• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It'd probably be beneficial, but I'm sure Lord Chad may be able to come up with something, time to go safe-diving...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    also i guess i should have asked this before hand but none of us yet have an AR would we need to in order to partake in the class

I need to find a suitable location to run the class. I dont want class sizes larger then 8 at a time. SO far the pricing would be $40 cash for MDS Members but that s if I get a place for low cost. Ill be conducting the calss in Glen Burnie, MD on a Friday Evening or Saturday Evening. I want a casual setup where people can eat and drink if they wish to do so(Non Alcoholic Beverages) and get their moneys worth.

There will be a few AR's.Ill bring a 16" Carbine, and 20" Rifle. These will be the class hosts that will be torn down and reassembled. People are welcome to bring their AR's to look at while im instructing, but NO AMMO IS ALLOWED.

There will also be a Short Barreled Rifle and a HBAR target Model along with some suppressors to show the class.

I want the class to be informative and I want to keep it focused so people dont leave confused. I welcome people to take notes but I dont wish to be video taped or put on youtube (At the moment at least)

Heres a rundown of what I will cover:

Nomenclature
    Field Stripping
    Cleaning and Lube/Recommended Lube and Cleaning Products
    Spare Parts
    Maintenance Tools and Build Tools
    Gunsmithing and Tuning
    Clearing Stuck Rounds
    How The Direct Impingement System Works, its Benefits and Tradeoffs.
    Gas Piston AR’s and Proper Setup (Buffer Tubes/Buffers/Carriers)
    Lower Receivers/Alloys/Features (BHO,Mag Wells,Tension Screws, Fences)/Pin Holes/Wedges
    Triggers/Single Stage/2 Stage/Adjustable/Notched/Springs/Disconnector Damage and Notches/KNS Pins
    Buffer Tubes/Types/Castle Nut Staking/Buffers/Springs/Sling Mounts/Damage
    Stocks/Types/Features
    Upper Receivers/Alloys/Types/Ramps/Pin Holes/Monolithic Uppers/Barrel Nut Torque Specs/Alignment
    Bolt Carrier Types/MPI/Shot Peened/Coatings/Gas Rings/Extractor Upgrades/Torque Specs/Staking
    Gas Blocks/Front Sight Bases/Shaving/Pinning/Taper Pinning/Clamped/Set Screws)
    5.55 vs. .223 vs. Wylde Chambers and Barrel Twist and Ammo Guidelines/ Steel Cased Ammo and its Effects
    Gas Ports/Gas Tubes/Gas System Length/Dwell Time/Alignment
    Barrel Contours and Weights/Steels/Fluting/Dimpling/Twist Rates/Rifling Types/Chrome Lining/Nitriding/Ramps/Lengths/Threads/Pinning
    Muzzle Devices/Comps/Breaks/Flash Hiders and Suppressor Mounts
    Handguards/Rail Systems/Free Floating/Rail Covers/Heat Dissipation and Buildup
    Sights/Backup Iron Sights
    Optics/Scopes/Red Dots/Mounts/Quick Release/Offset Mounts/Height Over Bore
    Forward Grips
    Suppressors and Setup/Effects
    Magazines/Drums
    .22 Conversions and Alternative Caliber Options

I will not get into Slings and Apparel/Gear. It’s best to take a Carbine Class locally or buy some Magpul AR Carbine Videos to get some ideas. I will not get into reloading or specific of ammo such as Terminal Ballistics, Ammo Velocities, and Alternative Caliber Effectiveness.

I will not go into the “Tier” of AR Manufacturers. I will simply instruct what features and parts a good gun should have and leave it at that.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Barrel length, carbine - 16", rifle - 20", carbine - collapsible stock, rifle - fixed stock. Probably more to it also, but that's the most obvious to newbie's.
    Lower reciever's are identical, Upper reciever's with the exception of handguard length and barrel length are for the most part the same.

If I missed something I'm sure Clandestine will be able to fill in the gaps, when in doubt, consult Clandestine.

There are no stupid questions when new to a platform, IMO.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Barrel length, carbine - 16", rifle - 20", carbine - collapsible stock, rifle - fixed stock. Probably more to it also, but that's the most obvious to newbie's.
    Lower reciever's are identical, Upper reciever's with the exception of handguard length and barrel length are for the most part the same.

If I missed something I'm sure Clandestine will be able to fill in the gaps, when in doubt, consult Clandestine.

There are no stupid questions when new to a platform, IMO.

Well said.

The heart of the gun is thre same, basically the buttstock and barrel length determine wether the gun is a Pistol, Carbine, Rifle, or Match Gun. A Match AR can be called HBARS (Heavy Barrel), DMR's (Designated Marksman Rifle), Sniper Rifle (A 5.56 AR is NOT considered a true sniper rifle due to the caliber)

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    ok two questions that i havent read about yet and are irritating me by not knowing the answers. what is hbar and what is piston upper

Piston is a waste of money. H bar will usually let you extract a little more accuracy from the gun. Being a larger stiffer barrel it is less prone to flex for the easiest explanation.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    To take apart and put together an ar requires a Vise, Receiver Clamshell Blocks, Mag Well Block, Roll Pin Punche Set, Castle Nut Tool (Only for Carbines), Delta Ring/BarrelNut Tool, Rail Tool (If you have a Rail). Just the tools can set you back a couple hundred dollars.

If theres enough demand (Several People) I can offer a full class on takedown, assembly, gunsmithing, modifications, accessories, magazines, cleaning, and maintenance on the AR platform.

I would need about 5 people to make it worth the time to do a class.

Put me on your short list. I would be int in that class depending how much and when.$40 is more than reasonable to me. And Fri or St nite works as well.

Last edited:

mdshooterguy2820

Aug 26, 2011
    Joppa, MD
    To take apart and put together an ar requires a Vise, Receiver Clamshell Blocks, Mag Well Block, Roll Pin Punche Set, Castle Nut Tool (Only for Carbines), Delta Ring/BarrelNut Tool, Rail Tool (If you have a Rail). Just the tools can set you back a couple hundred dollars.

If theres enough demand (Several People) I can offer a full class on takedown, assembly, gunsmithing, modifications, accessories, magazines, cleaning, and maintenance on the AR platform.

I would need about 5 people to make it worth the time to do a class.

I'm in!!! My next purchase will be an AR. I've started reading more and more about them. My problem isn't that the info isn't available, it's that there is so much of it and trying to get some help weeding through would be great!!!

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    Does anyone know if you can customize a rifle with emblems? My wife is an Eagles fan :shrug: , and I thought it would be nice to buy/build her an AR with Eagles colors and their emblem on it for Christmas.

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    Does anyone know if you can customize a rifle with emblems? My wife is an Eagles fan :shrug: , and I thought it would be nice to buy/build her an AR with Eagles colors and their emblem on it for Christmas.

that would be awesome but why waste such an idea on a team like the eagles. lol

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Put me on your short list. I would be int in that class depending how much and when.$40 is more than reasonable to me. And Fri or St nite works as well.

I'm in!!! My next purchase will be an AR. I've started reading more and more about them. My problem isn't that the info isn't available, it's that there is so much of it and trying to get some help weeding through would be great!!!

Make a post here if you can to keep all interested parties in one place. Im putting together documentation and class demo's now.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=66762

Thanks for your interest fellas.

K-9

Apr 12, 2011
    Dumbdalk!
    I was in the same boat when I started my first build 18 months ago. First thing I did was search for a stripped lower for under $100. Spikes Tactical had one on sale for $80 shipped, (figure $20 for FFL paperwork). Next thing I did was purchase a lower parts kit from Brownells, $60 (I think it was a DPMS parts kit). I purchased a complete Bolt Carrier Group for $125 from GunBroker.com. I bought a flat top upper receiver at a gun show for $75, (It came with the charging handle and dust cover installed). I bought a 16" 1x8 RH twist HBAR barrel with gas tube and front sight post for $150 from Gunbroker.com. I took all my pieces that I had to a local gun store (Gun Connection) and asked Dan if he would show me how to assemble it. (You'll need some armorers tools even if people tell you, you dont) We went through what I had and grabbed some furniture off the shelves and he showed me in about 45 mins how to put one together. I think I spent another $200 or so at his shop that day on miscellaneous items. If you want some help pricing out something or wondering where the best deals are, PM me. We could build you one for about $650 give or take and them add some decent optics, that will put you at $1000. Your still gonna need magazines and ammo. I love PMAGs from Magpul and ammo from LuckyGunner.com. Anyway, good luck whatever you choose to do :)

Forest

The AR guy
    Jul 13, 2011

Yes there are several places that will laser etch any design you like on the magazine well.
    Orion for example

You can also get the dust cover engraved if you want (so when it pops open it says "Go Eagles" or some such).

Cavalry Manufacturing produces furnature in a variety of colors. My daughter has a pink set stored away for when she's older, and I'm using some of their OD furnature on my wife's carbine.

Hdgmedic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2011
    Yes there are several places that will laser etch any design you like on the magazine well.
    Orion for example

You can also get the dust cover engraved if you want (so when it pops open it says "Go Eagles" or some such).

Cavalry Manufacturing produces furnature in a variety of colors. My daughter has a pink set stored away for when she's older, and I'm using some of their OD furnature on my wife's carbine.
    Thanks!! Perhaps i can go for the emblem on the receiver and then have the gun coated with the colors. I will definitely post pics if I can work it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom