• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville
    Hello,

Anybody have any suggestions on a coach gun?

I like the Cimarron 1878 Coach Gun. It's more expensive then some of the others but seems to be better built.

What are your thoughts?

Mark T.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    PM Midcounty, he might still have one or two in his shop

They're IACs

SxS Twins (1) (Large).JPG

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have a Stoeger in matte nickel that I like. I did initially have a problem with light primer strikes on one barrel but it was fixed under warranty.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_guns.php

If you are looking for cowboy action realism, this isn't the way you want to go, but they have some other nice options if that is the case. Their blued coach gun supreme I have inspected first hand and it is very nice.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_gun_supreme.php

They even have a tactical version which is called the double defense, which I find ludicrous yet awesome all at the same time

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I have a Stoeger in matte nickel that I like. I did initially have a problem with light primer strikes on one barrel but it was fixed under warranty.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_guns.php

If you are looking for cowboy action realism, this isn't the way you want to go, but they have some other nice options if that is the case. Their blued coach gun supreme I have inspected first hand and it is very nice.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_coach_gun_supreme.php

They even have a tactical version which is called the double defense, which I find ludicrous yet awesome all at the same time

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php

I had light primer strikes with my Stoeger as well...with either barrel happened about 10-20% of the time only with Remington shells (birdshot and buckshot). When I called they blamed it on the ammo and didn't want to help.

I haven't had any problems using other ammo (Federal birdshot from Wal Mart mostly), but I haven't been able to test that extensively either. I only use it for sporting clays anyway, but I'd be cautious about buying anything else from them.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Hello,

Anybody have any suggestions on a coach gun?

I like the Cimarron 1878 Coach Gun. It's more expensive then some of the others but seems to be better built.

What are your thoughts?

Mark T.

If you're looking for a quality piece, I'd go with the Cimarron or the CZ version; I've seen them both, and they're both pretty nice.

main369_png_637x200_q85.png

I'd love a CZ Hammer Classic. 30" barrels, double hammers, case-hardened finish... very classy. If it was easier to find, I wouldn't be able to resist.

empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville
    Thanks all for the great responces.

BenL
    I'd love to get a CZ but at an MSRP of over $900. It's out of my price range.:sad20:

I think I'll go with the Cimarron. Still not cheap but a good compromise between price and quality.

Take care.

Mark T.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    IAC is quite roughly build but can do the job. Stoeger is the inexpensive standard but does not come with external hammers, Cimarron and CZ are luxus.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I had a blued Stoeger....It was a nice gun, sold it I just didn't have a use for it when I came across it. Only bought it as the price was right at the time.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I guess I'm just not a fan of cheap guns. I've played with a Stoeger, and the one I handled was quite rough. When I purchase guns, they're going to be used, and I expect them to last a very long time- the Stoeger just didn't strike me as a "last-a-lifetime-of-hard-use" gun.

ETA: Stoeger makes a "tacticool" double barrel, for dispensing justice Road Warrior style.

DoubleDefense_420.jpg

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I would have to respectfully disagree with those that are downplaying the quality and durability of the Stoeger. As I stated, I did have a problem with mine, but it was fixed under warranty and as someone else suggested may have had more to do with choice of ammo.

For an experts opinion, I can think of at least two times these have been reviewed by Gun Tests in the last few years and they were given excellent marks in both cases. If you are on a budget, I think it is a great buy.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Of those mentioned, the Cimmaron (if made by Uberti) is the better gun by far. The CZ is made in Turkey by Huglu. It might be the better "looking" gun, but their track record has been pretty dismal. I don't know how the Uberti guns hold their value, but the CZ Huglu is pretty dismal in that respect too.

The Stoeger's reputation speaks for itself. It might look good hanging on the wall, but don't shoot it too often unless you are a gunsmith. The Russian made Baikal is probably the best of the cheap hammerguns, if you can find one.

Today's real quality Hammerguns are not the short coach guns made famous by some B Movie. They are sporters and costly. The decent ones begin in the $2500+ range. Most are made in Italy. You "might" find a used Bernadelli hammergun in the $1500 range.

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    I think I'm going to go with the nickel version Stoeger. I will probably get one with interchangeable choke tubes though. The price is right for me.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Find a Stevens 311 and have a good smith cut it down to 18.5. It's durable as hell and will last an eternity and the gun and the cutting of the barrels combined is less than $400

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Unless you shoot Cowboy stuff, what would you do with a coach gun? If it's for HD, wouldn't you want something that's reliable? If it's for HD and you want to keep the cost down, get the Baikal or as august1410 said, get a Stevens and cut it down (or a Fox Model B).

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Unless you shoot Cowboy stuff, what would you do with a coach gun? If it's for HD, wouldn't you want something that's reliable? If it's for HD and you want to keep the cost down, get the Baikal or as august1410 said, get a Stevens and cut it down (or a Fox Model B).

It's for his part time job riding shotgun on stagecoaches.

I picked up a Baikal a couple years ago on a whim, just to have a coach gun. Co-worker of mine wanted to sell his AR, so the Baikal ended up as part of my payment. He has a 12 year old daughter, so he's planning on keeping it around for when she starts dating.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Yeah, the boyfriend deterent thing is about the only good use for a coachgun these days. But a 1911 also works well...... along with telling Don Juan that you just hid a Bird Dog in hid car.

empty5853

Aug 22, 2007
    Mechanicsville

Come on guys. Do we REALLY need a reason to buy another gun ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom