• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I just can't quite decide whether to order an HRA Service Grade or a Service Grade Special.

Is the SGS really worth over 50% more than the SG? Seems I could buy three SGs, put a CMP walnut stock on the best one, and sell the others for $800 each.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    My SGS was like new looked like it had been cycled and maybe proof fired but that's it. Metal was in amazing conditon.

Then again I have been able to hand select sg that were in very very good condition as well.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Is the SGS really worth over 50% more than the SG? Seems I could buy three SGs, put a CMP walnut stock on the best one, and sell the others for $800 each.
    SGS is supposed to look like a new gun, whereas, it's kind of a crap-shoot for the SG. You may get lucky or you may not. Normally, I'd be more interested in collectilibity and go for a collector's grade, but, while I like the Garand it isn't my fav, so I couldn't rationalize that type of expenditure. From what I've seen, the SGS is the perfect option for a working shooter with some history behind it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Is it worth a 50% mark up?

It seems there is very little room for appreciation of value. If down the road I decide to re-sell, will I even get my $974.95 back on the SGS (forget inflation)?

Meanwhile, since the SGS doesn't seem to hold its value as an investment, is it a better shooter? I doubt it, except on an individual basis. The Special with the Criterion barrel, perhaps, but I don't see why the SGS should be.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Is the 50% markup worth it? It was for me.
    The metal on an SGS is supposed to be in "excellent" condition, which should make it a better shooter than an SG. It should also help to make the overall rifle display better.
    I considered the Criterion barrel option, but I really wanted the functional parts of the rifle to be OEM. I also did alot of vacillating before I sent the order in.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    March 17th, 2014, 01:58 PM I mailed in my paperwork about a week or two ago for an SGS and just got the STFU email.

March 28. I have it set up so my credit card company emails me a few days after each charge is made. I just got one for a > $900 charge from CIVILIAN MARKMANSHIP P. I checked estore and it said the order date is 03/26/2014

I also have an order for some cans of this (thanks for the head's up btw to buy this) 4C3006X000-200P .30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 rds loose in .30 cal can

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I have it set up so my credit card company emails me a few days after each charge is made. I just got one for a > $900 charge from CIVILIAN MARKMANSHIP P. I checked estore and it said the order date is 03/26/2014
    You're just days away.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    March 28. I have it set up so my credit card company emails me a few days after each charge is made. I just got one for a > $900 charge from CIVILIAN MARKMANSHIP P. I checked estore and it said the order date is 03/26/2014

I also have an order for some cans of this (thanks for the head's up btw to buy this) 4C3006X000-200P .30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 rds loose in .30 cal can

What type of rifle did you order?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Is it worth a 50% mark up?

It seems there is very little room for appreciation of value. If down the road I decide to re-sell, will I even get my $974.95 back on the SGS (forget inflation)?

Meanwhile, since the SGS doesn't seem to hold its value as an investment, is it a better shooter? I doubt it, except on an individual basis. The Special with the Criterion barrel, perhaps, but I don't see why the SGS should be.

Service grade special plus decent HRA stock is CMP collector grade rifle. That's 1500 minimum.

The fact that mine shoots like a dream (especially 168's) may temper my opinion. Then again, the one I sold to rich can't shoot 168's but is a match winner with hxp....My HRA field grades all shoot really well, but I've never fired my collector grade- and it's got an LMR. There may be a pattern there.....

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    March 28. ... I just got ... a > $900 charge from CIVILIAN MARKMANSHIP P. I checked estore and it said the order date is 03/26/2014...

Today, April 16, I got a large rectangular box from CMP. Unopened thus far due to work call with hands on the keyboard.

RM1HRASSP M1 Garand HRA Service grade Special $950.00

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Today, April 16, I got a large rectangular box from CMP. Unopened thus far due to work call with hands on the keyboard.

RM1HRASSP M1 Garand HRA Service grade Special $950.00

Good for you! The stores are all out, wish id had the money to get another before that ran out :( My SGS looks unissued and if I remember right your first SGS look damn close to unissued.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I also got tracking numbers for 4C3006X000-200P .30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 rds loose in .30 cal can

Funny that the HRA SGS order doesn't show a tracking number (although I have it.)

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Do they let you know when the move your order to the estore? When they charge your card?

My credit got charged some days back for the Rifle and Ammo. I got tracking numbers for the ammo but not the rifle, but the rifle is here nonetheless.

Dates re the rifle are a handful of posts back. See the post dated March 28th, 2014, 10:36 AM

My 3 recent emails are:
    Apr 15 30-06 Ammo Shipped
    Mar 23 30-06 Ammo eStore Order (April 11 credit card charged. April 18 Ammo arrived)
    Mar 17 DBU Email referring in subject to 3/3 order received (March 26 credit card charged. Rifle arrived April 16)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom