CLEO Signature by anyone other than MSP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I've heard some people say only the MSP can sign off as CLEO in MD for NFA purchases. Has anyone tried to get a signature from a different qualified individual and did the ATF have an issue with that person's signature?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I've heard some people say only the MSP can sign off as CLEO in MD for NFA purchases. Has anyone tried to get a signature from a different qualified individual and did the ATF have an issue with that person's signature?

there are numerous people allowed to sign the form...the problem is getting them to sign....i ran into this where the sherrif would not sign the form...because he didnt feel it was needed! many that are allowed to sign thing its a liability against them when in fact it is not...I also had a captain in the military that was allowed to sign but didnt because i didnt live on base...i did end up getting it finally but it was a long process...good luck with your signature

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Just wondering why you would go another route since the MSP has basically agreed to sign off with no whining?

ATF should not have any issue, their rules saw any CLEO, no special section about MD and only the state police.

I personally would love someone to ask the state AG or county prosecutor to sign off, just to see the response.

If you are worried about time frame, don't forget about a trust.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I'm currently waiting for MSP to sign off on two Form 1s (which has been a total debacle, see below) and I'll go to them for the two Form 4s I'm planning for this year.

So the debacle:
    CJIS changed from the orange to purple cards back in November, but I had already been printed and submitted my cards to the firearms branch. When they arrived at CJIS, apparently they went into the shredder with no feedback to the firearms branch saying they were destroyed because they were the wrong color. So I called to check status at 60 days and was told to not call until 90-120 days. At 90 I called and they said to check with CJIS to see why they had not sent the firearms branch a go/no-go on my prints. CJIS said the prints never went into their system, firearms branch said they must've been destroyed during the color change and to submit new ones. So I took off work, got printed for all of this year's anticipated transactions and FL CCW renewal, and mailed in the new CJIS card. Now here I am, 100+ days later after the original submission wondering if I'll get to chop the barrels on my guns before Labor Day.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    MSP is not the only one that can sign off.

I have had several customers in Carroll County that have had thier sherriff sign off on thier forms and they have all went through w/o a problem.

See if the Harford County Sherriff's office will help you out.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Is there any MD paperwork that has to be submitted to MSP or just the one signature by the CLEO for the ATF paperwork?

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Out here on the Eastern Shore our Sheriffs believe in the Second Amendment and sign off on Form 4's. It's like a completely different state over here.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    MSP is not the only one that can sign off.

I have had several customers in Carroll County that have had thier sherriff sign off on thier forms and they have all went through w/o a problem.

See if the Harford County Sherriff's office will help you out.

Whoa, this means Tregonning can sign these..*filled with glee*

Marshallbrew

Jan 12, 2009
    Westminster, MD
    I have to say I have not had any problems with MSP and my NFA forms. I just take them right down to MSP in Pikesville off of Sudbrook Rd, a couple of weeks later I get a letter from CJIS that I have no criminal record. Then a couple of weeks later, I get everything back from MSP, all signed and what not.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    If you recieve the CJIS letter, call the Handgun branch and they'll let you fax the letter to them, at which point they sign your forms and mail them off. Otherwise the forms will sit at the handgun branch until they realize you've been waiting a while and call CJIS to find out if you passed or not.

Shadowman

Mar 29, 2009
    Any one know if the ATF needs three fingerprint cards? MSP kept one of mine, so I only have two to give to ATF!

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    The ATF gets two blue cards, the MSP likes to hold your two blue cards (I dont know why, considering they did not run my blues after my orange card was destroyed) and keeps one purple card.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    Just for some clarification, I just got my form 4's for my MK23 can, It does NOT need to be MSP that signs off on them? If I can get harford county sherrif to sign off on them thats all I need?

The purple fingerprint card and $10 for MSP is just what they want to sign off on our form 4's?

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Just for some clarification, I just got my form 4's for my MK23 can, It does NOT need to be MSP that signs off on them? If I can get harford county sherrif to sign off on them thats all I need?

The purple fingerprint card and $10 for MSP is just what they want to sign off on our form 4's?

You need: 2 FBI blue cards,2 photos (one per form 4), check for 200 bucks, 2 copies of citizenship attestment form, and have CLEO sign item 17. If your Sheriff is cool with it, s/he can certainly take care of item 17 on form 4. make surethey sign both copies. You need to sign item 16 in the presence of CLEO. I have had the Wicomico County Sheriff do this for me in the past, and it totally satisfies the ATF. It does NOT have to go through MSP (although they would probably like you to do so). In fact, having the Sheriff sign off shaves 1-3 months off the wait time.
    D

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    You need: 2 FBI blue cards,2 photos (one per form 4), check for 200 bucks, 2 copies of citizenship attestment form, and have CLEO sign item 17. If your Sheriff is cool with it, s/he can certainly take care of item 17 on form 4. make surethey sign both copies. You need to sign item 16 in the presence of CLEO. I have had the Wicomico County Sheriff do this for me in the past, and it totally satisfies the ATF. It does NOT have to go through MSP (although they would probably like you to do so). In fact, having the Sheriff sign off shaves 1-3 months off the wait time.
    D

Thanks, I wasnt sure there if there was additional MD legislation to wade though or not. Hopefully Sheriff Bane will sign off on it for me.

CKOD

Jan 30, 2009
    FYI Harfod county residents, Sheriff Bane just called me and said that he would indeed sign off on ATF form4s
    I already had mine sent off to the MSP, and I made sure to thank him for being NFA friendly, but anyone else in the county needing a CLEO signature try to get ahold of him.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    FYI Harfod county residents, Sheriff Bane just called me and said that he would indeed sign off on ATF form4s
    I already had mine sent off to the MSP, and I made sure to thank him for being NFA friendly, but anyone else in the county needing a CLEO signature try to get ahold of him.

So is it our responsibility to get his signature? do we bring it to him or mail it how do you do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom