• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    My M1 Garand finally arrived from CMP. It is a Service Grade Springfield Special. When I got it last week, it was packed so full of cosmoline it took forever to get it clean. I'm waiting for the Greek ammo to arrive so I can test it out.

M1.jpg

(Sorry about the lack of a foot. I wasn't allowed to stand on the table :lol2:)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Way to go oldsarge! Nice Garand :thumbsup: I don't think I've seen an SG Springfield from CPM lately that hasn't been nice.

The Greek ammo is worth the wait too. I have more on the BWTOH being delivered tomorrow. :innocent0

olddawg

Feb 3, 2011
    Harford County
    What no feets! Very unusual for a Southern Md. boy. I never knew a kitchen table to stop ya'll before. That sir is a beautiful rifle. Congrats. Let us know how she shoots. Is the USGI wood? Looks like new....

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    What no feets! Very unusual for a Southern Md. boy. I never knew a kitchen table to stop ya'll before. That sir is a beautiful rifle. Congrats. Let us know how she shoots. Is the USGI wood? Looks like new....

Its USGI wood but it is new USGI wood. (no cartouches except CMP)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What a looker... Yes, the Service Grade Specials are gorgeous. On the Springfields I think it's a good decision, but on my HRA rifles, what I got was unbelievable for $595 regular service grade. I'm betting that's the $895 Springfield Service Grade Special though... Awesome.

The difference in price is in some of the details, the SSGS has a USGI stock that's new, where as you may or may not get new wood on the standard Service Grade.

Mark

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but that's not USGI wood. It's new production walnut that CPM has made for them by either Boyds or Dupage. That's why it has the CPM cartouche on it. Still, all in all it's a helluva' deal!

That makes sense. When I asked them about the wood they said it was unissued and unmarked from their stock. I guess they ment it was bought for the build.

I innitially was just going to get a service grade for around $495 -$595 but I did a small job for a friend on his house and the extra funds were put to good use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom