• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    There are probably some folks in Maryland who bought a new Colt 6721 HBAR carbine in the last year and don't know that they actually have a Colt 6920 lower underneath their 6721 HBAR barrel.

The standard Colt 6920 has the "govt. cut" barrel that has been banned from purchase in MD since 2013.

However, this past year or so, Colt used 6920 lowers to fulfill the last production orders for HBAR 6721s, when their decision to discontinue the HBAR left them without enough lowers.

It's perfectly legal to have this factory "mix-master" 6920 lower and 6721, and to sell the post 2013 6920 lowers FTF in the same manner as you would sell a 6721 lower.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but 6920 lowers that were bought as regulated firearms pre-2013 are still regulated, and cannot be sold in Maryland to anyone other than an FFL, correct?

And, 6920 lowers that were acquired since 2013 just as a lower, or as part of a new Colt 6721 "hybrid" are good to be sold, correct?

For those that want to check if the Colt HBAR rifle that they bought in the last year is a hybrid or not, just check the serial number. The traditional Colt HBARS will have serial numbers starting with LBD, with the hybrid 6920/6721 HBARS having serial numbers starting with LE.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Why would the lower matter?
    Nothing in the law references the lower, and there is no difference in the makeup of the lowers.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Most everyone who has a Colt 6920 lower has it as part of a pre-2013 purchase, which was registered with the handgun paperwork and 7 day wait.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Folks who moved into Maryland pre-2013 with their rifles may be a different matter. I don't keep up with that stuff because I have my hands full with the MD resident regs.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    If i understand correctly Bushmaster is the only lower You cant possess due to the name Bushmaster since its banned by name!

That's a very specific Bushmaster Sporter model.

Still waiting for one of our resident experts to clear this up, so until then proceed with caution.

I am guessing this 6920 lower the OP speaks of is being transferred in by FFL from another state? In that case, good to go.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I found a good deal on a Colt LE6920 lower that is marked “M4 Carbine”. I saw the Colt LE6920 on the banned list, so I wasn’t sure.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    If i understand correctly Bushmaster is the only lower You cant possess due to the name Bushmaster since its banned by name!

There are Many Bushmaster brand lowers in MD bought before 13. Fine to possess. The banned Bushmaster is a specific rifle named as such. I don't even think it was manufactured by Bushmaster. Looks like a ugly weird bull pup. Goes back to the old AWB's written and copied by MD

Maryland decided anything Bushmaster was super deadly in their interpretation of the vague laws and no bushmasters have been sold since.

There should be a good write up on here with the specifics.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The "Bushmaster that was banned was strange looking bullpup design from the 1980s , mfg by Gwinn Firearms Inc . It had a hybred piston system. No connection to AR-15 design or interchangability. No connection to modern Bushmaster company.

Because MSP said so with no basis , but they're MSP .

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    There are Many Bushmaster brand lowers in MD bought before 13. Fine to possess. The banned Bushmaster is a specific rifle named as such. I don't even think it was manufactured by Bushmaster. Looks like a ugly weird bull pup. Goes back to the old AWB's written and copied by MD

Maryland decided anything Bushmaster was super deadly in their interpretation of the vague laws and no bushmasters have been sold since.

There should be a good write up on here with the specifics.

Obviously i meant possession post oct2013 in MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom