• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    Smart, but out of character.

Not out of character at all. With the case ending here, and the law that Caetano was charged under remaining on the books, the criminals working for that institution will continue to imprison their citizens for exercising a fundamental right. And lets face it, with all the sheeple living in Masshole, it'll be quite some time to get another stun gun case before the USSC. If I were Caetano, I'd open carry a stun gun everywhere I went once they drop all the charges.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    Not out of character at all. With the case ending here, and the law that Caetano was charged under remaining on the books, the criminals working for that institution will continue to imprison their citizens for exercising a fundamental right. And lets face it, with all the sheeple living in Masshole, it'll be quite some time to get another stun gun case before the USSC. If I were Caetano, I'd open carry a stun gun everywhere I went once they drop all the charges.

You missed the point. They won't back down at all. They'll bend over backwards to find a constitutional justification for keeping the blanket ban in place.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    New Entry: 06/29/2016 #26 JOINT STATUS LETTER and Suggestion of Mootness from Melissa Weisgold Johnsen (Mass Attorney), A.D.A.and Benjamin Keehn(Caetano Attorney), Esquire. See status on file.

Not sure where the file can be retrieved. "Suggestion of Mootness"? I would think all charges would need to be dropped, no?

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    New Entry: 06/29/2016 #26 JOINT STATUS LETTER and Suggestion of Mootness from Melissa Weisgold Johnsen (Mass Attorney), A.D.A.and Benjamin Keehn(Caetano Attorney), Esquire. See status on file.

Not sure where the file can be retrieved. "Suggestion of Mootness"? I would think all charges would need to be dropped, no?

Charges were dropped. The SJC will not be rehearing the case. The fate of Massachusetts's stun gun ban is still in limbo.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Sounds like you guys need to file a new case in federal court. Sounds like some easy attonrey fees

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    The Kolbe en banc panel's weasel-wording around the per curiam should be interesting reading.

I think they'll probably try to tie the AR-15 to the M-16, using the line about M-16s and "the like", using that to eradicate any other points that help us, such as the fact there are far more AR-15s in circulation than stun guns.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    June 1st, 2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 777GSOTB View Post

You missed the point. They won't back down at all. They'll bend over backwards to find a constitutional justification for keeping the blanket ban in place.

Actually my point was dead on, they did exactly what I suspected they would do.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Originally Posted by 777GSOTB View Post

Actually my point was dead on, they did exactly what I suspected they would do.

Couldn't they just file a civil case challenging the ban? I'm sure there's someone in Mass that might want a stun gun (why not have Caetano again)? Probably one of the rare times you file a 2A case and your odds are overwhelming.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014

Couldn't they just file a civil case challenging the ban? I'm sure there's someone in Mass that might want a stun gun (why not have Caetano again)? Probably one of the rare times you file a 2A case and your odds are overwhelming.

A civil case wasn't enough to get Friedman's cert approval. Though it was for 2 justices, I believe the others want an injury under the right. So, it's up in the air here also. An actual damage is an absolute though and if I were still living back there, I would strap one on in a heart beat...Overwhelming for the win IMHO.

Oooops, I forgot we don't have #9 yet...Standing down...out.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012
    So I guess they'll try to leave the ban on the books, harass anyone arrested, and then fold when it gets to court?
    Pending criminal cases for stun gun possession were dropped almost as quickly the per curiam decision came down. Some, if not all, police department have stopped trying to enforce it.

And that may very well happen. I do know that someone was putting together a civil challenge a while ago. That effort was put on ice when Caetano showed up. I'm not sure if that civil challenge will be resurrected or even if it got past the idea state.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Pending criminal cases for stun gun possession were dropped almost as quickly the per curiam decision came down. Some, if not all, police department have stopped trying to enforce it.

And that may very well happen. I do know that someone was putting together a civil challenge a while ago. That effort was put on ice when Caetano showed up. I'm not sure if that civil challenge will be resurrected or even if it got past the idea state.

There are other states & a few localities with bans as well: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...nts-rights/states-requiring-a-stun-gun-permit

SAF & the NRA may want to think about going after these to try to get some momentum (and maybe $$) since for the most part they've been completely shut down after McDonald.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    There are other states & a few localities with bans as well: http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.co...nts-rights/states-requiring-a-stun-gun-permit

SAF & the NRA may want to think about going after these to try to get some momentum (and maybe $$) since for the most part they've been completely shut down after McDonald.

Someone else already has one planned in D.C. That should get filed soon.

I've got one on appeal in Hawaii and I am about to file one in New Jersey.

SAF should file some though just like they do with the alien cases. Its the easiest case out there right now.

Knuckle Dragger

May 7, 2012

SAF should file some though just like they do with the alien cases. Its the easiest case out there right now.
    Not only that, a successful stun gun case could be very helpful in overturning a local AWB. The rational offered by the SJC and rejected by SCOTUS for upholding the Massachusetts stun gun ban is very similar to that used for upholding AWBs.

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014

Wolfwood, will you be asking for a license to carry a stun gun in any of your cases? Since stun guns are not a deadly instrument on the level of a firearm, wouldn't concealed carry of a stun gun be a protected right?

777GSOTB

Mar 23, 2014
    Not only that, a successful stun gun case could be very helpful in overturning a local AWB. The rational offered by the SJC and rejected by SCOTUS for upholding the Massachusetts stun gun ban is very similar to that used for upholding AWBs.

If that were the case, wouldn't they have taken Friedman v Highland Park? If they take a civil case on the stun gun issue, scariness of the weapon must be the deciding factor.

wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    Wolfwood, will you be asking for a license to carry a stun gun in any of your cases? Since stun guns are not a deadly instrument on the level of a firearm, wouldn't concealed carry of a stun gun be a protected right?

It would fall under the same analysis as a handgun. So the same open/concealed argument would apply to it.

In Hawaii we just challenged the inside the home ban on stun guns. I really don't know what we are going to do in NJ yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom