• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Nooooooo!!!!!! So I went to the shop today to handle the Ruger Single Six, I liked it and I was planning to think about it over the weekend then put a deposit on a brand new one monday.

And then something caught my eye in the used case. A Colt Police revolver in ".32 Police" as it says on the tag (not sure if they mean .32 S&W Long, .32-20, or .32 Colt). It was a nickel one, with about 50% of the finish left and some pretty bad chips, but it was also marked at $280. I don't typically care for guns I would look at more than shoot, but dammit it's a real .32 Colt that's banged up enough enough that it will never be a collector piece and I could justify refinishing it at that price!:mad54:

It will never be a collector's gun with that finish and will never be a heavy shooter because of the semi-oddball caliber, but for $280 should I just pick it up for the hell of it? I mean there's only one of these and I can order a brand new Ruger next month. The price is right and what are the chances of finding another .32 Colt Police?

I don't know why, but I have always had a thing for .32 handguns (probably because my first was a .32ACP). They almost seem to be forgotten oddballs at this point but are so much fun to shoot!

EDIT: I think I'm going to stop by tomorrow and figure out exactly what kind of .32 it shoots. If it's .32 S&W Long I'd be even more interested as the Fiocchi ammo is almost as cheap as 9mm online, so with a good cleaning it might be a fun little shooter.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Ain't nuthin wrong with a .32 gun....remember Bad Bad Leroy Brown carried one in his pocket for fun.....

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Ain't nuthin wrong with a .32 gun....remember Bad Bad Leroy Brown carried one in his pocket for fun.....

Would one with a banged up nickel finish for $280 be a worthwhile purchase, though? I really had a .22 revolver in mind but I'm also not one to walk away from a classic revolver if it's worth buying.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Nobody here is going to tell you not to buy a gun.

Oh this is so true, I can't make it Ruger Single Six vs Colt Police .32 because they are two totally different animals. And yet, that's kind of what it is. I think if I pick up the brand new Ruger I might be kicking myself down the road, because I can buy one of those 12 months out of the year but a Colt Police for $280 is an entirely different story.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Went by the place today and they are holding the Colt for me (didn't realize my license expired 3 days ago).

I have a bit of a favor to ask, I was wondering if anybody could help me with some history on it. The serial is 739XX amd it is marked "D. P. D. 849" on it. I think ther serial makes it a pretty early model and the markings probably show it was a police gun.

Enzo_Guy

Jul 13, 2011
    Houston, TX
    If it is a Police Positive, that serial dates it to 1909. Awesome :thumbsup:

Yes, I'm 99% sure it is a Police Positive. I don't know of any other Police model that Colt made in .32 S&W. It has a smooth topstrap.

I just spotted a small detail I overlooked. I'm purchasing a Colt Police Positive .32 that is nickel with a 4" barrel. All I'm missing is the ivory grips!
    600px-Kersey_revolver2.jpg

My uncle had a Wildey that my aunt sold after he passed for $1000! I wanted to buy that gun but was never given the opportunity.:mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom