• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a Colt 6721 that will not cycle PMC bronze the LWRC M6A2 and the Bushmaster run it just fine . The Colt will cycle anything else I put in it but with the PMC bronze it will eject but not come back far enough to strip a round out of the magazine . I put new gas rings on it even though the felt fine and the gaps were staggered , Im thinking get a lighter buffer .

I read a few different places that the PMC bronze is loaded a little light . Anyone else have any issues with it ?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Common problem. First a lighter Buffer, then a lighter Recoil Spring. The black ones JoeBob sells are about 10% lighter than Colt Factory Buffer Springs.

If that don't work then it could be an issue with the Gas Key or worse off the Gas Port is just too small.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Common problem. First a lighter Buffer, then a lighter Recoil Spring. The black ones JoeBob sells are about 10% lighter than Colt Factory Buffer Springs.

If that don't work then it could be an issue with the Gas Key or worse off the Gas Port is just too small.

Between playing with the 3 rifles , the buffer in the Colt definitely has more resistance then the LWRC and BM . Picked this one up for my son so I want to get it running right for him .

Looks like I'm off to JoeBob's to see if he has any in stock .

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Between playing with the 3 rifles , the buffer in the Colt definitely has more resistance then the LWRC and BM . Picked this one up for my son so I want to get it running right for him .

Looks like I'm off to JoeBob's to see if he has any in stock .

If you can pull a BCG from another proven AR and try it. Just to eliminate possible BCG Issues.

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    I have a 6721 and some PMC bronze but haven't run that through yet. Will try and see if I have the same experience. Thanks all for the advice in the event I need it as well.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    my RRA came with a spring that was too heavy to run the lower powered rounds. swapped it out for the brownells replacement spring and a 9mmm buffer. works great now

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    AFAIK, Colt buffer springs are primarily made for 5.56 pressure loads and are a bit heavier than some other manufacturer's buffer springs. The heavier spring helps keep the gun from getting "beaten up" from 5.56 loads, especially under heavy rapidfire and/or full auto conditions. Using the lighter spring with full power 5.56 will cause the gun to suffer unnecessary abuse internally from the BCG being slammed to the rear. If you want to run lighter loads, the lighter spring will be fine as Chad has indicated. But if you want to run full power 5.56 again, be sure to go back to the heavier spring as it will absorb the shock and prevent the unnecessary amount of slam.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have a spikes that does not like PMC bronze, so far the only ammo it won't take. From what I understand PMC bronze is a little underpowered and can cause cycling issues.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Just change your buffer out. You're Colt probably has a H2 or H3 buffer and the Bushmaster probably has a Carbine buffer. I almost promise you that if you swap the buffer out of your Bushmaster and into your Colt, the Colt will cycle all of the low powered crap your Bushmaster has been cycling.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I have a spikes that does not like PMC bronze, so far the only ammo it won't take. From what I understand PMC bronze is a little underpowered and can cause cycling issues.

Does your Spikes have one of their T2 buffers in it? Check the buffer and if it says T2, H2 or H3, then just swap it out for a carbine buffer and it should cycle lower powered loads.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I took the upper and another proven AR to the range today . The other AR runs them fine so I swapped uppers and the Colt upper still would not run them . I swapped the BCG out of the proven upper and into the Colt upper and it ran them just fine .

So it is time to look at the BCG , it already has new gas rings in it (brownell's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom