• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    My wife was in the mood to go to the range today, expressing interest in learning how to handle the pistol better. You should understand that she has only gone to the range four other times and that up until about a year ago had never even touched a firearm. So getting her to go to the range, let alone asking to go, is an amazing thing! :party29:

She was a little over dressed for the range but she felt like looking good. She was sporting a fair amount of cleavage, so I wasn't going to complain.

I went over the basics again, focusing on safety, and then started working on her grip. We set up one of those targets that lets you know what you are doing wrong based on where the bullet hits, and then she started getting some rounds down range. She was doing pretty well and was correcting for what the target was telling us so I started working on more advanced techniques and farther ranges... This required me to demonstrate a couple of shots for her, and this is where things went wrong.

I was on her left, so as to be on her weak-hand side and away from ejecting cartridges. When I fired, I was still on her left side. If she were an experienced shooter she would probably have seen this lapse in judgment on my part and moved out of the way, however she is not, and she did not. I fired and sent a hot 9mm casing right into her awaiting cleavage, at which point she began to scream and claw at her chest... She did retrieve the casing fairly quickly but not before a nice little first degree burn welted up.

After that she had a nice cry, mostly due to the scare, and then zipped her jacket all the way up. She did shoot some more after this and made some good progress, thankfully she is not finished with the range and shooting for life after that.

Moral of the story; Cleavage is great, but at the range it's a good idea to keep it out of the way of hot brass, or just plain cover it up for safety's sake.

Last edited:

Wiley-X

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 25, 2011
    Happened to my well endowed wife (then girl friend) the first time she went shooting. After that, she didn't wear scooped necklines to the range.

BTW, whelped, whelping, whelps verb, intransitive
    To give birth to whelps or a whelp.

I think that you meant "welted."

Harpoon76

Dec 4, 2008
    Bossier City, LA
    My wife never owned anything with a remotely respectable neckline prior to us going to the range (which is the way I like it). I recall our first range trip before we got married ... it was followed very shorty by a shopping spree that involved purchasing footwear without 4-6 inch heels and boob protecting sweaters.

Was a good time.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    This part tell me either you have been married a long time, or you will be! :)

...If she were an experienced shooter she would probably have seen this lapse in judgment on my part and moved out of the way...

Glad it didn't turn her off shooting! :thumbsup:

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    What if you are wrong about the burn being 1st degree? If you provide pics, we can help identify. :innocent0

Seriously though, it is a good lesson for her to learn early. Hopefully she doesn't get shared away from the sport.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    This part tell me either you have been married a long time, or you will be! :)

Glad it didn't turn her off shooting! :thumbsup:

Only been married two and a half years, but going on five years together overall. In a relationship Men are always wrong, and women own all of what they make and half of what you do...;) But this was definitely my fault for not foreseeing the danger.

Lord Baltimore

Aug 26, 2010
    Good thread.

I checked The NRA Pistol Instructional guide, and it includes nothing about cleavage, or .40 being the gay round.:)

Important ommissions IMO. I will write a letter.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    Happened to my well endowed wife (then girl friend) the first time she went shooting. After that, she didn't wear scooped necklines to the range.

BTW, whelped, whelping, whelps verb, intransitive
    To give birth to whelps or a whelp.

I think that you meant "welted."

Thanks, fixed it! She did not have a newborn puppy on her chest all of a sudden. LMAO

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Glad she didn't get turned off to shooting and, yes, we need pictures to make a proper recommendation for future attire.

It's happened to my wife too although she is not, shall we say, abnormal in that area. I also watched it happen to another MDS member's wife with a .22 who's cleavage made it just a matter of time lol.

So my take on it is that boobs at the range are susceptible to the "hot brass dance' no matter what size :). This is especially true at places like Hap Baker where there is a barrier between lanes for the brass to bounce off of. In both cases mentioned above, the women did the most important thing: kept the pistol pointed downrange!

As for me, I had a 9mm casing somehow land INSIDE my glasses on the one day I didn't wear a ball cap. I knew better, my fault. I was lucky that it landed on my cheek and not "in" my eye.

Brass goes everywhere. I've found it in coat pockets, in my shoes, and even had it go down behind my collar on my back.....thankfully it caught in the waist band of my jeans and didn't continue down into the crack (though I saw a video of that by a navy guy on a ship lol).

Proper attire IS a good idea at the range. It seems that whatever is left vulnerable will be found.

Splitter

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Maybe it's my high tolerance for heat but I have never found pistol brass to be all that hot. I catch them all the time and I'd say they are warm, but I never knew they could actually burn the skin.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I had a casing from a FAL go down the back neck of my T shirt at one of the MDS fall shoots. That sucker was hot, and the shooter wasn't even in the lane next to me!

Anyway, yes girls should always cover up at the range or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Glad she didn't get turned off to shooting and, yes, we need pictures to make a proper recommendation for future attire.

It's happened to my wife too although she is not, shall we say, abnormal in that area. I also watched it happen to another MDS member's wife with a .22 who's cleavage made it just a matter of time lol.

So my take on it is that boobs at the range are susceptible to the "hot brass dance' no matter what size :). This is especially true at places like Hap Baker where there is a barrier between lanes for the brass to bounce off of. In both cases mentioned above, the women did the most important thing: kept the pistol pointed downrange!

As for me, I had a 9mm casing somehow land INSIDE my glasses on the one day I didn't wear a ball cap. I knew better, my fault. I was lucky that it landed on my cheek and not "in" my eye.

Brass goes everywhere. I've found it in coat pockets, in my shoes, and even had it go down behind my collar on my back.....thankfully it caught in the waist band of my jeans and didn't continue down into the crack (though I saw a video of that by a navy guy on a ship lol).

Proper attire IS a good idea at the range. It seems that whatever is left vulnerable will be found.

Splitter

So you suffered from the "behind the glasses on the cheek with no ballcap" and the "down inside the back collar to your jeans" syndroms too:lol2:. You must have been shootin' a Taurus as they are noted for doin' that. I'm sure that I'll be jumped on for that one:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom