size xs shirt with outer garment covering the gun and mag pouch.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I tend to agree with Alucard. Here in Maryland, I carry my S&W M&P .45C year round. Having 8 rounds of .45 is enough for personal protection. Due to my bulk, I can"t carry IWB comfortably but a DeSantis pancake works well for concealment. The short mag on the .45C does not print with the right clothes in summer or winter.

wolfejp

Apr 8, 2011
    Waldorf
    I tend to agree with Alucard. Here in Maryland, I carry my S&W M&P .45C year round. Having 8 rounds of .45 is enough for personal protection. Due to my bulk, I can"t carry IWB comfortably but a DeSantis pancake works well for concealment. The short mag on the .45C does not print with the right clothes in summer or winter.

I agree with you the right clothing is defiantly the key. I have recently lost some weight, so all of my clothes are a bit too big for me. It works out perfectly it’s just enough room for my Glock 22 with no printing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom